RL Canning Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rachel Canning

1. "Only big contracts matter"

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Account managers truly care about those working on the contract. They are the ones that show they care about your career.

Cons

Management and recuiters just want to put bodies in positions. After you start it is extremely rare that you will ever hear from management or recruiters.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about those working on smaller contracts as they work just as hard.

2. "Big difference between Springfield and Chicago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I worked at RL Canning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruiting process was simple.

Cons

Ever changing hours, schedule would be changed after you left your shift and manager would then call and ask why you weren't there. Disorganized multi-client platform with no real checklist to follow for the various clients. Minimal training before being dropped left alone to care for multiple clients at the same time. Differential treatment to certain employees and not to others. Brought in to work on their ROC platform in Springfield on a short term basis before moving to a systems admin post. I was let go 3 days after inquiring to the head office in Chicago when I would be switching to the systems admin post.

Advice to Management

Senior management from the Chicago office is just amazing. It's too bad the local management in the Springfield office doesn't treat the employees with the same consideration,

3. "A company moving in the right direction, and is like a second family.."

Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RL Canning full-time

Pros

I have been working here for quite a few years now, and I could not be happier.. The truth is, they are very good to their employees, are willing to help you through the good times and the bad and are very competitive with pay, even in short-term projects. As I read through some of these reviews, I have to shake my head at people who feel the need to write a bad review if they were let go or even finished a shorter project and did not have an opportunity to move into something else.. Some of the projects that are available are short-term, which they tell you ahead of time, and hey, not everyone will always get to move into the next project or opportunity! The truth is this company has been making the right moves over the past couple years to offer better advancement opportunities and pay increases to better take care of their employees, and have brought in GREAT leaders who are a compliment to the company and I am excited to be a part of it!

Cons

As the company grows and gets bigger, and depending on where you are working on your project, it gets harder to have contact with some of the leaders and be able to spend time with more of the management. I hope they continue to come up with ways like Yammer to keep in touch and continue to make me feel like a part of the family..

Advice to Management

Continue to be engaged with all of your employees as much as you can. I know as the company grows it gets harder to find time to connect with EVERYONE, but one of things that I admire most about this company is how close management is with their employees, and they can make you feel like you have a 2nd family. Don't ever lose that touch!

4. "Contrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It beats being at the un-employment office.

Cons

The contracts are NEVER more than 3 months, so PLEASE make sure you have something waiting for you when your contract is over!!!

Advice to Management

Get LONGER contracts for your contractors, WE HAVE BILLS TOO!!

"Great Company - Family Oriented - But a holding pattern for employment for some -"

Former Employee - Risk Remediation Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Risk Remediation Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at RL Canning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for RL canning for 2 years -
    Great opportunity to learn if your just getting your foot in the door -
    Amazing team - Was sorry to leave them behind
    Owners/Upper mgt really do seem to care about there employees

Cons

Advanced limited if not in Chicago area,
    Competitive pay
    Benefits are costly for family
    Experienced employees are not challenged enough so it becomes a holding pattern on growth

Advice to Management

Too keep top talent you have to listen to your employees - Salary is comparable but if benefits reduce the competitiveness people will need to move elsewhere not because they want too but financially they have too.

"Great owners but poor management at Springfield, IL location"

Former Employee - Entry Level in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level in Springfield, IL

I worked at RL Canning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Owners know everyone's name and are very friendly. Good benefits. Great co-workers. Recruiters did a good job of staying in touch after being hired on.

Cons

I was there 5 months. In this timeframe, 4 people quit and an additional 4 were let go, with a staff of under 50 employees. This shows poor management at a local level. The manager is a micro-manager but very hands off. She spends very little time with managers under her as well. There is no way to know the expectations because she never takes the time to explain it to you.

Advice to Management

Instead of allowing management in Springfield, IL location to let people go so quickly and quit so frequently, look at having a talk with the manager. One person cannot solely run an organization. It requires a good manager and teamwork.

7. "So Far So Good...."

Current Employee - Engineer in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at RL Canning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anytime i need anything - my team mates are there to help - only a phone call away. I think I'll be able to stick around a while (feels good) - have not had any issues.

Cons

So far so good - hoping it stays this way. I've worked for a couple of consulting companys in my past and things appear to be better here.

Advice to Management

Please don't try and grow too fast - been there done that - it does not always turn out like planned (getting bigger as a company too fast).

8. "I could not have asked for a better company to work for!"

Former Employee - Site IT Support in Geismar, LA
    Former Employee - Site IT Support in Geismar, LA

I worked at RL Canning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Any time I needed help with anything, I always had some there to help and I love working the Oil refineries and Chemical Plants.

Cons

There was not one thing I did not like about this company!

"I've worked for a lot of companies throughout the years and RL Canning ranks at the very bottom."

Former Employee - Support Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The administrative staff is usually pretty friendly and kind on the phone. This seems to be the only bright area in the entire company.

Cons

The owner and managing partner of the company seems to be more interested in rumors and false allegations instead of taking the words of her employees as actual fact. The way she attempts to interject herself into the personal lives of the employees is really inappropriate. Any opportunities for advancement based solely on job performance is non-existent. No performance reviews usually equates to no bonuses. Which also supports their record of empty promises given at the beginning of employment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and management staff more to accurately gauge what's really going on within your company instead of brown-nosing the client who may have shady intentions in order to get more business.

10. "Risk Analyst"

I have been working at RL Canning full-time

Pros

Great company morale. They will higher less experienced people and train them. Great way to get your foot in the door in whatever area they provide. They are involved with all employees. Corporate is easy to get a hold of and always quick to respond. Never had anything negative to say about how they treated me. Sees the positive in every employee and really tries to work with them to get them in the position they most fit. Easy to move around the company. They are very flexible with appointments and working from home if needed. Can't really say more in terms of how employees are treated!

Cons

Pay is pretty low when you look at the salaries for the same job. Being a contractor will do that so that is expected. Benefits are way too expensive for a family. It is almost half my actual pay for normal health insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. I've seen some amazing people leave to get paid better elsewhere. You can grow stronger if you hold on to those employees. Also, please offer affordable benefits. Most people I know, cannot afford that. Otherwise, keep operating in the same way when it comes to management communication.