RJLG Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Richard J. Lee, Ph.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Interesting work, hands-off approach to culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time

Pros

Culture is very down-to-earth and no one is outwardly flaunting their status. A lot of the other employees had hobbies outside work, and they were able to travel and take time off, so it would seem that work-life balance here is good. I found it easy to get my schedule to accommodated for doctor appointments and other life events. I felt like a lot of things were handled in a "You're all adults" kind of way, without a lot of micromanagement. It's a good place if you're a person who thrives in a bit of disorder and ambiguity. Even though there aren't many opportunities to get promoted, it IS a good place to learn many new skills.

Cons

Apparently the pay isn't great and the benefits are expensive. There are some department managers who have been there a long time and who aren't open to (sometimes, necessary) change and/or like to "throw their weight around" . That's sort of part of the disorder & ambiguity...there are rules that apply to everyone except certain people. You have to "roll with it" to stay sane. I've seen some people get promoted, but the company is small, so promotions and raises are not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Incentivize retirement for some of the "old guard" and give motivated younger experts a pathway to move up and bring new ways to thinking to the table.

2. "ISS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gibsonia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gibsonia, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company allows you to wear many hats. Salary is fair, but the benefits are very expensive with very few options. Co workers in ISS are great and ISS management is good but their hands are tied.

Cons

Constantly hiring and laying off when work comes and goes. Company will miss Dr. Lee when he moves out of mgmt. All decisions are money based by CFO that has very little understanding of the software development process.

3. "Employment review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at RJLG (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offers stimulating environment for innovation.

Cons

Total lack of management, lack of direction and lack of focus. The result is a company with great possibilities to continually suffer financially and continue losing its best people. Only the least capable people remain, and the firm is spiraling downward. It is too bad, but if management does not see the obvious, the company deserves its fate.

Advice to Management

Get president who is passionate about the business and can bring clear direction and focus, independent of ownership that is actually impeding the company's progress.

4. "Great Place for Some Experience...Then Leave"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of great people there and it's a good place to intern or gain some experience. You are guaranteed not to get bored with all the different laboratories and equipment this place has.

Cons

Raises are almost non-existent. I went 3 and 1/2 years without one but I was told at every annual review that I was doing a great job. If you are trying to get hired there I would suggest asking for a salary at the very top of your range. It's also hard to get the company to pay for training/education of any kind. I've seen so many talented individuals leave because of these two reasons. I've also seen extreme ups and downs with their finances over the past few years.

Also, staff often were not reprimanded for doing a poor job and those doing a good job do not receive enough encouragement so the company tends to stay rather stagnant.

Advice to Management

Employ less PhDs and give more raises to the other staff so talented people will stay. Get rid of the bad apples and encourage the good ones.

5. "Great group of people, but I wouldn't want to work there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly "Family" environment with many interesting assignments and a divested domain. CEO will take any opportunity that is scientific in nature and that he can see a profit in.

Cons

Poor organizational structure and lack of leadership and ability to execute on the direction of the CEO. Capital management and finance are not disciplined and not every domain represents the company's best interests.

"Nepotism reigns supreme"

Former Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are related to the owner, or one of his cronies - then things will be great.
    There are some nice people working there.
    Interesting technologies and projects, when the right contracts are won.

Cons

Low wages, and you will be "low-balled" and taken advantage of even more if you are out of work/laid off when you apply.
    Personnel are not reviewed annually or on any regular basis at all. Some people have gone over 10 years making the same rate.
    People are working with toxic substances, sometimes without adequate training and knowledge of their rights.
    Friends and relatives are promoted to positions of authority, but may not be qualified.
    Many workers are generally disrespected; and there is little chance of growth.
    People driven to do better, improve or change things are pushed out.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Promote a safer workplace. Reorganize, and bring in some people with real management experience. Provide regular performance reviews and feedback.

"Laboratory Technician I"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gets you some experience with feeling comfortable working in the laboratory environment although you use very little actual chemistry knowledge

Cons

No advancement or pay increases due to the financial instability of a sinking company that promotes guesswork as actual scientific data

Advice to Management

Take better care of the people who are rowing the boat or your boat will sink in less than 5 years

"DEAD END JOB"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA

Pros

As a second income of if your spouse has a good job

Cons

No raises ever, supervisors with less education than the people under them, a good way to enter seems to be through maintenance

Advice to Management

Grow a pair. Learn to respect the "second class citizen" We make your check clear, you dont work for it!!!

9. "Learned a Lot!"

Former Employee - Scientist I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very academic environment and the people I worked with were good teachers, for lack of a better work. They provided and encouraged continuing education as I worked there. It also looks great on a resume.

Cons

Some times you get thrown into crazy hours because of deadlines and the compensation was low. They word their job requirements such that a high school education is the pay grade, but prefer college or graduate school. Basically if you don't have a PhD, its hard to support yourself.

"Great work environment but not great pay."

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at RJLG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedules are flexible! I love my coworkers. Very much a family atmosphere within the company. Work can be very engaging. Project based work meaning that there are a lot of different things going on at once.

Cons

Pay is not high enough for work being done. Can be working with hazardous materials. When projects aren't coming in work can be slow.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees that are trained in multiple departments and thank them for it.