REI Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

REI Systems Reviews

Updated July 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice workplace environment, flexible hours (does not mean less work) (in 14 reviews)

• Professional development hours are very helpful in expanding your skillset as REI encourages continuous improvement for every employee (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 5 reviews)

• Why would anyone want to work with such people (in 3 reviews)

"REI is great!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

REI Systems is truly a great place where they take care of you (the benefits are amazing! they have street fighter in the lounge! and all the tea you can drink!!! I highly recommend working here if you want to be a software engineer!

Cons

Timesheets are sometimes tedious five words

Advice to Management

Keep growing please! Also, the company website reisystems.com should have the URL shorted so that the /Pages/default.aspx is removed

"Great company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with great benefits, growth opportunities, and a responsive management.

Cons

In a business park - not a lot of retail/restaurants around.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at REI Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great happy hours, great team, great projects.

Cons

Spent a lot of light night at the office. Would seriously be there till 5am in the morning. The hours would make some people irritable.

Advice to Management

I learned so much there and was so grateful for my time there. Management is what kept the whole place running. They were calm smart and good listeners. Just keep doing what you guys are doing. My only suggestion is go a head and splurge and hire the really talented guys. I think you will thank your selves in the long run.

"Mixed feelings- lots of good and some bad"

Pros

Great people, flex hours and good benefits. Work is busy and keeps us on our toes.so people who like to be productive will love it -not a place for slackers!

Cons

1. Salaries were lower, exec management worked with HR to benchmark salaries against industry standards. However implementation was not consistent across Business units. The group where i worked salaries were not changed to match the benchmarks for most employees if not all.
    2. Even though the company is small, each Business unit operates in their own worlds. Some units are very organized, process oriented and others are chaotic at best.

Advice to Management

Ensure consistency in work processes and compensation across the company
    Take more risk

REI Systems Response

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful comments and suggestions. We are constantly measuring our compensation plan against those of our competitors. You might be happy to hear that we have... More

5. "Principal Software Engineer"

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking to work with good people. Lot of fun activities throughout the year.

Cons

Rely heavily on client's work income which causes the company to struggle to innovate.

"Proud to Work at REI Systems!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Pros

I've been an employee at REI for 8 years and I'm very proud to say this. No company is perfect but REI really goes the distance to make employees happy. Winning one of the Top Workplaces award really exemplifies this. It was the employees who provided the nominations so that tells you that the majority of the staff enjoy working here. My assumption is that many of the negative remarks posted here are by employees who were asked to leave REI because they were poor performers and also it looks like a small number of these employees are putting up multiple posts to drive REI's rating down.

Cons

Some managers could benefit from soft skills training so they can better relate to their employees. The 360 review process and the hiring of a professional/personal coach is helping to address this need.

Advice to Management

Continue to make investments in our employees. We have come a long way in the last 2 years and it really shows. Please keep this positive momentum going!

"Software Developer II"

I worked at REI Systems full-time

Pros

REI will pay you a high salary, and the employees who work there are mostly enthusiastic people with smiles on their faces.

Cons

The cost of living for the area is fairly high compared to other cities. Many of their workers are H1B workers which means that they are able to push their employees harder and use the revocation of their H1B as leverage.

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong culture.

REI Systems Response

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our salaries, our people, and our corporate culture. However, we’re concerned about your reasons for not recommending us to your friends and associates... More

"Amazing Workplace (so happy that we finally got the recognition in top work places)"

Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working people, great benefits, awesome teams/culture
    The founder of the company has hired a fulltime people coach to give support to the employees...seriously who does that? This is how much the management cares about their employees
    Well deserved recognition for being ranked number 11!!!

Cons

Some managers are micro managers - but last year has been all about improvement in this area

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - listening to all your emlpoyees

"My positon at REI keeps Beautifully Unfolding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Pros

nice offices, open mindset of my boss, willingness to experiment and try new things, earnest co-workers

Cons

Sometimes the owners/leaders of the company are only 90% willing to walk the walk

Advice to Management

Enforce accountability in small ways. Yes, modeling it is important, yet there are times when some small unilateral rules are needed

10. "REI Systems is a great place to work"

Pros

- Very supportive of its employees
    - Plenty of growth opportunities
    - Encourages participation in Open Source community
    - Green company

Cons

- Traditionally, not the most competitive with salaries when moving up within the company, but they are making efforts to rectify that.