RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • I feel that RJ cares about our work life balance and tries to keep the employees needs top of mind (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, generous PTO policy, opportunity for advancement as company only promotes from within (in 15 reviews)

1. "Work life balance"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Providence, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Providence, NC

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time

Pros

Much Training and so much to l;earn, great benefits and company bonus. Company car, paid leave and training. The company always welcome new ideas from employees and they provide tools for your sucess.

Cons

You will be posted far outside your home state upon employment. Lonely job as you will be working alone most times during territory coverage.

"Great employee culture, benefits. Job frustration can outweigh the benefits (depends on multiple factors)"

Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Medical, dental, vision, life (reasonable premiums)
    $150/month company car, gas, insurance, maintenance included. Unlimited personal miles. Car is usually within 3 years new
    6% match 401k
    Very generous annual bonus
    Sales experience (tons of growth ops)
    Great first sales job
    100% salary based (good and bad)
    Paid travel and meals on overnights
    Trips to Vegas every 3 years
    Best coworkers you can ask for
    Many customers are great people and fun to work with

Cons

Declining industry/constant changes
    Experience directly correlates to supervisor
    Okay work/life if single, bad if you have a family
    Highly political
    Sometimes lots of turnover, affects everyone
    Analytics overly complicated but favored
    No outside marketing in industry so you have to market everything. More and more emphasis to push product with coupons
    Not rewarded with really good salary until TM3, about 3 years after hire
    Way too many initiatives goong at once
    Too much emphasis on "sales skills" training. Unnecessary at times
    Micromanaging (let me do my damn job!!)
    Leverage over customers gained from contract enforcement

Advice to Management

Stop making things so difficult. The job can be so much simpler without all the fluff. Learn to appreciate all employees' strengths. Hold everyone to the same standards

"Great Company but lack cultural change"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has great benefits, and bonus payout. Company car, 401k match, phone stipend, internet stipend, health insurance options. Freedom in the market to make your own schedule and work from home. Susan Cameron was a great leader and the new CEO will have big shoes to fill.

Cons

If you are looking for a company you can grow with at a rapid rate this company is not for you. I've been with the company for a while and have gained trust and experience beyond any other company, and have been told by many of my superiors that I could be at the next level, but because I am not able to relocate I can not be promoted. This company is great for learning leadership and furthering your selling skills, but don't think you can move up the company ladder here. It depends a lot on your DM and the rest of the DMs in your Region. All reps are graded by a panel and then ranked based on who is seen more fit for the next level. If you want to apply for another position within the company you cannot do so because you have to work through the panel process. If you have a micro manager as a DM your life is hell, you will never be able to think for yourself.

Advice to Management

Find a way to clear the funnel of people that aren't performing at a high level and allow people to move into those positions. You ask your tenured reps that are not mobile to be mentors for the new reps coming in,but yet you won't pay them more or find a way to show value in them, and will promote TMs that have no leadership or selling abilities because they can move. I love my company however I have far more abilities that are not being used or valued. Dont cap the salary of your front line employees. The good ones can go elsewhere and make far more than the capped salary.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. 3 weeks vacation. Company car. Pretty easy job. Really good pay to start.

Cons

Main part of job is engaging customers with coupons in order to gain trial of tobacco products. Gets kind of boring since you can't market or advertise in the industry. Advancement opportunities are limited. Get paid same as others on your pay level regardless of results or if one works harder than the other.

"It's been a great career with a fantastic company."

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The company continues to focus on our transformation of tobacco strategy. This forward looking approach to the industry has placed us in a market leadership position in a number of categories such as Vapor and Snus. Previous and recent acquisitions/mergers have strengthened our brand portfolios placing RJRT in a very strong position in the growing combustible menthol category with Newport and with the growing volume in the moist snuff industry we are very well positioned with Grizzly.

Our current brand portfolio now provides us with leverage and strength at retail and positions the company for current and future profitability.

The Territory Manager position is one of constant change due to the evolution of our programs and that of our competition. From my perspective, this can breath new life into the same old job as marked shifts take place. There is a certain freedom and flexibility that comes with the Territory Manager position, but for those that aren't disciplined this can be problematic. Those individuals that are disciplined, self motivated,and well organized will enjoy this position as a first step in there career progression or you can make the Territory Manager position a fantastic life long career.

Cons

Change is a constant in the tobacco industry and this can be viewed as a negative by some, but as stated under Pros the constant evolution can breath new life to the same old job.

The experience a Territory Manager has is heavily influenced by the District Manager you may work for directly. Inconsistency in management styles at the District Manager level can positively or negatively impact your satisfaction in the Territory Manager role. Also, the strength or lack of strength of our brand portfolio in the geography you are working can frequently influence your satisfaction in the position.

Advice to Management

Consider the opportunity to promote Territory Managers with a clearly successful track record locally or within a very tight geography if opportunities arise. I believe District Managers and Region Directors should more directly recruit next generation managers by simply asking high level performers to consider contributing at the next level. As a consistent above average performer I have never been asked to contribute at the next level, but have always been told that I have the acumen and talent which is different from specifically recruiting me as a potential next level up manager.

Secondly, there continues to be inconsistencies in mid-level(District Manager) management styles. The needed autonomy is not always being given to the Territory Manager to manager their own geography within the confines of the companies guidelines and programs. Micromanagement from the District Manager level can frequently cause undue and unnecessary work at the Territory Manager level.

"Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization has evolved and is very innovative.

Cons

The workload for the TM's can be overwhelming

Advice to Management

None

"Love this job!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Augusta, GA

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time

Pros

I've been with the company for 10 plus years
    This career is exciting. The company uses a lot of resources to train their employees. Also we are constantly being taught with CBT's, library training, coaching peer to peer, coaching one up and coaching one down.
    Great benefits, and perks.
    I'm passionate at what I do, the goods we sell, therefore I like to go to work in the morning.
    You have to have a strong work ethic, because in my position, trade marketing, we work alone with the exceptions of manager work withs, etc.

Cons

If you don't have the ability to work on your own, don't bother applying, this job is not for you.
    Constant changes- it's like hopping on a train at 60mph, whoa, wait a minute hop off and jump on another. This is what I love, but others may not.

Advice to Management

More lead time for launches, more time to create a buzz on the street!
    I work for a good manager, he's respectful and fully informed, and he has answers.

9. "Great job! Love my role and my team!"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

I have been fortunate in my opportunities with RJRT. I have moved 4 times so far with RJ and have loved all the experiences we have had both with my job and with my family getting to learn about new parts of our country. I feel that RJ cares about our work life balance and tries to keep the employees needs top of mind. I feel I am fairly compensated for the time that I invest and that I am evaluated fairly. I feel that I have a voice, and am allowed to make decisions, with guidance as needed, rather than judgment.

Cons

I truly enjoy my job, my company, and look forward to future opportunities as they come.

10. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-work life balance
    -division team feels like family
    -the industry is always changing, never bored
    -company car, 401k, bonus structure, pay
    -high performing culture, rewarded for hard work
    -extensive training
    -the cliche "work hard play hard" rings true here

I've worked for a couple CPG companies and RJR is the best regarding all of these things.

Cons

-heavy work load at times
    -not a con, but you MUST be self motivated and reliant.
    -almost always have to move across the country for a promotion.

Advice to Management

For our region, keep doing what you're doing.

"Account Manager Role"

I have been working at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings full-time

Pros

Company really cares about all employees. Room to grow with company and move into manager roles.

Cons

We are constantly changing, which is not a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!