RGP Employee Reviews about "bench time"

Updated Dec 30, 2020

4.2
RGP  CEO Kate Duchene
Kate Duchene
Pros
  • "Work life balance--get your job done; weekend work is not desired or expected(in 66 reviews)

• "Very good benefits and home office support(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Bench time is too long between engagements(in 37 reviews)

• "No pay when you are not involved in projects(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of RGP and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "bench time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Working at RGP

Dec 30, 2020 - Consultant in Pittsburg, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great consultants and office staff

Cons

Bench time Can be long

SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to RGP.

2. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 5 years

You have to take the bad with the good

Dec 12, 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Time off between assignments allows for work/life balance; if you are winding down your career, and can be flexible about low(er) or erratic comp, this could be a perfect option - Good clients; great bonds with other consultants and client employees - Consultants have a say in where they will travel and how many hours they are willing to work (OT or none). Part time is possible, but not likely. - Don't need to take the politics home with you; work hard, go home, don't think about it until morning - Satisfying feeling being able to make a positive difference/help clients - Client service managers stay in touch, bring lunch, and are generally a nice and supportive group of people

Cons

- Long (count on 6-8 weeks or more) unpaid down time between assignments; if you need a steady revenue stream, this isn't for you - leadership/senior mgmt. is poor; constant changes in direction and focus, they can't seem to settle on an identity or a business model. The latest "human" thing, regardless of what you think of it, was played out, several other companies came to market sooner i.e. bank human Forget the gimmicks. Attract and pay talented, high integrity people across the firm, hold everyone to results. - seems like a huge, multi layered and ever changing back office team(s) - expense base too large for revenues - massive margins asked of clients (required by last point) generate ill will with consultants who are delivering the revenues and making less than half of bill rates. Clients pass on assignments due to high bill rates, leads to missed opportunities and bench time for Consultants.

SVP, HR

While we understand our model may not be for everyone, our dedicated team works hard to support our Consultants and align them with projects best suited to their skills, passions and lifestyle. As an organization, we are constantly evolving so that we can best serve the needs of our team members and clients. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We wish you a very happy holiday season.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Not great.

Jan 27, 2020 -  in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can chose your engagement and work less or more depending on the length. There is a lot of pressure to take certain projects, usually the longer more profitable ones. You can take time off between projects “bench time “ There are benefits if you qualify and meet 500 hours.

Cons

The jobs are temp jobs. It’s not consulting. The place is an agency , barely a company. No communication from operations. No support. Hard to get a reply to emails or phone calls. No support at client, even if there are issues. Sometimes pressure to take jobs not in your area. They heavily invest in brand messaging and promises but that’s all it is. Ops don’t act like they care about consultants, even can be rude. Even though consultants drive revenue and their salaries are paid off our backs. Bench time is unpredictable. Benefits are not easy to keep because of the change in hours and bench time. Pay is ok.

SVP, HR

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We are sorry to learn that you have not felt the support from your team that we endeavor to create. Should you have additional feedback to share, we invite you to reach out to ER@rgp.com to have further discussion.

4. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 5 years

One of the better financial contracting firms

Jun 1, 2020 - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexibility to choose projects in a desired location area -Due to the short term nature you are presented for roles you would not otherwise be considered for in a full time position, expanding your skill set -Get fairly compensated for working overtime -Great benefits compared to similar contracting firms -Professionalism of staff and support tools

Cons

-Lower hourly rate offset by a more comprehensive benefit package -Unpaid bench time between jobs -Charges clients higher rates than similar firms, which may limit the number of companies willing to use them

SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. Our Consultants have exposure to a diverse list of top companies, which ensures you remain at the leading edge of your chosen field and continue to expand your skillset. Our team members work hard to understand the skills of our Consultants and match them with the needs of our clients.

5. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 5 years

Best for experienced professionals looking for flexibility

Dec 30, 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Key advantage is flexibility. Vacation benefits are average, but it's a good option if you want the ability to take time off without pay as most clients are willing to allow additional time-off on a long-term assignment.

Cons

Long bench time Variability in number of opportunities based on location Successful consultants take short-term assignments and convert into long term engagements, but don't expect any salary increases or bonuses for revenue generated beyond initial engagement period, only small bonuses for referrals.

SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your dedication to RGP and will share your advice with our leadership team.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company, but Lots of Bench Time

Feb 25, 2020 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are very supportive across all departments. In 8 years I've never had any lack of support and encouragement from the receptionists all the way to the CEO. Absolutely great teamwork!!!

Cons

Excessive bench time. Depending on the practice, it can be 6-12 months!

SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to RGP. We are happy to hear that you have felt the support of your team every step of the way. We understand your concern about bench time. RGP's talent leaders work diligently to accommodate our Consultants' desires for work/life balance and flexibility while simultaneously identifying engagement opportunities that align with each Consultant's skills and that are available at the right time. This becomes a delicate balance and one in which we are laser-focused on continuously improving.

7. 4.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

RGP could do better

Jul 15, 2019 - Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great on boarding and looking out for consultants. HR solid work

Cons

Could communicate Better and Very long bench time and No Idea what is happening behind the scenes therefore felt the need to use other consultant org

SVP, HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Communication and teamwork are very important elements of success. We will share your feedback with our team so that we may examine how to improve communications with our consultants.

8. 4.0
      Current Contractor

Finance consultant

Nov 2, 2018 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people. As a contractor, have access to benefits including 401k match and discounted stock purchase plan.

Cons

Bench time is too long between engagements. So far 3 months. Last time almost 5 months.

SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We encourage you to contact your talent manager to ensure that they have an updated account of your skill set and can discuss any available opportunities.

9. 3.0
      Current Contractor, more than 8 years

Good but lots of caveats

Jan 21, 2016 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wages are decent; company provides overtime, 401K, vacation and other benefits; consultants are very well qualified and experienced and generally pleasant to work with. Recruiting managers work hard to get you on a project. You are free to pick and choose which projects you'll take.

Cons

RGP calls itself a consulting company when in fact, it is really a high class, expensive staffing firm. Real consulting projects are few and far between; most consist of low level accounting work (month-end close, account reconciliations, etc.) Billing rates are 2.5 times the hourly rate paid to consultants. You can go years without a raise. Recruiting managers will discuss possible projects with you but if, for whatever reason, they don't materialize, the recruiters hardly ever loop back around to let you know what happened. Bench time can be very long especially if you're selective about the kinds of projects you will take. Because of unpaid bench time, this business model is not really very well suited to those who need a steady pay check.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Other alternatives

Feb 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great consultants who go above and beyond

Cons

Too much bench time. Recent pronouncement about bench time "Hard to compute" Pure BS!! No communication Short-sighted CSD's who play it safe 33% of assignments are beginner type; 33% are intermediate and 33 % are expert-much like rating of ski slopes. God help you if you are assigned to the beginner type assignment. Horrible.

8 people found this review helpful

Account Director

Thank you for your candid post. RGP strives to be transparent and welcomes all feedback from our Consultants. We would be happy to discuss this further with you and can arrange a direct conversation with one of our Employee Relations Directors so we can get a full understanding of your experience. Please feel contact us directly at er@rgp.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews