RED Interactive Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Brian Lovell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work / life balance, at least in my field of work in the company (in 10 reviews)

• 401k, gym membership, dry cleaning, happy hours, competitive vacation) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Any place doing great work like they are, will have long hours (in 3 reviews)

• Very top heavy, with more directors and VPs than junior level employees (in 2 reviews)

"I like coming into work"

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

-Collaborative, talented, and motivated individuals work here
    -Everyone is NICE to one another
    -Everyone is friends with everyone. I would feel comfortable talking to anyone here about something professional or personal. I feel like my coworkers have my best interests at heart
    -Fun "agency" perks. Park Day. Inspirational Days. Happy hours.
    -Food for the office
    -A place that I can really grow my career
    - I feel supported and happy here everyday. Truly some of the best professional individuals I have ever worked with.

Cons

None I can think of at the moment!

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with employees and help them reach their career goals.

"Amazing Talent"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RED consistently employs top talent and cultivates an environment that promotes growth for team members. This is evident in the company's ability to maintain quality while expanding in size and expertise.

Brian believes in taking care of people. It shows in the way he interacts with his employees and the team that he's built to guide and protect the company's culture.

Cons

Wish it was just called RED.

Aug 21, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the great work and dedication. For you, we’ll go by “RED.”

"RED is a Pretender That's Quickly Falling Behind On Many Industry Standards"

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

- Fully stocked kitchen
    - Friendly people
    - Good location
    - Parking

Cons

- Full of social cliques
    - Secretive, inaccessible management
    - No confidence in their youth
    - Serious lack of mentorship or growth opportunity
    - Stale leadership that relies on their previous background too heavily
    - HR decisions are made on how well liked someone is, not their performance
    - Nepotism
    - Low pay, inconsistent bonuses/raises
    - Extreme lack of diversity

Advice to Management

Leaning on the experience that got RED to where it is today will not get RED to where it wants to be in the future. Current leadership prides themselves on being industry veterans, but their skills and vision are limited by those same achievements because they won't accept change. Empower the younger generation at RED and open your ears and eyes to their ideas. Strengthen the lines of communication to and from leadership and be more transparent with the employees about the status and direction of the company, even when it's not what they want to hear.

Sep 6, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

We're bummed to hear that this is how you felt. I wish that we had the opportunity to address some of these sentiments while you were here. We would have wanted to support you, emphasize the growth... More

"Great Salary / No Diversity or Opportunity"

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

– Decent Salary and Opportunity to Learn. I found it incredible that they kept me around after a client pulled their budget for the year.

– Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

– Not enough junior level workers and too many VPs and Directors. This then makes someone who is junior level to work excessive hours without recognition and a gap when SOWs are written.

– When I left, they were 19% female and roughly 90% Caucasian males. Oddly enough for a Disney Christmas project, I was the only female who had a Christian background. I was told to go for diversity purposes.

– No growth. I worked extremely smart and hard to get a promotion and the VP I worked with did everything in his power to undermine my efforts and attack my character multiple times. This is why I left.

– HR is cliquey. You won't feel like you can go to them with issues without them spewing it to the entire office. If you are not liked by any of them for personal reason, they will find a way to get rid of you... and quickly.

Advice to Management

Hire more junior level employees to physically do the work that directors and VPs won't do. I would recommend replacing many of those VPs and Directors as they don't have the soft skills to manage these junior level employees. I'd also recommend that HR be less cliquey and work on making sure these junior level employees feel supported. Please start recognizing those who work smart and well.

Jul 28, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We’re disappointed that your experience here didn’t reflect our values.

Increasing our diversity is something we are always thinking about. We employ several... More

"Eh, cool but not for everyone"

Pros

Fun, hip environment that really focuses on employees happiness. Most people are nice and friendly. People are working on cool projects.

Cons

The racial demographics probably work out to be about 95% white. 90% at the minimum. Definite cliquey exclusive environment. Not many people over age 35.

Advice to Management

Diversify!! Having some international employees that are mostly white is not effective diversity. We literally have one Black employee. Not okay.

Jul 28, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

While your stats are not accurate, we certainly agree with you that diversity is critically important to our business. Different backgrounds, experiences... More

"Inconsistency throughout each department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment.

Some genuinely interesting work.

Office location is convenient.

Cons

There is a wide of a skill gap between individuals that share titles. Hard to determine what the actual requirements are for a position outside of longevity.

Inefficient use of time and resources, many decisions appear frantic and reactionary.

Very top heavy, with more directors and VPs than junior level employees.

Advice to Management

Hold off on promotions.

Jul 28, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Years ago, Brian was opposed to having titles at all. He just wanted everyone to focus on the work.

He still does. But as we’ve grown... More

"Great company culture"

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, friendly people
    Fun projects and great clients for your resume
    Access to upper manangement
    Great company culture: happy hours, weekly company-wide meetings, comped meals when working thru lunch/dinner, etc.

Cons

Unbelievably long hours, client-is-always-right mentality even when client clashes with an entire department
    Poor performing staff kept on long after they should be fired because of years at company... Disheartening for staff working hard to compensate for these people

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff when they're having trouble

Aug 21, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. We’re excited you liked the people (we do too), the open-door leadership style, and our culture.

We do our best to cultivate an account services practice that balances... More

"Ethics Anyone?"

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wasn't there long enough

Cons

Agency struggling to figure out the space they need to play.

Some members of leadership have been there so long that they don't understand how to support and mentor incoming talent.
    Stale business and growth planning
    Cheap

Advice to Management

The ad industry is small. Your ethical and moral values are reflected by the way in which you exit your employees and your business will be judged the same.

Change out leadership with stale and limited knowledge on technology.

Jun 30, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

It's never easy to exit someone from the company. These decisions are not made lightly. However, if someone is not performing, and we've done what we can to try to make them successful, we have to... More

9. "great place for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

I have worked at RED for several years. There is a lot of opportunity for growth here and all levels get to work on innovative projects. Everyone is really friendly and collaborative, it has been a good experience. The team leads are very supportive too.

Cons

Communication from leadership is not always consistent, but it has gotten better.

Aug 21, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Hey, thanks. We’re glad you’re enjoying it.

If you have thoughts about how we can continue to improve our communication, please let us know!

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Artist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Artist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the culture the people and the opportunities here. They care about their employees, and quality is very important. It's fun to work with so many skilled and talented people. I've worked for multiple game studios in the past, but this one takes the cake. The games we do for clients are quality, and it really shows as they all get featured in the app store. I just feel grateful to be a part of the success.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

great job guys. keep it up ;).

Aug 21, 2017 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thank you. We appreciate the feedback, kind words, and the winky face.