RELX Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Erik Engstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does little to encourage research (in 8 reviews)

• People know the brands but expect to explain how to pronounce Reed Elsevier (reed el-severe) let alone what they do (in 5 reviews)

"Uninspired senior managment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

Great co-workers, until they left for better places to work

Cons

Management is so unknowledgeable about the business that they constantly hire outside consultants to tell them what to do. We've seen every one you can name. Bain, McKenzie, Monitor, PWC, and others. They even had an initiative one year on "Innovation." And of course, Crispin Davis hired an outside consulting firm and paid them millions of dollars to run an "innovation" program. Be innovative, or else!!! In that program, of the ideas that "won," and were therefore funded, none ever came to anything. The one I was most aware of was quietly killed after about two years, having achieved absolutely none of its objectives and having cost a ton of money. OF COURSE all this was funded by cutting programs for normal everyday business. True innovation, either by ongoing improvement, or leapfrog ideas, is smothered, because management doesn't trust people with ideas. They only trust people with MBAs from a specific handful of business schools and then only if they have had work experience with-- you guessed it, those consulting firms.

The senior management of Reed Elsevier Group doesn't know enough about the companies in the group to be able to assess the decision-making and leadership of the management teams for the divisions.

Advice to Management

Crispin Davis is being replaced. To the new guy I say: look very very carefully at what is going on, especially in the United States. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.com about all the RE companies. There is a lot of concern and complaints about outsourcing, but even putting that issue aside, you need to be aware that the management of these companies is abysmal. Oh, and by the way, all that outsourcing? Check into whether the cost savings are really there over the long term. And further, what will be the ultimate incremental cost if you try to repair the significant loss in quality (a concern which is being brushed aside, as the message gets massaged at each level as it goes up the management chain).

"Fear is how most of us live daily!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at RELX Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and some perks

Cons

Management that is so out of touch with reality and more important, it's employees. People stay for their paycheck and lack of options.
    Constant daily changes with no regard of what employees already do, and they never consult those who do the job to see if even feasible.
    Lower level employees are held accountable for all management decisions. Management is never held accountable.
    If you disagree you're fired.
    No internal advancement, they only load up staff with no opinion staffers.
    No women to upper management. Men rule at all levels.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Morale is in the toilet and after all these years I repairable. Don't know anyone, and I've been here 10+ years likes where they work, or would ever speak up because of daily fear drilled into us.
    I'd say listen to your employees....but trust factor left long ago, as was respect.
    Practice your own company values!

"Lack of leadership, no strategic plan for future development"

Pros

Decent benefits, get to work with some very knowledgeable industry colleagues.

Cons

Lack of management oversight, manager bullying, HR department has a complete lack of interest in employees, no training/education/mentoring, promotion virtually impossible unless you are close friends with upper management, no respect or concern for clients, out-of-date products and strategies, management will not commit to competing in the digital marketplace. Current leadership of Reed is more like caretakers than innovators.

Advice to Management

Senior management must pay attention to the conduct of middle/upper managers, listen to what clients are asking for and saying about us (anonymous surveys only go so far), prod all managers to support staff training and education, human resources MUST take employee concerns regarding management conduct issues seriously and address them, and take decisive steps to grow the product lines to compete in the modern academic marketplace.

"Run away if you are thinking of working here"

I have been working at RELX Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any anymore

Cons

Lots of cons.. In IT we have a reorg at least twice per year. They are always laying people off.
    Benefits used to be good now I can't even afford my own prescriptions. I spend $500 a month on health insurance and can't afford anything for myself. I have to choose whether I'll pay for mine, my wife's or my daughter. Can't afford all 3.
    Haven't had a decent raise since 2000.
    They are constantly outsourcing to India, Singapore or Philippines.
    Many people don't even get raises. When you do get one, it's 1.5% or 2%.
    They brought in a VP for 3 years who had the task of firing as many people as possible.. He fired so many people that there weren't enough engineers around to do the work. Engineers called them the Mafia because they all had Italian names and were all from New York.
    NO direction from executive management. They don't have a clue..
    Engineers support thousands of servers and get zero in the way of gratitude.

Advice to Management

You want those servers to keep running along? PAY YOUR ENGINEERS BETTER
    start listening to us.

"Use you up and dump you - was much better years ago"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at RELX Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, multi-national media company that successfully transitioned from print to digital. Lots of diversity and interesting locations, projects and really great, dedicated people.

Cons

Executive management can be stifling and are often misguided by expensive consultants. Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes. The really sharp senior executives who get recruited and hired are smart enough to leave within a few weeks leaving behind backward-thinking mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Former CEO Sir Crispin Davis was dedicated but best known for his 10 years of continual cost cutting. His successor Erik Engstrom has continued that legacy with a spend-to-save mentality that drove the share price up but at great cost to the workforce - resulting in layoffs and eroded customer retention. Recommend focusing on employee value and contribution vs. rank and titles. The firm values and invests in leadership but not the required expertise to a large degree.

"Project Coordinator"

Pros

If you're looking for a stable job, this is the company for you.

Cons

Employees are visibly invisible. Tier management flies in for quarterly town halls, which is usually a presentation of revenue for the current year and projection of the following year's expectations.
    Performance development is non-existent.
    No one will train you on anything.
    There is a pure disconnect between management and employees.

Advice to Management

See Cons. Do better.

"Terrbile Management"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Decent Pay but not worth it

Cons

No room for career advancement

"Stay away. Circling the drain"

I have been working at RELX Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Got to work for a company for 20+ years and work my way up the ladders to senior IT.

Cons

This company is circling the drain. There are legacy products like LexisNexis and the Rosetta products that sit in an environment that is 10 years behind the times in IT standards. They will not invest any money on the aging infrastructure to keep it alive even though that is what keeps the lights on. The new Lexis Advance product is a nightmare. It suffers from amazingly poor design and javascript bloat. Executive management are MBA's and know nothing about running or managing IT.

Every year benefits get a little worse. I spend nearly $10,000 a year on healthcare premiums and HSA and its not enough.

Also most hiring these days is done through contractors or in the Philippines. I have not personally seen a new hire come into the datacenter in Ohio in 4 years. They have laid off most of the engineers there in favor of Infosys and Philippines offshore employees.

Pay isnt that great either. They are about 15% below industry standards. They don't give pay increases anymore. They give 1-2% if you're lucky but anything extra you might get is swallowed up by however much less they are covering healthcare insurance.

Last week they announced that they are moving development to Raleigh NC. They have been trying to kill off the datacenters in Ohio now since about 2008 so it looks like that will finally happen. They won't be offering relocation to anyone except for Senior or Executive management.
    In the meeting where the move was announced the Executives were all jovial and laughing and joking. Not exactly the best message to send to 5-600 people that are about to be without jobs.

They are most likely moving to Raleigh so that they can hire recent college graduates and continue to pay less for employees.

I say this to everyone and I mean it. Stay away from this place. Its a joke.

Advice to Management

Management wont listen but if perchance they do, they need to convince their IT people to move to Raleigh by offering better salaries and better working conditions. Just because you pay less for college grads and offshore people doesn't mean they'll know how to do the job.

"Marketing/Event Management"

Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at RELX Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers become your family, fun travel destinations. Entry level positions have room to advance quickly. Veteran employees are what is keeping the event teams together.

Cons

Culture is awful, no one is motivated, senior management recognizes the problem but does nothing to address it. Benefits are reduced/eliminated every year while more work is piled on without additional support. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Value your people. Reed is a customer service company and management provides the worst customer service to it's own employees.

"They don't know what they're doing."

Pros

Relaxed, quiet workplace. Great location.

Cons

None of the departments talk to each other. My manager never gave me any direction or clear guidance on what was needed. High turnover rate makes for a very disjointed kind of atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Try to adapt a corporate culture philosophy. More training for management in how to actually manage their employees.