RGB Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Jef Graham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good company - difficult business environment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of dedicated and passionate engineers.

Cons

Too many ups and downs. The market environment and the nature of the business make the sale cycles so long that it was hard to sustain growth.

Advice to Management

Sell what we built instead of what we think we could build. Try pushing back on the customers once in awhile. Other competitors say no sometime, why can't we?

2. "Principal Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work and Great people to work with. Good process. Just great team.

Cons

It's unfortunate but this space is really competitive and there is a lot consolidation that led to a bad acquisition

Advice to Management

Someone could write a book about this but in the end what is done is done. As a privately help company you don't get many chances. The management did ok job with information at the time but it wasn't enough to differentiate.

3. "Weak management, no direction in project development"

I worked at RGB Networks full-time

Pros

Great, fun team
    Projects are challenging and form good base for building experience

Cons

The management has no concrete process of development and direction for any projects

4. "A missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Product Line Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Line Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Excellent leadership, strong engineering, operations and support organizations and high potential market

Cons

Management, marketing and engineering execution

5. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Great team with excellent knowledge. And exciting work with challenges everyday.

Cons

Not so great Bonus, there were no stock options

Advice to Management

None

6. "SW Engineer"

Pros

Friendly people and good technology.

Cons

Got Acquired. No longer exists.

7. "General Accountant"

Current Employee - General Accountant/Payroll Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - General Accountant/Payroll Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started with the Founders and this company has been a wonderful place to work for the last 12 yrs....Many employees have worked here for 10+ yrs.... - Employees always awarded for their hard work - compensation is very good and benefits good too. I will miss working here very much.

Cons

They have been Acquired by a company in Texas - so things are much different now.

8. "Good while it lasted"

I worked at RGB Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, nice co-workers, start up company feel

Cons

Lay offs on a regular basis, company going in different directions spreading itself thin

Advice to Management

Good luck after the merger, consider it a second chance to turn things around

9. "Its been a fun, tough, challenging, hilarious, and rewarding ride"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Probably one of the best things about RGB is the people. While there will always be troublemakers and incompetent people in surprisingly influential roles, I have found this to be far less the case at RGB than at other companies. I currently work with the best team of engineers (both in Austin and Sunnyvale), support people, and QA engineers I've ever known. My own immediate team is of a caliber I doubt I'll find again. They take pride in their work and a personal responsibility to deliver better than their best with limited resources. I've worked closely with everyone in Austin (and those remote to it) and I can honestly say there's not one person there who isn't devoted, smart, creative, and just generally enjoyable to know.

Our CS group in Sunnyvale consistently gets the highest rated customer satisfaction ratings in the industry--that doesn't happen if the workplace sucks. That happens when you have good people being empowered to do good things by good managers. The executive VP team works their butts off. There is little doubt that they are just as devoted as the employees, in addition to the extra motivation of taking care of the people who work for them. The office admin staff are tireless contributors toward making the workplace fun, enjoyable, convenient, and rewarding. And I see good things on the horizon for the direction our Sunnyvale engineering team is headed, all of whom I personally know to be devoted to their work.

Cons

RGB is certainly not all wine and roses. We suffer from a lack of resources and a lack of consistent and quickly responsive leadership. We get stuck on an idea sometimes that isn't good business and we don't respond to it as quickly as this industry requires. The frustrating thing for me has always been how great all the people here are, how fantastic the teams work, but also how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at some very critical times. It is true we have gone through several layoffs. None of them have been willy nilly, and the last one in particular was very difficult. Some incredibly talented people got let go who wouldn't have had to go had the company responded earlier to some important business direction signs.

Unfortunately, when resources are limited, those who remain have to work even harder, and the harder you focus on one thing, the less you are able to focus on others (thus, the left/right hand thing). I think this is some of the frustration expressed in some of the more negative reviews here. You will find this at any company, though. The mark of a good one is how well they can respond to the change that's required. While the CEO and EVP team are ultimately responsible for leading good changes, employees are just as necessary to driving them. Marketing could use more resources and a brighter spark, as could IT.

(As an aside, in response to a previous review: "Athiestism" is not preached here since you can't preach something that isn't a word. Even as I type it, the red spell check tells me it's not a word. Finally, I've personally never been verbally harassed, nor seen it done to others, by anyone in Austin.)

Advice to Management

There needs to be more internal excitement and messaging about where we are headed, more internal (and external) advertising. More product training knowledge for employees, better understanding of competition. Salaries are OK, but bonuses should be better (i.e., they should exist). Austin does need another engineering manager so the VP can focus on VP stuff. Marketing needs more resources.

10. "Best things come in small packages"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at RGB Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent product, fantastic team, experienced and forthright management team. What else could one ask for?

Cons

I wish I was taller...

Advice to Management

Be more audacious, think like a startup, not enterprise, take a chance to change the playbook.