RGM Advisors, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Gorelick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, smart people

Cons

Not enough turnover to get rid of people who don't perform

2. "Starts out strong, ends poorly"

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with hardworking, intelligent people. RGM also prides itself on transparency and they hold up to that promise.

Cons

Culture is volatile depending on management and team. Here's to hoping you end up on an ideal team

Advice to Management

Be sure expectations, flexibility, and collaboration is fluid amongst different teams.

"A Great Place to Work, but Sour at the End"

Former Employee - Trading Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trading Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Physical space was outstanding, company culture of "getting 'er done" was outstanding, the subject matter was interesting, and everyone was very technical.

Cons

Layoffs came in 2014, and formerly-trusted employees, rather than getting a chance to say goodbyes to colleagues, were escorted out.

I've worked for a lot of startups that fizzled, and have been RIF'd more than once. This is the ONLY time in my life that I experienced people getting frog-marched out as a matter of policy.

Advice to Management

Take whatever book you read that says "this is how you lay people off" and throw it in the trash. Whatever good will you earn by treating people well when they work for you, you immediately burn when you treat them like trash and escort them out.

Layoffs are difficult. Treat your soon-to-be-ex employees with dignity. It's the least you can do.

"Great Company to Work For!"

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are intelligent, motivated, and a blast to work with. The work is interesting which makes it easy to stay engaged. The 360 views of downtown, beer fridge, free breakfast tacos, ping pong table, and sand volleyball team also make it a very easy company to love.

Cons

The free breakfast tacos and snacks add up. The weather is pretty toasty in Austin, but if you live anywhere in the south it's to be expected. That also may not be a problem for everyone.

"Great dynamic environment"

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time

Pros

RGM is a great place to work. Aside from the great benefits and cool downtown office, the people are great. Everyone that works here is highly intelligent, highly motivated to succeed, and generally fun to be around. I really enjoy the flexible environment and that the company and management allows each individual to contribute based on their own strengths, so in a sense you get to create you own job. Another big factor for me is how willing everyone is to to help each other.

Cons

Dealing with downtown traffic isn't always great, but it's fun being downtown. Occasionally it can be very demanding if you're the kind of person that takes ownership of things, but management is very supportive of balance in life and work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be flexible and allow folks to creatively contribute in their own way once core responsibilities are covered. To me this is a key component of our success.

6. "RGM takes great care of its employees and is a fun place to work at"

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, management that cares about employees, good pay

Cons

It is a small company and personal growth potential may be limited

"Ideal company for techies with interests in finance."

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The firm went the extra mile to make the office a place employees WANT to go to every workday.
    -At the same time, the firm is very supportive of flexible working arrangements (some people work primarily from home).
    -At the end of the day, it is really a technology company (that makes money using its own financial trading systems).
    -No customers and/or investors. The company is completely self-funded and funds operations through returns on its own investment activity.
    -Due to the various smart policies and unique characteristics, including those listed above, everyone at the company seems “happier” than at any other companies I have worked for.

Cons

There is not a ladder of arbitrarily made up titles to climb and turnover seems very low for a financially related company (these are actually pros to me, but may be cons to individuals acclimated to the finance industry).

Advice to Management

You have put together an awesome company by maintaining a very free and creative environment. At this point, introducing a higher level of standardization could help scalability (thinking more along the lines of operational/coding standardization than “dress code”).

"Great Experience So Far!"

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It seems like there is a great work-life balance here at RGM, which was a huge factor for myself when looking for careers. The benefits they provide really are very competitive for the Austin area and make it an overall very attractive package. I love the laid back environment and like knowing if I want or need to speak with upper management for anything, they are right down the hall (which isn't very common in companies anymore!) Overall I am very pleased with RGM thus far and look forward to growing my career with them!

Cons

No cons that I have experienced since starting

"Great company for those with families and who want to stay firmly in your comfort zone."

Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable offices, and constantly changing difficult problem to solve. Very sharp colleagues.

Cons

Horizontal management structure limits any growth. Compensation is driven by random assignment of strategy allocation, and well below industry standards. One of my colleagues referred to the system of resource allocation as a high school popularity contest.

"A fantastic place to work in a field I didn't expect to enjoy."

Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is located in Downtown Austin, with views of the surround hills and lake, a modern design aesthetic, and any equipment you can desire. Despite being a financial firm, we operate as a technology firm first and foremost.

Getting to actual work involves by and large hands-off management, which works great for the right kind of personnel. High expectations are placed on everyone, from estimating effort through to project completion.

Projects are varied and interesting, since we deal with huge amounts of data, tons of computing power, and what sound like far-fetched ideas. When it all comes together, the things that our technology is capable of can be downright staggering, from the research to the trading through to the back office systems.

The level of talent is unmatched in my experience, which is a keeps me both motivated and on my toes. The conversations, whether work related or just geeking out over whatever it is we're into, are always fun..

We are treated well in all regards - from the simple things like food and drink to management understanding that working more hours doesn't make us more productive or valuable, it all adds up to a great work life, but more importantly, one that treads lightly on the life outside of work.

Also, meetings are used as a tool, not as the solution to every problem. Between this and the quality of life, that's what I have enjoyed the most as improvements over previous work environments.

Cons

To keep from sounding too positive to be believed, there are a few.

The work environment can be challenging if you are not self-motivated and disciplined, and those are things that cannot be gleaned from a resume or judged in an interview, so candidates should be very honest with themselves and RGM regarding those aspects of their personality, or expect to really focus on that as part of your personal development.

Getting new candidates has been challenging, which is unfortunate. We do have a very rigorous process, but I wouldn't make it easier just to get more bodies in the building.

Working from home isn't necessarily the best idea, as you can miss out on valuable context through conversations that really help build the picture and inform your decision making.

Company performance is very highly correlated with factors outside of our control, which can be very frustrating to see in contrast with the continued improvement of our technology and personnel.

Advice to Management

The steady handed approach is something I'm very pleased to see, through ups and downs, and I believe that needs to stay a core piece of the enterprise to keep us in the hunt as one of the best places to work, and keep our performance at a high level. Things must change over time, but management builds trust at ever major decision point which makes the change more acceptable - just don't abuse that trust.