RED Interactive Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Brian Lovell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work / life balance, at least in my field of work in the company" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great company culture: happy hours, weekly company-wide meetings, comped meals when working thru lunch/dinner, etc" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Any place doing great work like they are, will have long hours" (in 3 reviews)

• "Very top heavy, with more directors and VPs than junior level employees" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m new to RED and have had a wonderful experience so far! Their onboarding process is meant to make the new hire feel totally immersed in the culture and welcomed from day 1. They take you out to a welcome lunch on your first day and introduce you to everyone in the company. The first week you get to have orientations with the CEO, COO, your manager, and other team members you’ll be working closely with. Lastly, you get to attend a presentation and learn about all of the clients and work we do! I felt immediately at ease and comfortable. Everyone at this company seems to really enjoy what they do the office environment reflects that. It also helps that they have every snack imaginable. I’m loving it so far!

Cons

No cons to share so far!

"Not A Place For Good Creative"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was at Red, they had pretty good perks like stock refrigerators and happy hours. The company did have some talented people working for them. Unfortunately that's where the pros end.

Cons

There were so many cons, that I don't have the time to write them all down. First, this company loves hiring "Creative Visionaries" which is a fancy way of saying Creative Directors who are really not creatives. This creates a problems when creative directors are trying to tell a designer to do something that doesn’t make sense.

These creative directors, and producers often ate up the majority of the budget on project leaving the designer very little time and money to create awesome work.

Creative Directors get credit for work that they had very little to do with, often leaving the designer who work many tiring hours behind.

Designers are paid very little, even though they are the hardest working in the company.

This company doesn’t know how to treat their talent.

There is no respect for the creative process. This place prefer quantity over quality, which is very sad.

There are many cliques, and if you don’t suck up, you will be used and then tossed aside.

Many of the talented designers have left, and I would recommend no designer to ever work here.

Advice to Management

Hired creative directors who have talent and who are not just talk. And make strong creative the core vision of the company.

3. "High pay; horrible management."

Former Employee - Games in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Games in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some incredibly talented and awesome dudes (that are not management) to work with

Some fun projects with huge potential occasionally roll through the office

Cons

Management doesn’t listen to anyone (internally or externally) that isn’t in their bro clique.
    Creative direction is only inspired by whatever game management is playing.
    Management continues to get hung up on the things that don’t matter, so they miss the mark entirely by letting the things that do matter slip by.
    The best ideas live and die in the design room, because management makes all their design decisions at home.

Advice to Management

Management is supposed to set the example of work ethic. This problem roots from the top.

The vast majority of your employees have more professional experience making games than anyone in management, you should listen to them more than not.

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to good clients, although a lot of the work gets scuttled before it sees the light of day.

Cons

There's an Etch-a-Sketch mentality at work here in terms of the hierarchy, where titles are handed out, devisions are created, then a few months later everything is reset. It leads to a lot of confusion and uncertainty, and an environment where those with the strongest egos and least empathy grab the most land.

There's an insiders group of brown nosers here that have it very easy, while everyone else if left to fight over the scraps.

I'd stay away.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Reward talent and work ethic, not just the people you drink with.

"Loved working there. They invest in their people."

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

RED was as much a family as a workplace to me. The people are fantastic committed to doing great work and helping each other succeed. I most appreciated that it is a culture where they want to continually invest in their own people. You see that in the leadership being mostly from within. If you're willing to invest in RED, they will help you achieve your own goals.

Cons

It's a flat organization which is great for hand-raisers and those who want to move fast. However, that flatness can cause some confusion around roles and responsibilities. My advice is to be open and ask questions when you're unsure. Leadership is very open to those questions.

6. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredibly talented and friendly

You always feel supported, set up for success, and like you're part of a team

Leadership genuinely cares about your growth

Cons

The current office is not dog friendly

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Thanks for the open door policy

"Meh."

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

- Some exceptionally talented creatives and developers.

- A lot of unique personalities.

- Great location, lots of fresh air.

Cons

- Directors. They're everywhere. But none of them can execute. Titles don't mean anything here, so what's the point of handing them out like skittles?

- Cliques. Yes, they exist, like any other agency. Leadership and management are easily swayed by these cliques and picking sides. Being Switzerland doesn't work here and it'll turn you into a pariah real quick.

- A very petty and passive-aggressive attitude, also apparent in leadership. It goes a step further, when they start pulling attempts to undermine you.

Not going to waste time going further with cons... There's too much to write. None of this is out of spite, but simply what I have witnessed during my time at Red. Morale is constantly crushed and damage-control emails/meetings are very frequent.

The day I was let go, I was bombarded by petty personal attacks about my character, since they couldn't get their arguments against my work to stick. But half of me was already expecting this and the other half was relieved/glad, wanting to bolt for the exit.

Advice to Management

Do you.

"A wonderful place to work."

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. Nobody has an ego, and everyone on the leadership and HR teams truly have an open door policy. Clients are for the most part a pleasure to work with. I learned a lot in my time at RED and I feel great having such a well respected agency on my resume.

Cons

Workload can be very hot and cold. In my experience, I was slammed some weeks, working extra hours in order to finish a deliverable on time. Other times, I had very little to work on. It would have been nice to have a more steady stream of work. Vacation time and 401k match seemed to be a bit subpar.

"Solid Spot with Solid Clients"

Current Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm neither recently-let go nor do I work in HR, so this is probably a bit more honest than some of these other reviews. Here's what I like about it:

- Almost every project that comes in is from a well-known brand or property

- Agency does a very good job at dividing work (somewhat) evenly - they use the 10k app to estimate time and allocations on every project and try to keep it reasonable. Along those lines, pitches aren't just "extra work" - they're accounted for in 10k like any other project

- Haven't had to work for any high-strung / insane people

- Most accounts are a project-based relationship. This is a pro and a con, but on the pro side, there hasn't been that "oh @#$% we lost the ______ account and half the agency is getting laid off" days. (That said, the agency did just cut an entire department because it wasn't busy enough, so it's not immune to the turbulence that seem to affect every agency.)

Cons

Here's the stuff that's less impressive:

- Benefits are average. 401k is below average. During the holidays RED stays open, so you have to take off the time if you want it off.

- No matter when you have to pee, there's a good chance the person cleaning the bathroom will be in there and it's closed and you can't pee

- Agency leans heavy on entertainment clients. Can be a pro (watching TV at work!) but these clients can be a bear

- The range between exciting projects and boring ones can be extreme. Two creatives could spend a year here and have wildly different portfolios - one great... while the other has basically nothing to show

Advice to Management

I really wouldn't mind if I had to clap less at company meetings.

"Talented People / Company on the Decline"

Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great group of people.
    - A lot of talented, multifaceted employees.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Great work produced.

Cons

- New management.
    - Company culture has become toxic in recent months.
    - Mass firings without notice (right before the holidays too).
    - Extremely top heavy leaving very few people to execute the work.
    - Has a habit of burn vendors/third parties.

Advice to Management

Thin the herd at the top. Too many decision makers making too many contradictory decisions. RED is it's own worst client and has no inclination to change. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.