REI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke
Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, the company took the employees needs and concerns seriously (in 114 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, employee focused company, great discounts on gear, overall positive culture (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • hard to find hours when part time (in 78 reviews)

• re often made to believe that they have a shot at moving into a full time position if they meet their goals (in 76 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work PT"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super fun coworkers and customers. Really feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself.

Cons

Favoritism is the standard here. If you're in with the managers, you're golden. Otherwise you're invisible. Not enough hours most of the time, which sucks because REI tends to hire a high caliber staff and then pay them peanuts. It's disheartening.

Advice to Management

There are great people who you may be overlooking. Take time to get to know all your people. And pay us a living wage.

2. "Color Developer"

I worked at REI full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Fun co- workers

Cons

New CEO shifted values and business, not the same REI

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture.

3. "Great place most of the time"

Current Employee - Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Service Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

REI is named in Fortune magazine's top places to work every year and it is great! The people making up REI are truly great. Everyone is going on a different adventure or getting into something new and there are always people to turn to for advice. Every year you get two paid days off that are meant to get you outside using all of the gear you have acquired through all the awesome prodeals. It's really easy to switch to a different store if you move across the country.

Cons

Sometimes the management can be a bit demanding. It sometimes is helpful but sometimes its just overwhelming.
    Customers expect us to make them happy and if we can't or wont, it can get a little heated.

Advice to Management

Stick to employees first and then customers. The number will come.

5. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at REI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI attracts some awesome people who believe in the mission statement

Cons

very narrow minded leadership, not open to new ideas

Advice to Management

value new ideas and be open to doing things differently

6. "Sales Lead"

I worked at REI full-time

Pros

great coworkers, benefits, learned lots and met some great people

Cons

doesn't pay a living wage, little opportunity to move up, completely open availability for full-time positions

7. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at REI (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Co-workers, you will meet friends to pursue outdoor goals you have immediately. Low stress environment. Flexible hours. Generally a nice place to work. Pro-deals.

Cons

Corporate structure. Pay is horrendous, some employees were on the brink of homelessness. No guaranteed hours. Repetitive and boring after a couple years.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees a little more and understand that we all have rent to pay. Provide slightly more incentives for doing well at our positions.

8. "Clothing Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at REI part-time

Pros

Great staff, great benefits, 30-40% discounts 50% off REI branded gear.

Cons

Not enough hours available to work.

Advice to Management

Being micro managed on task that are self explanatory.

9. "Memberships are top priority!"

I worked at REI part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, pro-deals and store discounts!

Cons

They care more about selling memberships than they do anything else! Also their base pay is low for such a big company.

10. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA

I worked at REI (Less than a year)

Pros

REI has a great culture for those who are or want to be involved with the outdoors. Most people who work on the sales floor are highly knowledgable, not just in technical specifications for products but also in practical applications for individual pieces, even in situations that are not a part of the 'outdoor' context. If you don't know something, either about an outdoor activity or a product, you can quickly learn; REI has wonderful opportunities for learning, for employees, co-op members, and everyday customers.

REI also has a very good deal with the companies they deal with. Depending on the company, an employee can get an enormous discount off of wholesale value, even if it is only once a year. For items like bike racks and kayaks, once a year is enough!

REI has been doing better recently, which I partially attribute to the new CEO Jerry Stritzke. I left before he came onboard in Oct. 2013, but REI as a brand has flourished under his guiding hand.

Cons

Not all REI's are alike; I've been to ones with a high turnover and a corporate vibe (very profit driven), and others where the team has been together for years. At the store where I worked, it wasn't unusual to stick around and quite a few team members had been there for upward of five years. That being said, the culture wasn't conducive to fully welcoming new co-workers into the fold. As a part of the customer service team (where it is easiest to get a position; less training than other positions and a higher turnover rate), I was stuck behind a table ringing things and did not have a lot of opportunity to reach out; it also took a while for a team member to cross-train into another department. In part, this is because the team members in that department aren't likely to leave and open up another spot, but it seemed like the process was very slow.

Otherwise, hours were heavily dependent on which manager liked you and what sales were projected to be at. Managers seem to write the schedule on a rotating basis. If the upcoming week was projected to be slow and the manager writing the schedule liked you, then you were in the clear. Otherwise, it might be best to get a second job. I know of quite a few team members who left because they couldn't support themselves on the hours they were working. You could go from a few shifts a week to one shift every two weeks.

11. "Good company"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Tustin, CA

I have been working at REI part-time

Pros

Great pro deals, discounts for employees, and good work-life balance.

Cons

Low hours, low pay, lots of down time

Showing 217 of 1,063 reviews