REI Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They did have flexible hours and advertise a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Professional development hours are very helpful in expanding your skillset as REI encourages continuous improvement for every employee (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better, can be stubborn to grow or try new tech (team specific) (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of core working hours, so that folks can plan their daily activities better (in 8 reviews)

"No career growth"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work environment, too much emphasis is given to being cool. lots of company events, good amount of training available. 1 week of professional development leave.

Cons

bad benefits, only 3 sick days a year, no short term or long term disability benefits for h1-b visa employees, too many managers, crazy working hours.

Advice to Management

focus on employee career growth, why hire new people when expertise is available in-house. They need better ways of recognizing key players.

"Salesforce programmer"

Former Employee - Salesforce Developer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Salesforce Developer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, bagel Fridays, tuition reimbursement, the building is somewhat new, asks for employee inputs during all hands meeting, and basketball court.

Cons

Takes 6 years to get fully vested, which is pretty ridiculous. Low salary, lots of overtime without compensation. The cubicle scene is depressing. The company is cheap and unwilling to make employees few comfortable. At least provide some free snacks.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap, pay your workers a decent salary. Promote within and stop hiring the heartless managers.

"A Sinking Ship in Denial"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI needs help to evolve, so there are potential opportunities for smart, talented, and disruptive executives or managers who have a history of making real, impactful change happen. Solid vacation and otherwise decent benefits package. Free bagels on Fridays.

Cons

REI is a static and reactive company where very little has changed overall in the past 5+ years. Being static in IT for that long is a death sentence. Unless REI makes a concerted effort to drastically change, it will not be around a decade or two from now.

There is an ugly culture that dominates this company wherein honesty is not valued and employees are not trusted and it stems from the top down. You can see evidence of this in the previous review ("The People's Company"). Notions like "If you are unhappy here, you'll be unhappy anywhere!" and "There are very few cons, but I don't even want to talk about them." are tossed around, even from C-level executives. That is dishonest at best and manipulative propaganda at worst. It's great to be positive about the future - it's horrible to be obstinately blind to your flaws and to lie to yourself and to your employees. Avoiding tough truths and halfheartedly searching for short-term solutions to the company's problems are surefire ways to stagnate and fail in the long-term.

REI was a company of ~500 employees when I joined. It was a company of ~500 employees when I left over five years later, but not for lack of trying to grow. The company has been spinning its wheels and it has been going nowhere because there is simply no solid foundation to build upon. There is no real growth opportunity to be found there, either as a whole for the business or for the individuals therein, unless REI's management is able to bring about some very disruptive changes company-wide.

While there are some isolated teams which are technologically competent and up-to-date, they hardly represent the company as a whole. There are some very talented people here and there, but they are nearly always incorrectly utilized and mistreated. You'll often see that the most competent person on a team is also the most junior (both in title and experience) member of that team and that should never happen - that marks a critical failure in resource management. The company also has many of the pieces it needs for success, but it frankly has no idea how to use them.

REI is a purely reactionary company that has proven that it simply cannot plan for the future. I strongly suggest avoiding this company and looking elsewhere for employment if you are an IT professional. Is it absolutely the worst place in the world to work? No, but given the other options available in the DC area, there is no reason to settle for a sub-par, struggling company. If you do choose to join and are good or great at what you do, you are in for a world of stress and frustration.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow - Garbage in, garbage out. You absolutely must revamp your hiring process, rethink your approach to gathering, training, and retaining a talented workforce, and trim your personnel down to those who are actually providing true value, including eliminating wasteful and redundant managerial positions, while seeking to add higher quality hires.

You cannot afford to lose the talent that hasn't left, so you must begin to recognize and value the exceptional workers that you do have currently, which includes paying them competitively and rewarding them when they persevere and succeed, especially under difficult circumstances. You must learn how to create opportunities for advancement and promotion for the employees that shine the brightest. Most importantly, you have to learn to trust your employees from the top down.

Learn to think and act proactively. Look for the risks beyond the horizon and have a plan in place for them ahead of time. Acting in a reactive manner will only carry you so far before you lose the trust of your customers. You will continue to lose business if you fail to break the cycles of over-committing and under-delivering and at the heart of that cycle is a reactive mindset.

If the complacency continues unabated, REI will face a slow death in the years to come.

"Here comes marketing!"

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great curry aromas in the break rooms at lunch since most employees are Indian and bring their lunch to work.

Free parking.

Cons

Notice they recently received some low scores from employees. Watch now, as marketing plants phony reviews saying how great things are, in order to raise the scores and keep the trend line from dipping. Sad.
    They continue to turn over good people as soon as they figure out that these guys are a one-trick pony. Recent departures of senior managers, technical folks...it's always the same: you need to invest in the future if you want a future, but they don't. They just hold on and hope that something will change.

Advice to Management

If you are tired, retire. If you want to change the company, clean house.

"Look at positive reviews critically"

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are good at marketing themselves to new employees, likely because they lose so many people and are well practiced. They tout the "Best Place to Work" award but take a look at the actual article and you'll see it's only for the Washington D.C. metro area, excludes government jobs, which is by far the largest industry in D.C., and that they got beat by George Washington's Mount Vernon as a best place to work!

Cons

-People who have been around a while are either there to keep their visa, which management knows, or they are friends or family of management. New people are treated like pariahs and given little or no instructions, and then treated like they are incompetent.

-The "Best Place to Work" thing should be taken with a grain of salt. They hide that the list only covers the D.C. metro area, only showing the more broad "Best Place to Work" badge. If you look at any other Top Workplace lists in D.C., nearly all of them are government positions. The Washington Post only counted non-government companies, which shrinks the survey size significantly in that area. REI also got beat by Capitol One (look at their Glassdoor ratings..) the corporate entity that owns Sweetwater Tavern and other chain restaurants, and George Washington's Mount Vernon! If the survey shows that more people would rather work at a tourist trap, answering the same inane questions and dealing with bored schoolkids on a field trip, that's telling... Also on the list is Deltek, which made BizJournal's list of WORST companies to work for.

-HR is a joke. You'll get no response for looong stretches of time while you're interviewing and if you have issues with management, nothing will get done and you open yourself up for retaliation. Managers are horrible, manipulative and abusive. If you talk to a higher manager about issues you've had with your direct manager, you just end up with two managers who have it out for you.

-No room for growth

-Old outdated platforms and technologies

-I have no way of definitively proving it, but positive reviews on Glassdoor sound like HR seeding high ratings. They all talk about a great work/life balance, but that's a lie. All neutral and negative reviews all highlight a horrible work/life balance and I constantly got calls and emails well past midnight. 40 hours is the bare minimum they expect you to work. They also seem to know that Glassdoor sorts by "popularity" by default, so they only comment on positive reviews or negative ones where nothing of substance is said.

Advice to Management

You are the problem.

"This place is a Joke."

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

HR is protected and so are the managers. No matter what unethical things occur in the workplace HR will not go to bat for you because they are intimidated by senior leadership and the managers who have relationships with these executives.

Managers who are "in" with senior leadership have carte blanche to do what they want, when they want and to whom they want even when the actions are not warranted.

I do not recommend working here and I am surprised there have not been any lawsuits laid down upon this company with the way they have treated individuals. Plenty of other good opportunites in the area for you. Keep looking!

"Rubbish idiotic environment. Bunch of jokers"

Pros

Secure job for non performers as long as they do what they are forced to do

Cons

Everything that could be wrong at a workplace including harassment of women at the hands of male chauvinistic leadership. HR is in bed with the idiots

Advice to Management

Nothing can save u from disgrace. You have been a diagrace and will continue to be so.

"All-American sweatshop! Minus the Americans."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good digs, good work computer. I had enough time to pick up lunch at the gas station nearby and eat at my desk.

Cons

Above is the best I could do on good things. The employees are seen as tools, not people. I know this because I climbed the ladder quickly and got to hear the management discussions about their underlings. It's not good. I would never treat people the way they do by default.

I was working 13 hour days minimum, and I only tolerated it because I don't have dependents of my own. Please, do me a favor and don't ever entertain the idea of working at REI. You can thank me over a beer sometime.

Advice to Management

No advice, you're the problem. Just sell the company and move on.

"Sweatshop Masquerading as Government Contractor"

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flex hours
    - Can work from home occasionally, if pre-arranged with supervisor

Cons

- Unimaginative management.
    - Poor HR department.
    - Abysmal in-house communications.
    - Clients are never wrong.

Advice to Management

- Realize that REI is no longer a small business.
    - Hire managers with American know-how, who don't act like slaves in front of government clients.
    - Stop lying to employees and treating them like idiots.
    - Revamp the HR department to be a professional, pro-employee (instead of exclusively pro-management) organization.

"Very disappointing place to work for"

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are stable (so I thought) employment and steady work. Very smart CEO and technology is very advanced.

Cons

Lack of even a single African American in Management since company inception, if I say more it will be easy to know who I am so suffice it to say I am very unhappy .No promotion to good loyal employees, only friends and family get promoted. I was never promoted my entire time there, suffered discriminatory actions against me many times and even though it was brought to HR three times nothing was ever done, believe it or not. I was lied to repeatedly and generally treated very poorly by people there for far less time than I was, the manager of my team spent more time home than in the office and played favorites and ignored my hard work. I gave my best effort which never seemed to be enough until I discovered I was born with the wrong color skin and then I was able to see clearly. I was lied to repeatedly both in front of my face and behind my back and suffice it to say, I am unhappy about my time there and would not recommend this as a place to work unless you are able to have a thick skin, the managers are very hard driving and low complementing. I am glad I am elsewhere now because discrimination is real there. Those from the Northern part of India have it best there.

Advice to Management

New managers who actually care about their employees.