RG Steel Reviews | Glassdoor

RG Steel Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Goodwin

"I worked in this mill for 22 years and it was a great facility."

Former Employee - Senior Operating Technician in Warren, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Operating Technician in Warren, OH

I worked at RG Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great employees, good safety standards.

Cons

Upper management ran it into bankruptcy.

"The only thing missing is the dancing monkey and the organ grinder."

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician Electrical in Sparrows Point, MD
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician Electrical in Sparrows Point, MD

Pros

Unlimited opportunity to work overtime with almost no supervision, in oter words, free money. Excellent benifits package, at least for hourly employees.

Cons

Corporate level management seems to have NO intention to invest in the long term future of this operation. We are already terribly short handed and if everyone with more than 30 years service were to retire next week they would have to shut the place down. As for maintenance and equipment reliability, imagine buying an old car and only adding enough oil to stop the rattling noises EVERY time the noises started, no more, no less.

Advice to Management

Invest in the plant infrastructure as it is falling apart. Start treating employees like people, not garbage. Most of us actually love and care for this place but you refuse to give us the resourses to do our jobs. This includes providing materials AND manpower and I do not mean more contractors who, by the way, do not care about our plant. Wanna build a world class Integrated Mill? Put up or shut up, otherwise shut it down and get out. Afterall, these are PEOPLE'S lives you are playing with.

"Run away. Run far, run fast."

Current Employee - Salaried Supervisor in Sparrows Point, MD
    Current Employee - Salaried Supervisor in Sparrows Point, MD

Pros

Free uniforms, paid overtime, and the work is always exciting because you never know what idiotic thing senior management will come up with that you'll have to work around to keep the place running.

Cons

Inept senior management. Middle management is so shell-shocked that the only word they know is yes. The current ship of fools are AK steel castoffs, so the goal is to make Sparrows Point into AK East. AK Steel is a notoriously screwed up company that rarely makes profit, so I'm not real sure why we want to emulate them instead of Nucor or US Steel.

The current senior management du jour are master harvesters of low hanging fruit. There are two obstacles to Sparrows Point's survival, the cost of ore and the cost of energy. Thus, senior management focuses on safety and manpower--which is a lot like rearranging the dinner menu on the Hindenburg. If they continue, they will succeed in accomplishing Infinite Safety, where it's impossible to have an injury because nobody works there anymore.

Advice to Management

Guess what? We're not AK and we're not in Ohio, KY, IN, or any other 20% unemployed state. You've cut headcount, salary and benefits for your supervisors, but you're not the big fish in the small pond here. Thus, many of your talented managers have left, while the rest of us are gearing up to. Those that remain are precisely the ones that should have been sacked years ago.

Personally, the new Salary Dis-Incentive debacle cut my pay by 15-20%. The insurance is much worse than what we had before and we lost tuition reimbursement. The constant threats of termination don't mean much to good employees. Fire us tomorrow, we'll have new jobs Monday, likely with better compensation. There is a reason that recruiters cold call us at our desks these days.

4. "Supply Chain"

Pros

Great Place to work and grow

Cons

Ownership had a huge task in trying to keep company afloat

5. "Steel worker"

Pros

we were payed very well

Cons

The mill closed due to poor management