RISI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2018

Found 37 reviews

3.8
Dan Klein
  1. "Growing Price Reporting & Analytics firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RISI is a growing firm, and continues to grow at a [relatively] fast pace. With RISI being acquired by Euromoney in the spring of 2017, its brought stability, investment, and great ideas in terms of future growth strategy in the Forest Products pricing and forecasting areas. The new CEO, Dan Klein, is very engaging and connected with staff. As a consumer I had never heard of RISI, and I imagine most people have...

Cons

Bedford office building is not the most attractive building on the outside. Inside is quite nice though. Could be more culturally diverse.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and some more career path development would be big.

RISI2018-01-11

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in New Bedford, MA

I worked at RISI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great work life balance, 9 to 5 type of workplace - flexible schedule, just make sure you get your job done - Good benefits

Cons

- Career growth is literally non existing, the only way to advance is to wait for the head of your department to retire - Limited room for development as a professional- heavily depends on the department you are in. - High employee turnover - Terrible office space in Bedford (headquarters) for a company that outperforms for like 3 years in a row

Advice to Management

Treat "working ants" as the key to your company's success rather than easily replaceable people. That's not how you attract and retain talented employees.

RISI2017-06-14

"Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at RISI full-time

Pros

Great people, great company culture, competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to implement necessary change.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive to change ideas from your staff.

RISI2017-03-28
  4. "Work life balance"

I have been working at RISI full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment and good health benefits

Cons

office can be difficult to commute to

RISI2017-04-12

"Great company culture, fine place for entry level sales to learn the ropes"

I worked at RISI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The CEO is a man with a plan. He has turned up the growth curve in a previous flat business by evolving the products and services and upgrading the exec team. There is a sense of shared purpose that was missing when I joined in 2013.

Cons

Specifically for sales, there is limited room for growth. The "top job" is occupied by a great leader. Inside/outside account managers report to him and there is no obvious next role for anyone on this team. There is a young, energetic inside sales team that feeds the account manager position when openings arise.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Find a way to make room for top performers to keep on moving up. Be more flexible about working from home.

RISI2017-02-10
    • "Power struggle between offices; Management doesn't value the soldier ants working at the bottom"

Former Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at RISI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is quite competitive, lots of international travel opp

Cons

Every employee, however loyal and hardworking, is replaceable to management, and two managers said that in the open! Management at Brussels and Boston offices always pull rank and try to grab onto as much power. Too much gossiping happening between offices, resulting to valuable employees leaving. China office has too much drama, which filters to other offices. Career growth non existent.

Advice to Management

Look at your managers' spending closely to save on cost instead of just laying off employees. Value your low rank people!

RISI2017-02-08

"Information Technology"

I worked at RISI full-time

Pros

Not as many as they show or you would think

Cons

Management lack in empathy. Products have no vision and strategy.

RISI2017-02-07

"A great place to excel for those who are driven to succeed"

I have been working at RISI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RISI rewards intelligence, innovation and determination. The company moves quickly and rewards those who help it succeed. I have worked at RISI long enough to watch several people, myself included, move up in position and in compensation due to their hard work. For those who are motivated by achieving goals and making an impact, RISI is a great place to work. The company is small enough that if you have good ideas...

Cons

(I don't see this as a con but others might). Complacency is not acceptable. Those looking for a simple job that requires little thought or effort should look elsewhere. The company takes care of diligent employees but operates lean and will not wait for those who lag behind.

Advice to Management

Stay aggressive!

RISI2016-06-23

"Company with great corporate culture"

I worked at RISI

Pros

Nice casual corporate culture, friendly people, knowledgeable management. Company has a stable history and a solid reputation in the industry. Good benefits and salary. Fun place to work and good work/life balance. Low employee turnover.

Cons

There really isn't anything negative that I can say about the company other than there wasn't a career path for me because the company was so small. Need to create better career paths for employees to encourage the to stay longer.

RISI2016-06-26
    • "Company is respected in its market"

I worked at RISI full-time

Pros

The company is a leader in its market and is generally respected in the industry it serves. Good work-life balance Good level of autonomy

Cons

A bit sleepy -- good place for people with families, but less exciting for people in their 20s who would rather be downtown.

Advice to Management

Stay close to customers -- don't make decisions from an ivory tower. Past management has gotten in trouble when being out of touch with customers.

RISI2016-03-16