REC Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2018

3.3
Matt Walz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "No one will beat you over the head if you are late and they understand work/life balance for the most part" (in 3 reviews)

• "The company culture is more relaxed than at other places I have worked at, making it a pleasure to go work each day and give my best" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consultants frequently get involved with solar installation and project management issues" (in 2 reviews)

• "Company historically provides non-competitive pay at all levels" (in 2 reviews)

"Stable company, major player in renewable space"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really bright co-workers, management team is engaged and wants to be the best in the business, high integrity and desire to do right by our customers. Named a top 3 commercial solar contractor in the US and definitely in the top tier of solar EPCs. Office locations are in some of the most beautiful places you could hope to live. Pay is competitive and work/life balance is much better than I've seen at other jobs and other jobs in the renewable space.

Cons

Historically there was a lot of turn over at the top which meant vision changed regularly. However, current CEO has been in place for almost 3 years as has all of the Director staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to pay competitively, keep our talented team in place and continue to recruit A players only!

"Awesome Company to Work for!"

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, everyone feels like they are fighting for a similar cause. There has been less management turnover in the last few years making it a more concise and clear message on the types of business we are going after. The Duke acquisition has been positive thus far and should be a real asset to anyone at the company from the growth of the company to the increase of individual opportunities within the shared companies.

Cons

It's Solar, and Solar is not an easy business to be in with constant changes in prices, technology, rates, tariffs. It is also Commercial Construction which is full of delays, permitting and unexpected surprises. So if you are looking for easy Sales or Project Management gig I do not recommend Solar in general! If you are looking for a solid company that grows responsibly, minimizes risk and stands behind their projects, then this is the company!

Advice to Management

It seems you have been trying to right a ship that experienced a lot of change over the last 5 years and things feel like we finally have a clear direction and path to achieve those goals. Your investment in company culture and the morale seems to have really made an impact across the organization. Keep it up as the employees are truly what makes this company special. Matt Walz has really helped the transition for REC Solar in becoming part of the Duke Energy Renewables Team and helping Duke see what REC Solar can bring to the table.

3. "Sales Representative"

I worked at REC Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting, dynamic industry. Headquarters in a beautiful town. Fun people.

Cons

Solar rollar coaster ride. Same cons as have been listed on glass door for years now

Advice to Management

don't bite off more than you can chew. Grow organically, not by staffing up for a huge company, then cut relentlessly. Again, this has been a problem here for years

4. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Inside Solar Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Solar Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at REC Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office environment was great. Wonderful coworkers. Lots of perks. Most importantly, I was proud of what I was doing!

Cons

Fairly competitive. Lots of pressure to book appointments.

5. "Fantastic."

Former Employee - Field Marketing Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at REC Solar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time everyone in management worked their way up from sales, so everyone was humble and knowing of what needed to be done not to mention they were filled with guidance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Poor buisness practices-edge of bankruptcy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, travel, ability to work with all departments at all levels

Cons

Poor management, poor supervision, poor spending habits, verge of collapse due to poor buisness practices

Advice to Management

Control field project spending, invest more time and money into actionable sales, keep good team members when you have them

7. "So So Management"

I worked at REC Solar full-time

Pros

Working in SLO, working for a great cause, nice people.

Cons

Stingy high level leadership who consistently set unrealistic goals so no bonuses are ever paid.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals

8. "Solar Company"

I worked at REC Solar full-time

Pros

Living in San Luis Obispo and awesome coworkers.

Cons

High turnover rate for upper management.

Advice to Management

Value your people, they are humans who will work hard for you if you treat them right.

"Management is a revolving door"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice coworkers, great location

Cons

Frequent management turnover, lack of clear direction at all levels. Because management turns over so frequently, no one wants to make any big, conclusive decisions, which leaves a lot of internal improvements hanging in the air.

Advice to Management

Please stop turning over every 6 months, enforce company policies and procedures among the salespeople, and provide a clear direction.

10. "Would not recommend!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at REC Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good and work environment was pretty decent. The HR department made it a point to hold fun company events and they really made an effort, which I feel goes a long way.

Cons

Lacked leadership with management. Management set a really poor tone when they laid off so many employees right before the holidays, only to turn around and hire a significant number of new executives. Really hurt the culture in my opinion because everyone was afraid their job could potentially be on the line next.