REI Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

REI US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, the company took the employees needs and concerns seriously (in 122 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, employee focused company, great discounts on gear, overall positive culture (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Management roles in the company experience the worst levels of work/life balance in the company (in 35 reviews)

• Most employees are kept part-time (in 86 reviews)

"great company, great lifestyle"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

Pros

awesome coworkers, easygoing atmosphere, excellent company framework

Cons

it's retail - lots of flaky coworkers, and sometimes really young too.

"i enjoyed working at the warehouse but i feel that managers/supervisors can do a better job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Tacoma, WA

Pros

great pay
    nice people
    honest reviews

Cons

too much to handle sometimes
    never get to see our supervisors/managers

Advice to Management

connect with your crews more , ask questions and get feedback from them ; after all we do pretty much the hard part of the job.

3. "REI is an amazing, fun company to work for."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

People, flexibility, atmosphere. REI is great.

Cons

No cons. I really like working there.

Advice to Management

none - keep up the good work

"Seems to get worse over time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tualatin, OR

Pros

Great ProDeals and most of the store staff are fun to work with. The benefits are good if you work enough hours to be eligible for them.

Cons

Most employees get just enough hours that we fall short of getting holiday pay, vacation and premium plan healthcare. I do not know what management is like in other stores but management in this store is pretty ruthless unless you are an employee who sucks up to them.
    Morale here is pretty bad except for the new hires. It takes a while for the new people to see the gap between management Rah-Rah and what really goes on.

Advice to Management

REI is becoming less and less of what it holds itself up to be. It feels more like Target or Kmart than the REI of old. I know that you are isolated up in Kent but does this concern you enough to enforce some needed cultural sifts? Or are you content to let the cash roll in at any cost to store morale?

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales in Roseville, CA

Pros

Benefits, room for advancement, work life balance.

Cons

sales, they accept too many returns.

6. "great work environment - especially for retail"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN

Pros

High level of respect within staff and management, comprehensive training and support, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

It is retail after all, so no one will be getting rich at this.

Advice to Management

This was the best retail environment of a few that I had worked from high school age on. Everyone from top management down seems genuinely passionate about the outdoors, and I have made several lifelong friends that started as coworker relationships. Longevity of employment is the norm rather than the exception, and the 'corporate culture' is very healthy and employee-friendly. Keep up the good work; I'm glad for the years with you!

7. "A great place to work, if you can keep from spending all you money there!"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Benefits for part-time employees, as well as for full-time employees, employee discount program, flexibility of schedule, encouragement to participate in outdoor activities and service projects, product training, sales and service training

Cons

Corporate controlled retail environment, retail hours, lack of full-time opportunities available, sometimes a number-driven environment, performance review partly based on membership sales, high pressure emphasis on selling memberships, lack of employees when store is busy

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to staff the store so that there are enough employees to cover busy periods; this means you will have times when the store is not busy and staff will be in-excess of what may be needed at the time, but it ensures you won't have dissatisfied customers during the busy periods; also, this means you will have to increase the payroll budget

"Misleading"

Current Employee - Frontline Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Frontline Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Excellent employee discount. Customers are generally very nice. Convenient location. Co-workers are fairly nice. Clean and pleasant work atmosphere.

Cons

It starts out just fine. Kind of like going to camp, and then you realize very quickly REI isn't what they seem (at least the store I work at). There are constant contradictions: customer is #1, but we won't have enough cashiers to assist the customers because we are so worried about our bottom line; "celebrate the member and the non-member", but not too much! Don't take too long in conversations because you have other work to do; "shameless enthusiasm" as long as you can do a return, ring up a customer, and answer the phone all at the same time.

Probably the weirdest things the cheery management folks do (other that their enthusiastic "How's it going?" is that they like to give you little tests to see how you do. They play secret shopper on the phone when they can see that you are very busy. They plant little tests in your area's of responsibilities to see if you will pass. This can be as simple as going around and rearranging merchandise you just stocked, leaving mystery items on the content with misleading information, not giving you your check-off list to see if you can do the work without it; telling you to violate a policy and see if you do (or do they just forget what they trained you on or didn't train you on). Plant money in your drawer to see if you report it; talk to you like a naughty child in front of customers; have family and friends come in to test your skills and report back -- just plain old junior style management. Do they teach that stuff on one of REI's staff outings? Maybe with marshmallows around the evening camp fire?

You might be asking "What's the point of all of this?" I had to ask myself the same question after ruling out that I am not paranoid or delusional. It's really simple. It's about profit. Push those memberships above all else. I'm still not sure what that money really goes for, but it is really important. In fact, your job depends on it. They bring in people are a lower rate of pay, or bring in lots of people and offer them little hours. By giving little tests and keeping daily totals on membership sales they keep a running record on just how effective they feel you are to REI. If you fail to keep up with membership sales you are either reduced to very little hours or simply let go. Even if by all accounts you do a good job and are a good employee. They can and will find something to use against you. It's just a matter of time. Everyone has a off day or makes a mistake. Most people are probably completely shamed by this and never say anything about it. "How could those nice and cheerful folks be capable of such cold blooded acts?" "Who would believe you?" I think most just wonder off into the forest and try to move on. Never letting on to what a fake place REI is to work.

Advice to Management

Your training or lack of training is less than adequate. Most of the training is a bunch of company hype that you should have known before you got hired. All the really important stuff is just glossed over and just maybe that's be design. It's easier to blame the employee for not meeting standards than to properly training them. Hey, but that helps you cut the dead wood doesn't it? Get some professional training on training. Don't just had out the company materials or rely on the on-line resources.

"Horrible experience, don't work at this location!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI

Pros

-Customers can be awesome
    -Discounts (50% off REI products, 30% off all other brands)
    -Pro-dealing through companies
    -Work parties and management bringing on food which helped especially on days where there was a big sale
    -Breaks were fair and reasonable
    -Awesome pay for the job (start out at $9.90 an hour)

Cons

At my location, I had the unfortunate experience of working with management who were corrupt. They based their decisions based on politics and popularity of the individual. If you weren't in their inner circle, you weren't treated fairly. There was NO POSSIBLE WAY to make any of the managers happy. You think you're doing it right, and a manager tells you you're wrong. I was also shoved out of the way by a manager (literally) for dealing with a customer in the wrong way. The registers were made so that our backs were constantly to the customers and management would complain about us never looking back to see if customers were in line. ALSO, I worked there for a year and there was NO hope that I would ever move off of Frontline. I know that I did a great job, but management failed to base hours and promotions on job performance. There was absolutely no positive reinforcement. If something was my fault, I was battered and criticized until I cried. I had one specific manager that would constantly berate me, no matter what I did. It just seems like it would be a great place to work if the management wasn't as awful as it was at the Northville, MI location. Don't work here. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. Stop giving us the negative and tell us what we are doing right and how we can fix the wrong. Berating our performance is not going to help fix the situation, it will just make us not care even more. Also, stop pressuring the employees to sell memberships, when they aren't commission based and it also makes the job more fun when they're pushed so hard!

"It's all about who you directly work with... & it's totally corporate."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA

Pros

It's a relatively easy job, even in customer service with difficult customers that come there w/ problems.

Cons

The ideals/image of REI & the reality are not exactly the same. Very corporate
    The scheduling became increasingly difficult.
    Low compensation
    Having to push "memberships"
    Boredom factor... it is retail after all. Could be worse (as in sales associate)
    It's not as portable of a job as one would think... I know one person who moved cross country & was promised close to FT hours but kept getting less than 20h/wk.
    Evaluations are done thru some system that was clearly brought (bought) from some management consulting (software) company... not always reflective or considerate of all the factors.

Advice to Management

Every company has to evolve but its a shame REI has evolved so far away from it's roots & values. Big fast growth isn't always best.

Showing 31 of 1,177 reviews