RK Mechanical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick L. Kinning

Pros
  • Fast paced and trying to be progressive (in 4 reviews)

• Very good benefits for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All issues met with a "prove it" from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance" is a joke, and despite the efforts the company culture is still negative/fearful/ good old boys club/ sink or swim type of stuff (in 3 reviews)

1. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and trying to be progressive.

Cons

Nothing to share at this point.

2. "Ok place to work at."

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great payroll manager. A few good co-workers.

Cons

Upper management does not care about his payroll team.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the group.

3. "Lack of good management"

Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people and atmosphere.

Cons

Management hired and promoted based on personal relationships and not on the work product.

"Unless turnover can be addressed the vision of growth will never occur"

Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rick is very innovative and business minded. He knows how to build a business and wants to attract the best talent. Benefits were pretty good and well thought out. The company taps into various business markets and can do a lot of things.

Cons

Despite what executives try to imply, if you want to succeed here throw work/life balance out the door. Expect 50-60 hr work weeks. The culture throughout the office has a depressing presence. There will never be a clear incentive plan to justify working away from family. Jon Kinning degrades people on a consistent basis. They tend to hire from outside as opposed to promote from within. There are a lot of Chiefs and not enough Indians. Work tasks are passed down to one or two people actually doing the work. Field employees should be the highest valued people and they are rarely given the tools they need to succeed. The salaries throughout the company are lower than the industry standard.

Advice to Management

RK maintains it's persona as a meat market. There is a high turnover because the company is so focused on growth they lose sight of maintaining and ensuring they have a culture of attracting talent. Most importantly making sure their employees are valued. You will never grow unless you understand how to retain employees. This should fall on the executive level. In the end that lack of talent hurts the bottom line and the effect is passed on to the employees through salaries and incentives.

"Hard place to work, but works for some"

Pros

If you thrive in a fast paced environment and like being kept really busy, it can be engaging at first. If you're a hard worker you can work on some cool projects and jobs, which at least helps you with your experience. Also, if you end up on the right team, there are some really great people you can call your co-workers. The 401k match is decent and Health Benefits are middle of the road

Cons

It's already been said, but they take advantage of their hardest workers and it ends up being a thankless job. Burn out is all around you, and you don't see too many people smiling who work on the first floor. They hire to get warm bodies through the door so they settle on people who aren't qualified for the job which just creates more work for everyone else anyways. There's a revolving door of Management and for some reason they can't seem to get it right. They preach loyalty, and expect it out of you, but becareful because they won't care about you. "Work life balance" is a joke, and despite the efforts the company culture is still negative/fearful/ good old boys club/ sink or swim type of stuff. Not competitive pay, and people are either too lazy or management refuses to hold anyone accountable to follow process despite being a certified ISO company

Advice to Management

The most engaged and effective employees are the ones that have a work life balance. Try that? Recognition doesn't exist, it would be interesting if each division really knew who their warriors were, carrying the burden and getting sh** done for the company. Take care of them, because they've been taking care of you. We keep losing good people!

7. "Overall good company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

Good Benefits, good company culture, and the company is making a point of showing care for employees. If you work hard and do your job, the company takes care of you.

Cons

less than competitive salaries for experienced employees

Advice to Management

take care of your employees and give promotions to those that have been with the company for a while instead of hiring outside APMs at the same experience level.

8. "Good company"

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time

Pros

Decent money. Good benefits. Overtime for now if needed. Guaranteed work for awhile while colorado is growing.

Cons

You are just a number until you are a blue hat. (Foreman). The owners or anybody in the office really won't even know you exist until you're running jobs for them. Who knows when I will see a raise or any sort of advancement. Guess we will find out. Oh and you can't smoke pot and work here.

Advice to Management

Learn who your employees are. Notice the hard work some of the white hats do. ( journeyman or apprentice). It's not the blue hats installing all that material. Yet they get the bonuses.

9. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager

I have been working at RK Mechanical (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for RK for 5 years I started as an intern and worked up to APM currently. I really like RK. It is a place I plan on being with until I retire. I am fairly treated. I work with intelligent, likeable people, and I have been been given opportunities to advance and projects I wanted to work on.

Cons

This is a sink or swim type of company. I have worked a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Don't complicate processes. Continue to give pay raises.

10. "RK Life"

Pros

Fun people who are always willing to help.

Cons

Project engineer requires a lot of time commitment.

11. "Good Mechanical Contractor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate environment makes for different feel compared to other contractors, safety is top-notch, great apprenticeship program, lay-offs based on workload almost non-existent

Cons

Compensation is not as competitive as other contractors in town, lots of turnover of office employees