REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2019

3.4
REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company President and CEO Matt Walz  (no image)
Matt Walz
1 Rating
  1. "What a great culture!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

People help each other. The entire team is completely focused on the company's success and so fun to be a part of.

Cons

Can be grind, but the hard work will pay off!

"Stable company, major player in renewable space"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really bright co-workers, management team is engaged and wants to be the best in the business, high integrity and desire to do right by our customers. Named a top 3 commercial solar contractor in the US and definitely in the top tier of solar EPCs. Office locations are in some of the most beautiful places you could hope to live. Pay is competitive and work/life balance is much better than I've seen at other jobs and other jobs in the renewable space.

Cons

Historically there was a lot of turn over at the top which meant vision changed regularly. However, current CEO has been in place for almost 3 years as has all of the Director staff.

Continue reading

"Awesome Company to Work for!"

5.0

Pros

Great company culture, everyone feels like they are fighting for a similar cause. There has been less management turnover in the last few years making it a more concise and clear message on the types of business we are going after. The Duke acquisition has been positive thus far and should be a real asset to anyone at the company from the growth of the company to the increase of individual opportunities within the shared companies.

Cons

It's Solar, and Solar is not an easy business to be in with constant changes in prices, technology, rates, tariffs. It is also Commercial Construction which is full of delays, permitting and unexpected surprises. So if you are looking for easy Sales or Project Management gig I do not recommend Solar in general! If you are looking for a solid company that grows responsibly, minimizes risk and stands behind their projects, then this is the company!

4. "Sales Representative"

I worked at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting, dynamic industry. Headquarters in a beautiful town. Fun people.

Cons

Solar rollar coaster ride. Same cons as have been listed on glass door for years now

5. "Fantastic."

Former Employee - Field Marketing Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

At the time everyone in management worked their way up from sales, so everyone was humble and knowing of what needed to be done not to mention they were filled with guidance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Poor buisness practices-edge of bankruptcy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Pros

People, travel, ability to work with all departments at all levels

Cons

Poor management, poor supervision, poor spending habits, verge of collapse due to poor buisness practices

7. "So So Management"

Pros

Working in SLO, working for a great cause, nice people.

Cons

Stingy high level leadership who consistently set unrealistic goals so no bonuses are ever paid.

8. "Solar Company"

2.0

Pros

Living in San Luis Obispo and awesome coworkers.

Cons

High turnover rate for upper management.

Continue reading

"Management is a revolving door"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, nice coworkers, great location

Cons

Frequent management turnover, lack of clear direction at all levels. Because management turns over so frequently, no one wants to make any big, conclusive decisions, which leaves a lot of internal improvements hanging in the air.

Continue reading
  10. "Would not recommend!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at REC Solar Commercial Corporation, a Duke Energy Renewables Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was good and work environment was pretty decent. The HR department made it a point to hold fun company events and they really made an effort, which I feel goes a long way.

Cons

Lacked leadership with management. Management set a really poor tone when they laid off so many employees right before the holidays, only to turn around and hire a significant number of new executives. Really hurt the culture in my opinion because everyone was afraid their job could potentially be on the line next.

Found 30 reviews