RED Interactive Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Lovell

"Outstanding Agency Full of Innovators and Thought-Leaders"

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I moved to LA from NY after working in multiple agencies, both big and small, and in multiple roles, so I can truly stand by that RED has some of the most talented and dedicated employees that I have worked with throughout my career. If you are looking for a shop that is full of forward-thinkers and an agency that supports their employees visions and ideas, then this is the place for you. Great work/life balance too!

Cons

With the agency being on two floors, you have to make the effort of interacting with people on the other floor if you don’t have a project with them.

"An Agency that Respects its Employees"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

RED takes its employees seriously, and wants them to be genuinely happy. The team is as friendly as it is talented, and the company culture is carefully crafted to be encouraging and collaborative. RED is the sort of place that's eager to see you reach your full potential, and surrounds you with the resources to do it. RED maintains a comfortable work environment and provides flexibility with individual employee's needs.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be too big a division between the talents on the ad team and web - would be great to have more cross collaborative opportunities between the two.

Advice to Management

Never stop surveying the thoughts of the team - everyone at RED is there because they're smart, talented and approachable, and there are lots of good opinions to be heard on the constantly developing digital landscape

"Not For Everybody"

Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really tries to swing for the fences creatively. Wants to be more than just a digital shop. Doing a lot more OOH, more broadcast, more experience stuff. Kind of has to.

Cons

There's a really narrow cast of characters they pick from. Not everyone is welcomed. Not the United Nations in there. More Manchester United, if you know what I mean.

Advice to Management

The world does not need another macho, bully-box agency. Think about diversity. Pretend to, anyway.

RED Interactive Agency Response

Jun 30, 2016 – VP, Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that your experience at RED didn't reflect the diversity of our talent. To provide a little more context, our primary objective is to hire ... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - California in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - California in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great team of designers and technologists. I found the management structure to be conducive to my workflow; I encountered no micromanagement. Employees are supportive and talented. People's work ethic is admirable as well. Great perks too: free lunch if you'd like!

Cons

I am not the right person to cite any cons. Had a wonderful experience.

"Welcomed Since Day 1"

Pros

The work is fun
    The people are passionate
    Everyone is welcome and easily fits in
    Everyday is a different adventure
    Management wants you to succeed

Cons

Current building is not pet friendly (building rules, not RED rules)

"Nice place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at RED. People are respectful and professional. The leadership is friendly and open the suggestions. This company has positive, strong yet humble energy. Good work/life balance. The company doesn't expect you to work late as a lot of digital agencies do.

Cons

RED doesn't provide as much young fun digital agency culture as some other places do. The culture here in general is more reserved. For people who like experiential projects - along with the company's growth, the projects have transitioned to more long-term platform projects. I personally see this as a trade of work/life balance.

"I Love This Place"

I have been working at RED Interactive Agency full-time

Pros

I have been at RED for a number of years and it’s without a doubt the best place I’ve ever worked. The culture is amazing, the people are friendly and uber-talented, and the broader leadership team is smart, supportive and knows what they’re doing. Plus, RED has mostly big marquee brands that lean on RED as a true partner. Honestly, I love this place.

Cons

No company is perfect, RED included. On occasion the work comes in fast and you may see people working long hours to bring it over the finish line (but generally the work-life balance is good). And as the company continues to grow and expand its capabilities, there are sometimes breakdowns in process (which are mitigated by great operations people). But overall I find the RED experience to be highly rewarding.

"Amazing people and culture"

Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work at, the culture and the people are the best part. They will only hire you if you fit the company's culture which imo is super important. Everyone is super pumped about what they're doing and this is a huge plus because people will really try their best to come up with extraordinary work.
    Creative space and great office location. Good work / life balance, at least in my field of work in the company.

Cons

They're divided into 2nd / 3rd floor spaces and this gap is pretty hard to close, it makes it hard to interact with the 'other' floor of the company.
    Compensation might not be the best out there but you'll be really happy working here.

10. "One of the best digital agencies on the west coast, but going through some growing pains."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RED Interactive Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Open door policy.
    - Everyone is super friendly
    - Awesome work culture
    - RED works with huge clients
    - Great Health Insurance and Benefits
    - Close to the beach/ great location
    - RED has a very diverse/smart group of people

Cons

- Not a lot of ownership of work
    - Can feel like mostly production at times
    - Titles don't really seem to matter or dictate day to day responsibilities
    - Management not transparent about vision or company structure within teams

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to incentivize and keep your top talent besides just monetary gain. Delegate responsibilities and give more ownership to top talent so it feels less like everyone is doing production. Hire and develop more junior/ lower level talent. Also, try promoting more from within and keep track of progress.

"Excellent company where the people make the difference"

Former Employee - Account Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Here are the highlights:
    Competitive salary
    High standards for hiring
    Creative and strategic people
    Approachable, smart CEO and a President who leans in
    CDs are extremely well-rounded

Overall, you can't go wrong with working at RED, especially if you're a sociable, friendly person who likes the agency life. If you have a problem with the occasional long week, changing scope and fluctuating requirements, then you probably shouldn't work for an agency.

One thing that you may want to consider is how you like to work. Everyone at RED works in an office (often shared with other people, but still in a room), so there isn't open seating. That means you have to make an effort to get to know your neighbor. Everyone is SO friendly so it shouldn't be hard, but if you're not one to say hello, you may feel isolated.

You have a lot of autonomy to run your project/accounts the way you feel they should be run. That isn't always the case elsewhere, so it's a great thing here. You are encouraged to forge your own path, and RED will support your journey. Leadership will support you through and through.

I could definitely see myself at RED long-term. I left as a personal choice, but it had nothing to do with RED as a company. It's a stellar outfit with amazingly smart people.

Cons

Highlights:
    It's the agency life, so sometimes work-life balance isn't the best
    There is a division of upstairs and downstairs that is hard to bridge
    If you're a good producer or account person, you may get more work, not less, because you're reliable.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see a situation where strong producers are rewarded with more leadership responsibilities and not more projects. It's a double-edged sword: You know you can count on these rockstars, but putting difficult projects on their plate is often seen as a punishment, not a reward. Don't burn out your best players. They should be rewarded for being amazing and not "punished" with the task of clean-up crew for difficult projects.

Give strong producers the chance to mentor junior producers. Producers are as good as the habits they keep, and those with good habits can teach others the best practices of running a smooth project.

Small rewards go a long way. Giving a comp day to someone who has really busted his/her tail or a thank-you gift card from leadership means a lot. I once had a president of a company leave a hand-written thank you note on my desk after a series of 70+ hour work weeks when I didn't think anyone had noticed. I remember it to this day and how encouraged it made me feel. Sometimes just being thanks sincerely can be a great reward.

Also, don't underestimate how much people look up to you. Sometimes people have opinions on a project but they feel they can't voice their opinion because it goes against the thoughts of someone on leadership. I think encouraging people to have different opinions that are backed up with solid rationale should be encouraged. Otherwise, many times people will bend to whatever leadership suggests, even if that person may know more about the project and the project's history to make a different (maybe better?) decision.

I know that sounded like a lot of negative things, but it's really a testament to how much the leadership team is doing right. The culture, the people and the cohesive roadmap (the weekly company meetings are something I think every company should do) are all indications of what RED is doing right. Leadership (at least in my short time at RED) is a strong team that knows itself well and strives to improve itself everyday. It's much more strategic than many other leadership teams I've encountered, and deserves credit for working to constantly improve itself and its processes.