RK Mechanical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Rick L. Kinning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced and trying to be progressive (in 4 reviews)

• Very good benefits for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All issues met with a "prove it" from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance" is a joke, and despite the efforts the company culture is still negative/fearful/ good old boys club/ sink or swim type of stuff (in 3 reviews)

1. "RK Invests In Their Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Henderson, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Henderson, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RK invests a great deal of time and money in advancing the careers of their employees. They offer a apprenticeship programs, Project Manager courses (RKU), as well as hundreds of free online courses through SkillSoft. The Owners and Officers really care about the quality of their people and are willing to support their advancement.

Cons

At times the workloads are too heavy to participate in training.

2. "Executive"

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leading pay and benefits, best projects in region, challenging work environment

Cons

Finding enough people to fill all of the opportunities

Advice to Management

Continue hiring apprentices

"Build Another Dream"

Former Employee - Preconstruction in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Preconstruction in Denver, CO

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RK's Safety Program and Shop's

Cons

They are a meat factory and will go through employee's. The turnover is horrific and no one is happy. The executive group is diluted because they are making all the money from the people working below them. They will paint a dream by winning awards thinking it will contribute to a healthier work environment where they will continue to grow without the foundation or the right people in the right places to do so. Bottom line is the top level executive team passes the trash to everyone below them. They will bully people into staying because those are the people doing the work.

Advice to Management

Take your eyes off yourselves and learn how to value people. Replace actions with words.

"Good Company"

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time

Pros

The pay is top line and some of the employees really step into their roles, naturally. Great, quality workers, for the most part.

Cons

A lot of conjecture and gossip, fear of retaliation looms large, some managers are great at the work, but not leading people. A LOT of turnover, which is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Instead of using money as a lure to keep people, establish management that have the skills to retain good employees. Squash the rumor mills with having honest, open talks with employees - keep it real.

5. "forman"

Current Employee - Foreman in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Foreman in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they have alot of work they take care of their employees benefit package one of the best a great place to work

Cons

material reqs take to long too many supervisors

6. "Looking for the best and those that want to grow"

Current Employee - Vice President Corp in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President Corp in Denver, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is set up for those that want to be the best of the best. That want to be part of a team that is working and building the most exciting projects in the region in a family business environment. Employment is stable and the benefits are truly world class. The company has gone out of its' way to provide a learning environment where they are truly education contributors with their team and not education consumers.

The four-year, accredited apprenticeship program is finishing the 2017 year with over 240 apprentices. RK is contributing more to the trades than any other company in this region. Plus, you earn up to 42 credit hours towards your Associates Degree in Applied Sciences (AAS).

RK is also VPP Star Mobile accredited. One of less that 50 companies across the country to earn this honor.

RK recently re-accredited their ISO 9001 and earned the ISO 9001:2015 accreditation. The only major specialty contractor to earn this in the Rocky Mountain region.

Reading the negative comments from former employees is confusing. The company offers so many opportunities for those that want to invest in themselves and the company. The company works hard to provide opportunities to those team members that desire to work their way up, while working hard to provide work life balance.

We provide all types of classes for tradespeople to learn and grow their careers. We sponsor code classes multiple times per year to assist our trades with earning their journeyman licenses.

Cons

We experience turnover due to our highly trained team and the safety, quality and performance standards we instill into our teams. It is frustrating to invest so much into the teams only to have companies that virtually do nothing to grow their employees throw money and promises at our team members to entice them to leave.

One of the huge issues we struggle with is that a Project Engineer with RK can be a Senior Project Manager at a smaller type company. Those looking for a title can surely find it elsewhere, whereas at RK, titles must be earned through ever increasing responsibities and succcesses.

Advice to Management

Continue your passionate drive to be the employer and contractor of choice. Continue to take chances and provide so much opportunity for your teams and find passionate folks to fuel the amazing growth and accomplishments the company is realizing. Continue to invest heavily in the people and the facilities, tools, systems and safety programs. Being world class makes you a target for sour grapes, keep your heads high! There is so much to take pride in with the teams that build our region!

7. "Cattle in a slaughter house."

Pros

They pay well to treat everyone like dirt. You will feal very intruded upon with their HR and metrics. It is voluntary they say....

Cons

God made dirt...you should be happy to be dirt. As a trades man, we are only dirt to Calvanist's.

"Journeymen Plumber"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always plenty of work. Focused on safety.

Cons

Some rude and dishonest leadership.

"Anoint Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Henderson, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Henderson, CO

I worked at RK Mechanical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. That's it. They don't know how to build anything so you don't make any commission as a sales person.

Cons

All VP's have no idea what they are doing and zero business acumen. There is no room for advancement. Pay is terrible. Worst Ive been paid in 10 years. The owners have no idea or are in touch with reality or their employees because they were gifted the business.

Advice to Management

Actually meet your employees. Learn how to run a profitable business. Since you are not involved, your employees make you money.

10. "Field Service"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at RK Mechanical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance and pay is decent. I haven't had any major problems with people in field but seem to see new faces in office. It is pretty simple in that if you do your job and follow paperwork they desire, they tend to stay off your butt. I know we have been slow and they still find 40 hours for most guys. My managers have been good to deal with, maybe that will change over time but feel pretty good about job.

Cons

Paperwork and safety forms. Slow for moment and seem to lose communication between different branches of company (I.e. Service to mechanical, mechanical to CAD)

Advice to Management

None, my managers are decent to work for and really try to work with you. Keep that up