REI Systems Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Nice workplace environment, flexible hours (does not mean less work) (in 13 reviews)

• Best workplace environment, flexible work hours (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours and sometimes growth is limited (in 7 reviews)

• They all talk about a great work/life balance, but that's a lie (in 4 reviews)

1. "REI Systems is an American Dream company with a heart and soul, unlike some companies without souls and hearts"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

REI Systems, they treat you like family. It's hard not to love a company that treats their employees so well despite having shortcomings and imperfections, even if you are slightly insane. I took a one-way ticket vacation to find myself and heal myself from mental anguish, and I am very grateful they maintained my employment status despite my mental and physical health issues. The tea and coffee there are amazing, the co-workers and management are top tier. Wegmans is nearby with the best food in the world. Great gyms nearby too. Sigh, REI Systems makes me miss the USA despite loving China as well. It truly is one of the best places to work in the DC Metro area. I love you REI Systems!

Really great people... can't believe all those fake negative reviews would ever write such trash about this great place.

Cons

Doing the Deltek everyday can be tedious sometimes. It's not a Google or Facebook yet.

Advice to Management

[Like]

2. "Senior software enginner"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New technologies only on the project i am working on.

Cons

Too much of micro management and bad working hours

"A Sinking Ship in Denial"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI needs help to evolve, so there are potential opportunities for smart, talented, and disruptive executives or managers who have a history of making real, impactful change happen. Solid vacation and otherwise decent benefits package. Free bagels on Fridays.

Cons

REI is a static and reactive company where very little has changed overall in the past 5+ years. Being static in IT for that long is a death sentence. Unless REI makes a concerted effort to drastically change, it will not be around a decade or two from now.

There is an ugly culture that dominates this company wherein honesty is not valued and employees are not trusted and it stems from the top down. You can see evidence of this in the previous review ("The People's Company"). Notions like "If you are unhappy here, you'll be unhappy anywhere!" and "There are very few cons, but I don't even want to talk about them." are tossed around, even from C-level executives. That is dishonest at best and manipulative propaganda at worst. It's great to be positive about the future - it's horrible to be obstinately blind to your flaws and to lie to yourself and to your employees. Avoiding tough truths and halfheartedly searching for short-term solutions to the company's problems are surefire ways to stagnate and fail in the long-term.

REI was a company of ~500 employees when I joined. It was a company of ~500 employees when I left over five years later, but not for lack of trying to grow. The company has been spinning its wheels and it has been going nowhere because there is simply no solid foundation to build upon. There is no real growth opportunity to be found there, either as a whole for the business or for the individuals therein, unless REI's management is able to bring about some very disruptive changes company-wide.

While there are some isolated teams which are technologically competent and up-to-date, they hardly represent the company as a whole. There are some very talented people here and there, but they are nearly always incorrectly utilized and mistreated. You'll often see that the most competent person on a team is also the most junior (both in title and experience) member of that team and that should never happen - that marks a critical failure in resource management. The company also has many of the pieces it needs for success, but it frankly has no idea how to use them.

REI is a purely reactionary company that has proven that it simply cannot plan for the future. I strongly suggest avoiding this company and looking elsewhere for employment if you are an IT professional. Is it absolutely the worst place in the world to work? No, but given the other options available in the DC area, there is no reason to settle for a sub-par, struggling company. If you do choose to join and are good or great at what you do, you are in for a world of stress and frustration.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow - Garbage in, garbage out. You absolutely must revamp your hiring process, rethink your approach to gathering, training, and retaining a talented workforce, and trim your personnel down to those who are actually providing true value, including eliminating wasteful and redundant managerial positions, while seeking to add higher quality hires.

You cannot afford to lose the talent that hasn't left, so you must begin to recognize and value the exceptional workers that you do have currently, which includes paying them competitively and rewarding them when they persevere and succeed, especially under difficult circumstances. You must learn how to create opportunities for advancement and promotion for the employees that shine the brightest. Most importantly, you have to learn to trust your employees from the top down.

Learn to think and act proactively. Look for the risks beyond the horizon and have a plan in place for them ahead of time. Acting in a reactive manner will only carry you so far before you lose the trust of your customers. You will continue to lose business if you fail to break the cycles of over-committing and under-delivering and at the heart of that cycle is a reactive mindset.

If the complacency continues unabated, REI will face a slow death in the years to come.

"Nothing Special"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. The health insurance is good.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. There seem to be a fear of new technologies or practices. Stuck doing the same thing the same way.

Advice to Management

Expand your horizons

6. "Wonderful place to work in the DC area!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

Pros

Great benefits, really smart colleagues, flexible working hours, work that makes a difference in the real world even though it's government. I really enjoy working there.

Cons

Most projects use somewhat older technology, located far from DC, Need more conference rooms for group meetings

Advice to Management

Communicate what's going on across the company more often. Have more corporate events. As the company grows, keep the start up culture.

REI Systems Response

Oct 26, 2015 – REI's People Services Team

It makes our day to hear from someone like you, and we thank you for your advice. As you know “making a difference” is a major feature of our company vision and we’re glad to know that you share our ... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at REI Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great happy hours, great team, great projects.

Cons

Spent a lot of light night at the office. Would seriously be there till 5am in the morning. The hours would make some people irritable.

Advice to Management

I learned so much there and was so grateful for my time there. Management is what kept the whole place running. They were calm smart and good listeners. Just keep doing what you guys are doing. My only suggestion is go a head and splurge and hire the really talented guys. I think you will thank your selves in the long run.

"An IT sweatshop"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

There were a few people with really good technical talent that I had a pleasure of working with.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive managers. Very poor work life balance. Managers set a very high standard for their employees which is in a way kind of good. The problem is they don't set the same level of standard for themselves. They blame their subordinates for their own abysmal project plan and execution.

Advice to Management

Be careful whom you choose for management roles. Just having a good personal relationship with a person should not be the reason to promote him or her to management position. If you genuinely care about the long term good of your company, make a little more effort in finding the right talent instead of settling for a mediocre person that you are comfortable working with.

"You work really hard and don't get much in terms of pay"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at REI Systems as a contractor

Pros

The community was awesome. You are working long hours with people and really getting to know them. Most people are really nice, but some times there are blow ups due to the stress. The work was really interesting and challenging though.

Cons

They work you round the clock. My phone never stopped ringing. I would be at work till 2am in the morning then have a manager call me at 10am asking me why I am not at work. They have completely unrealistic expectations of their employees in terms of hours. I couldn't even imagine being a salary employee there.

Advice to Management

Bump up the pay and bump down the hours.

"Great Place to work !!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy for every one.
    Free friday bagel

Cons

Same type of work.

No work from home policy.

Need to adapt new technology.

Advice to Management

I have seen some manager, who takes thing personally and rather than be professional they taking personally.

"Unethical and disrespectful"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at REI Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good medical insurance
    Some very talented individuals
    Good relationship with existing customers

Cons

No order or process of doing things. No rules in software development. Managers don't understand or value software development best practices. They just want things done to make up their unrealistic promises with the customer. Things break and then they get mad. Not realizing that they have themselves to blame for mismanagement.

Advice to Management

Focus has been on employee retention from senior management. However, mid level managers are not helping.