REI Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice workplace environment, flexible hours (does not mean less work) (in 14 reviews)

• Professional development hours are very helpful in expanding your skillset as REI encourages continuous improvement for every employee (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 5 reviews)

• Why would anyone want to work with such people (in 3 reviews)

"Average at best. If you're competent at what you do, you have far better options."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

* Very flexible office hours, you can come and go as you please as long as you get things done (with some managers).
    * Good medical benefits for the company size.
    * There are a few people in the company who are great at what they do. If you end up working there, find out who they are and stick with them; your life will be easier.

Cons

* Pays about 5-10k less than the average for software development positions in this area. The main figures on this site might be padded towards the high end, but you'll find out for sure if they make you an offer.
    * More fear with new technologies than innovation, and it leads to a lot of wasted effort in development and testing.
    * Falling behind with "cutting edge" technology. They're currently moving to .NET 3.5, but hardly anyone knows the framework and most are still programming from a non-OO perspective.
    * Project managers were promoted from senior development positions, and are lacking the interpersonal skills to do their jobs properly. They don't seem to read up on management or software books (or read far too many bad ones), as they often use catch phrases that sound good, but are effectively meaningless to the workers and don't help get anything done. They get angry at workers when deadlines slip (even if it isn't their fault), instead of just dealing with the situation professionally and working with the resources they have.
    * Some of the QA's think that giving you a hundred defect issues with one piece of information each is better than giving you ten issues with defects grouped logically. Leads to wasted time, frustration, and less work actually getting done.
    * Things are usually rushed, and code-quality practices are non-existent when deadlines come up. It's the type of environment where firefighting has taken precedence over most everything else.
    * Don't let HR glaze over the hours worked while you're interviewing, ask about it. When deadlines come up people are working late nights and weekend hours for 1-2 months before releases, which can happen every 4-6 months.
    * They've promoted technical people who don't have the skills for their position titles. I had a technical lead on a .NET 3.5 project who was supposedly "senior", but didn't know how to use LINQ, program with generics, or use partial classes with T4.

(Also, the awards listed on glassdoor for this company are misleading. Those are actually for "Recreational Equipment (REI)", not "REI Systems Inc.")

Advice to Management

* Potential employees couldn't care less what you do if you're offering lower salaries. Pay people at least the average for this area, and you can start attracting better talent to your workforce.

* You have employees who are visibly sitting on YouTube all day long and don't really do anything. This makes your threats laughable and demotivates workers who actually contribute. If you got rid of these people you might be able to afford to pay the productive people more and your workers would take you seriously when you have meetings on improvement.

* You're long overdue for an upgrade in the skills of your workforce. Either find some way to get the existing ones to learn the .NET framework and solid OO principles, or replace them with people who are already at that level.

"Worst Company to work For!"

Former Employee - Developer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A growing company with many project

Cons

Totally under staffed and real inexperienced management. Most of the line managers are from India with hardly any American work experience or knowledge of US labor laws.

At the time of interview, they will be really nice to you but when you actually start working for them, they will expect you to work every night as well as weekends. These managers will not ask you if you are busy during he nights or weekends, they will simply tell you that you need to get the work done during nights or weekends. No apology for asking you to work during the nights or weekends, they will simply require you to work when the managers want.

Advice to Management

Hire professional managers with American experience. make sure they have the knowledge of local labor laws. This company can do really well if the Top management tries to actually find out why so many good people leave this company. It is not if but when someone will sue them for forcing employees to work for 16 hours a day but paying only for 8 hours a day. This is a very unprofessional company.

"Cheap labor."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility with some very knowledgeable technical team members who are helpful. You can learn a lot while you are here. Very hands on.

Cons

Their salaries are well below industry average. I head people left got raises of 20K + in other companies when they left. I experienced this myself when I left the company. There are fewer americans and the companies has a lot of bound labor on visas.

Advice to Management

You have little idea how your managers treat employees

"Indian style of management."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly team members, supportive and understanding.

Cons

1. Inexperienced management. Bad planning, no value for people and hard work. Moreover, they make developers to pay for their own errors. They make you feel misarable and always judge you.
    2. A lot of overtime.
    3. A lot of actions against the labor law. Follow them or will be laid of. If you do not want to work overtime, you are not good team player.
    4. Nothing really interesting from technology side.
    5. They promote only people who they like, not who deserves promotion.
    I quit. Back to US.

"Few Spoiled eggs making things bad for all"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a good reputation with its customers and they are generally very satisfied. The senior management cares about the company and tries to promote healthy work environment. The corporate culture is good.

Cons

There are few bad managers who play politics and try to be dominant. They don't know how to talk to people and goes out of their way to prove their dominance. Why would anyone want to work with such people.

Advice to Management

Employees can't complain about their managers. Find and Fire these managers/resource managers.
    They can't be trained.

"Don't Let My Bad Experience be Yours!"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really nice hardworking people (who deserve better)
    Supportive of education and training that provides better skills for employees

Cons

The most unprofessional management team I have ever experienced, starting from the executive management on down. They hire a lot of HIB visa holders, and have no respect for a decent work-life balance, but cover this up with a lot of phony "corporate culture" speak that glorifies a work environment where bad management is ignored, or worse, rewarded, if you are able to get your staff to keep working harder and harder not smarter. Managers are promoted from within without a lot of support or mentoring because the senior staff are completely overleveraged or lack relevant experience themselves so they can't help. The end result is a lot of overtime and stress for the poor staff trying to do the work. The company says that its competitors are big tier 1 companies, which indicates how out of touch and arrogant the executive management is if they think they measure up to these companies. This company is on a downward spiral with no management vision or employee policies to shore it up. If you are absolutely desperate for a job, then take one with them, but keep looking - you'll be glad you did.

Advice to Management

Replace the entire management team if you want to compete with the companies you say you do in your corporate write up. Stop killing the messengers.

"They Make Commitments They Don't Intend to Keep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Utmost job security for non-performers
    2. High focus on keeping employees happy irrespective of their performance - detrimental to high performing resources
    3. CEO has all the right intentions of looking after employee welfare - always has employees' best interest in mind

Cons

1. Incompetent senior and mid-level management - right from COO to line level managers
    2. Persistent record of absolute distrust for external hires - employees who have been with REI for long have a habit of keeping things close to themselves while making relatively newer external hires look incompetent
    3. Record of flouting all terms and conditions that were negotiated after an employee is hired
    4. Strong performers are few and far between - high performers are odd people out in the environment
    5. Strong resistance to evolution of the culture to remain relevant in the industry
    6. Lack of accountability on part of senior and mid-level management
    7. Very theoritical/bookish management styles adopted by leaders/managers - focus is not on tangible results
    8. Leadership lacks capability to drive and manage large portfolio
    9. Close knit fraternity of old timers look down upon newer external hires and their experience - sign of disrespect and arrogance - not a healthy environment for new hires

Advice to Management

1. Accountability should start from top -- from COO level
    2. Risk losing high performance if non-performers are not held accountable
    3. Management shake up with a mix of experienced external hires with proven credentials has the potential of opening new avenues of growth for REI - complete reliance on long-term tenured staff resulting in stagnation
    4. CEO and CIO need to dig deeper into the underlying issues - not sure if they are being fed the right information about the root cause of either loss of business or lack of new business growth
    5. Invest in skills and capabilities which are relevant in the current industry - past laurels are not relevant any longer - technology company is as good as their capabilities that are relevant today
    6. Resources being promoted to managers and leaders just due to their satisfactory spoken english skills has to stop - it drives away capable resources
    7. Please do not hire people from outside if you don't have respect for their experience and skills - no one has the right to ruin someone's career

"Stay Away"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

location is good for my commute and the health benefits are nice

Cons

The management is not knowledgeable in the areas of the employees that they supervise. They under utilize then complain you are not productive. Not allowed to take initiative to find work to fill your time either because they see this as going over your manager's head and involving yourself in things you have no business being involved in. Task directions are vague and use a lot of fluff. When you try to cut through the BS to figure out what you are really being asked to do they act like you are incompetent. They say they are diverse but they are not. You better be from India to be successful and given a chance here. I have been a senior leadership position in my past positions but was criticized for making recommendations here after two months because I am too new. Anything that you point out that they could do better just makes them defensive and you get criticized for not appreciating the REI Way and organization and culture (which they think is so unique and wonderful). Do not dare bring past experiences or lessons learned or best practices here. They don't want to hear it because they think they are unique. They rather rebuild the wheel. The President is wonderful but about to retire. Unfortunately, his VP do not display his values and walk all over him. I tried escalating an issue with my supervisor and failed horribly. I talked directly to my manager and then tried going to the next level manager. He didn't even listen to me and then told my manager I complained so I got screamed at the next day. So I went to HR. They supposedly did an "official investigation" but despite all the written documentation I provided through emails and lync conversations, nothing came from it. They left it to the higher manager to determine what to do and he decided to change nothing. They would not allow me to work with anyone instead of or in addition to who I already work with therefore giving me no chance to get feedback from anyone else. The manager and HR met with me and only provided a written list of personal character attacks on me. When I begged to please read my documentation the only response I received was a criticism of my meeting note format (which by the way was the company template). I was told that taking meeting notes makes it appear as if I am trying to prepare a case against them....maybe I should. So be productive but don't ask for work, repeat tasking to ensure you are on the same page with your manager but don't take notes. And do not dare report anything to anyone about one of the loyal employees in the click. Everyone I know working on this contract has left the office at least twice in tears. I attempted to just clarify a company policy that was told to us by HR during orientation which my supervisor stated differently when I attempted to use the policy and was criticized for not respecting my supervisor and trusting their instruction. However, turns out my supervisor was wrong and my clarification allowed me to be able to take leave I otherwise would not have been able to. But I have been directed that going forward I am expected to blindly follow my supervisors instruction ... no thinking for yourself or discussion allowed here. This click runs the show and no one dares to question them or go against them ... not any employee, not HR, not even the President.

I was told that I did not quality for a position and therefore accepted a lower salary for supposedly a lower position. However, when I got here I was given the position that I did not quality for and more to do. When I questioned this being a lower position, I was told that it was never intended to be a lower position. I am supposedly in this position temporarily because of an audit in my permanent department but when the audit was over and there was an opening I requested to move into the position and was told how dare you ask to be moved into another position when you haven't even succeeded in the one you have.

Company profit is on a steady decline for the last two years and they are finding it difficult to win new work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your VP because being a good manager and financially beneficial for the company does not make you a good leader. The entire team is unhappy, frustrated, and ready to leave. Morale will increase, employees will stay, and costs will decrease.

"A Relatives Company - No scope to grow"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel Friday
    Technical Folks who are great.

Cons

Most of the positions are for relatives who know each other. After office activity is a must to be in the good books of the manager. You need not be talented to be promoted to a manger level. Just be a relative and you are automatically promoted. Most of them are highly undesirable. They make you sweat for all wrong reasons. There is no proper communication and clarity in any role. Everyday you need to compete with others (with mangers) to prove you are worth of something. There is most of the times a hostile environment that drives everyone nuts.

There is no appreciation of work. No chance to grow and there is absolutely no way to suggest something that everyone agrees. Multiple line of managers who are fit for nothing. Save yourself from working here.

Advice to Management

There is no point to write anything about management. They listen to only relatives.

"REI systems"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Low morale

Cons

No Promotion
    Promotes only friends and family