RISI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2018

Found 37 reviews

3.8
Dan Klein

"Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of flexibility and work-life balance. Because it's a small company you have a lot of responsibility.

Cons

Little room for growth.

RISI2016-02-17

"A great place to work, especially if you're starting or finishing a career"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, relaxed corporate culture, and flexibility to grow independently. Non-monetary benefits are abundant, including vacation time. Its a small office, and fellow employees are welcoming and helpful to new hires. Long term employees are valued.

Cons

Limited opportunities to grow in the short term within such a specialized and relatively small field. Salaries could be more competitive considering the office's close proximity to Boston. Dated technology. Salary structure is unclear.

Advice to Management

Make investments in technology upgrades more of a priority. Consider shifting some non-monetary benefits into salary increases.

RISI2015-12-22
  3. "Intern"

I worked at RISI

Pros

People are very friendly and nice. Good work environment.

Cons

Couldn't think of any as it is a great place to work.

RISI2015-12-06

"Really an amazing company, great brand, high level of integrity and fun!"

Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers NEED our products - we are the dominant player in the forest products market research industry. High level of Integrity - the economists are really good at forecasting and our journalists great at breaking news & price reporting, and we never compromise on questions of integrity. Sales team structure is improving and we are getting more focused on getting the value we deserve from customers. Opportunities...

Cons

Our customer data [CRM] is a bit discombobulated. We have too many customer databases and as a result it can be hard for our sales reps to sell to the right companies, and for our customers to get to the right sales rep in an orderly fashion. Once we fix this challenge, we can grow even faster!

Advice to Management

Keep charging forward, and continue to invest in our great products, and more sales people to sell them.

RISI2015-04-03

"Nice place to work"

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- flexible hours - very good sick leave - decent vacation - lots of challenging work

Cons

- not a lot of opportunities for advancement (small company) - salaries a little low compared to market - technology a bit dated (but they are working to improve)

RISI2015-03-30
  6. "Great place for recent graduate"

Current Employee - Associate Economist in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible working hours. Great company culture. A lot of challenging projects.

Cons

Communication between departments. Need to raise salary.

RISI2015-03-31
  7. "Great company, Love the work atmosphere (work with smart, down-to-earth and fun people)."

I have been working at RISI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great co-workers, strong team spirit and positive energy. - HR did a great job helping their employees. - Open communication from Higher level management. - Excellent Work-life balance. - Growing company - I have been work at RISI for more than 4 years and I have confidence in the current top management structure. They are showing a strong leadership and bring the company to successful level.

Cons

- Need to raise the salary. - Need a room for job growth.

RISI2015-03-30
  8. "Fine place to work."

I have been working at RISI

Pros

- Excellent in terms of work/life balance: flexible hours, ample vacation time, and the option to work from home. - A fun environment: multiple social events each month. - Friendly coworkers.

Cons

- Career development path is unclear. - Technology is dated.

RISI2015-03-28
  9. "Overall positive work environment with great employees, but with continuous change throughout."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at RISI full-time

Pros

Leading company in the forestry products information industry Flexible work scheduling and casual dress code Adequate benefits/time off provided Overall positive work environment

Cons

Vast amount of job turnover the past few years (within management and lower level employees) Very limited room for job growth Raises never more than cost of living increase Not enough training provided for employees Some processes still way behind the curve technologically

RISI2015-03-27
  10. "In general, a positive, rewarding experience, working with quality co-workers and for a reputable firm."

Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at RISI

Pros

I enjoy independence and flexibility in my work area; feel I'm valued and respected by the company. We do appreciate the big-picture perspective provided regularly by the last two CEOs. A great place to work, all things considered.

Cons

Sometimes, the autonomy (we appreciate) leaves us disconnected from others in the company: We seldom bring together Indices and EA staff. Too much silo-effect. And we are insufficiently connected with our department managers. Example: we may not hear if our specific products are underperforming - or outperforming. More importantly, we lack clear leadership in some areas. Wish we had a 'champion' to grow our products...

Advice to Management

Content is king - yet we are under-staffed in some areas. Let's provide staff resources (and leadership) to make this a reality.

RISI2015-03-06