REI Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

REI Systems Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Nice workplace environment, flexible hours (does not mean less work) (in 13 reviews)

• Best workplace environment, flexible work hours (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours and sometimes growth is limited (in 7 reviews)

• They all talk about a great work/life balance, but that's a lie (in 4 reviews)

"Look at positive reviews critically"

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are good at marketing themselves to new employees, likely because they lose so many people and are well practiced. They tout the "Best Place to Work" award but take a look at the actual article and you'll see it's only for the Washington D.C. metro area, excludes government jobs, which is by far the largest industry in D.C., and that they got beat by George Washington's Mount Vernon as a best place to work!

Cons

-People who have been around a while are either there to keep their visa, which management knows, or they are friends or family of management. New people are treated like pariahs and given little or no instructions, and then treated like they are incompetent.

-The "Best Place to Work" thing should be taken with a grain of salt. They hide that the list only covers the D.C. metro area, only showing the more broad "Best Place to Work" badge. If you look at any other Top Workplace lists in D.C., nearly all of them are government positions. The Washington Post only counted non-government companies, which shrinks the survey size significantly in that area. REI also got beat by Capitol One (look at their Glassdoor ratings..) the corporate entity that owns Sweetwater Tavern and other chain restaurants, and George Washington's Mount Vernon! If the survey shows that more people would rather work at a tourist trap, answering the same inane questions and dealing with bored schoolkids on a field trip, that's telling... Also on the list is Deltek, which made BizJournal's list of WORST companies to work for.

-HR is a joke. You'll get no response for looong stretches of time while you're interviewing and if you have issues with management, nothing will get done and you open yourself up for retaliation. Managers are horrible, manipulative and abusive. If you talk to a higher manager about issues you've had with your direct manager, you just end up with two managers who have it out for you.

-No room for growth

-Old outdated platforms and technologies

-I have no way of definitively proving it, but positive reviews on Glassdoor sound like HR seeding high ratings. They all talk about a great work/life balance, but that's a lie. All neutral and negative reviews all highlight a horrible work/life balance and I constantly got calls and emails well past midnight. 40 hours is the bare minimum they expect you to work. They also seem to know that Glassdoor sorts by "popularity" by default, so they only comment on positive reviews or negative ones where nothing of substance is said.

Advice to Management

You are the problem.

2. "Wonderful place to work in the DC area!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

Pros

Great benefits, really smart colleagues, flexible working hours, work that makes a difference in the real world even though it's government. I really enjoy working there.

Cons

Most projects use somewhat older technology, located far from DC, Need more conference rooms for group meetings

Advice to Management

Communicate what's going on across the company more often. Have more corporate events. As the company grows, keep the start up culture.

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

It makes our day to hear from someone like you, and we thank you for your advice. As you know “making a difference” is a major feature of our company vision and we’re glad to know that you share our ... More

"Sr. Software Engineer"

I worked at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great people, good 401k plan and benefits. Nice workplace environment, flexible hours (does not mean less work)

Cons

Dated technology stack, convoluted, closed framework library which all projects have to use. This makes learning and introduction of new technologies very difficult. Growth depends on the project you work on, salary not par with other companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Be open to new technologies, ideas.

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

Thank you for your thoughtful comments on your experience working at REI Systems. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the people you worked with and the physical environment. REI is completely ... More

"REI is great!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

REI Systems is truly a great place where they take care of you (the benefits are amazing! they have street fighter in the lounge! and all the tea you can drink!!! I highly recommend working here if you want to be a software engineer!

Cons

Timesheets are sometimes tedious five words

Advice to Management

Keep growing please! Also, the company website reisystems.com should have the URL shorted so that the /Pages/default.aspx is removed

"Great company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with great benefits, growth opportunities, and a responsive management.

Cons

In a business park - not a lot of retail/restaurants around.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at REI Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great happy hours, great team, great projects.

Cons

Spent a lot of light night at the office. Would seriously be there till 5am in the morning. The hours would make some people irritable.

Advice to Management

I learned so much there and was so grateful for my time there. Management is what kept the whole place running. They were calm smart and good listeners. Just keep doing what you guys are doing. My only suggestion is go a head and splurge and hire the really talented guys. I think you will thank your selves in the long run.

8. "Principal Software Engineer"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking to work with good people. Lot of fun activities throughout the year.

Cons

Rely heavily on client's work income which causes the company to struggle to innovate.

"Mixed feelings- lots of good and some bad"

Pros

Great people, flex hours and good benefits. Work is busy and keeps us on our toes.so people who like to be productive will love it -not a place for slackers!

Cons

1. Salaries were lower, exec management worked with HR to benchmark salaries against industry standards. However implementation was not consistent across Business units. The group where i worked salaries were not changed to match the benchmarks for most employees if not all.
    2. Even though the company is small, each Business unit operates in their own worlds. Some units are very organized, process oriented and others are chaotic at best.

Advice to Management

Ensure consistency in work processes and compensation across the company
    Take more risk

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful comments and suggestions. We are constantly measuring our compensation plan against those of our competitors. You might be happy to hear that we have ... More

"Proud to Work at REI Systems!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Pros

I've been an employee at REI for 8 years and I'm very proud to say this. No company is perfect but REI really goes the distance to make employees happy. Winning one of the Top Workplaces award really exemplifies this. It was the employees who provided the nominations so that tells you that the majority of the staff enjoy working here. My assumption is that many of the negative remarks posted here are by employees who were asked to leave REI because they were poor performers and also it looks like a small number of these employees are putting up multiple posts to drive REI's rating down.

Cons

Some managers could benefit from soft skills training so they can better relate to their employees. The 360 review process and the hiring of a professional/personal coach is helping to address this need.

Advice to Management

Continue to make investments in our employees. We have come a long way in the last 2 years and it really shows. Please keep this positive momentum going!

"Software Developer II"

I worked at REI Systems full-time

Pros

REI will pay you a high salary, and the employees who work there are mostly enthusiastic people with smiles on their faces.

Cons

The cost of living for the area is fairly high compared to other cities. Many of their workers are H1B workers which means that they are able to push their employees harder and use the revocation of their H1B as leverage.

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong culture.

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our salaries, our people, and our corporate culture. However, we’re concerned about your reasons for not recommending us to your friends and associates ... More