KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

RLI President and CEO Craig W. Kliethermes
Craig W. Kliethermes

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of RLI and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

LOVE IT

Aug 8, 2022 - Operations Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked in such a work environment quite like this one. Walking down the hallway and everyone is so friendly and personable. The training that you endure is so helpful as everyone from your team is willing to jump right in on the situation at hand and guides you into the right direction. Benefits as well as everything else here at RLI is a 10/10 for sure. Highly recommend reaching out and trying to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Wish I could of started sooner!

Assistant Vice President

Thank you! Glad you are happy here!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Different Kind of Specialty Insurance Company - Highly Recommend!

Sep 20, 2022 - Vice President in Peoria, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

RLI is a growing, financially strong and stable company that has a great culture and employees who truly care about their customers and their work. Every employee has the opportunity to contribute to the company's success in a meaningful way and share in the financial rewards when the company does well. There is also a strong culture of philanthropy, volunteerism and giving back to the communities in which employees live and work. All around, it is a great company with great people that provides fulfilling career opportunities. Highly recommend!

Cons

It is a high-performing organization/environment and not well-suited for professionals who do not want to be held accountable for their work.

Thank you!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Truly Different & Rewarding

Aug 25, 2022 - Product Owner in Peoria, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

RLI makes insurance exciting. It is an innovative company that is acutely focused on improving customer experience and building relationships with clients. RLI not only hires smart, talented and humble people, the company also continuously invests in its employees, offering education and development opportunities. RLI offers volunteer time off and encourages philanthropic involvement. All employs are owners and are encouraged to make decisions as entrepreneurs. Company has proven record of stability and financial success. Flexible schedule is a huge plus. My favorite part is our people. New employees are empowered to make meaningful contributions and can work autonomously. Seasoned employees are willing to share knowledge and mentor. Leaders are patient, accessible and often lead from behind. Team building, collaboration and communication are all things that are highly valued. I feel supported and trusted. I am confident that my future at RLI is bright. It truly is a different and rewarding place to work.

Cons

Like anywhere else, there's always room for improvement. RLI leadership does recognize issues quickly and leverages high performers to make a difference. Occasional indecisiveness and technical debt lead to slower rate of enhancements roll out to the clients. Many initiatives are in the works to combat this. Capacity can be problematic at times, causing life/work disruption. Job market is challenging at the moment, so most employees don't mind going the extra mile.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

RLI is a great place to work!

Sep 6, 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, my experience at RLI has been fantastic. The company's leadership works hard to develop and maintain a culture of continuous improvement, learning, and ownership. As a result, the work environment is truly one of the best I've ever had the chance to work in. RLI also offers a generous benefits package and solid compensation.

Cons

While I would (and do!) recommend RLI to almost everyone, the company certainly has room for improvement. Its outdated tech stack makes completing relatively simple tasks painstakingly difficult. Moreover, the company's relatively small size means that ambitious, high-performing employees often get stuck with little to no room for advancement. Finally, the company's aversion to risk, which in part has led to its financial strength and ability to deliver shareholder value, has led to some problems. I've found that there are too many hoops to jump through and leaders tend to quash new, innovative ideas in favor of marginal improvements and "safe" investments.

Assistant Vice President

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to hear you are enjoying our ownership culture overall. We would love to chat with you more about your specific feedback. If you’d like to connect with our HR team, we’d value the opportunity to dig deeper into your ideas and recommendations.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So happy I made this move...

Aug 11, 2022 - Director of Communications in Peoria, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a culture of respect at RLI. Employees respect each other, executives respect employees and the customers are always the main focus. When you walk the halls you can tell others are genuinely happy to be a part of this company. It shows in the way they talk about it and the effort they put into their daily tasks. RLI is filled with incredibly talented people who take pride in what they do and strive to be the best they can be. The company is growing so it's an exciting time to be a part of RLI. We are launching new products, new partnerships and hiring people all around the country. The benefits are amazing! ESOP, tuition remission, wellness initiatives, flex work policy, 401K and more. The support colleagues show for each other is unlike any place I have worked before. I am so happy I made this move to RLI!

Cons

RLI offers a significant number of specialty and niche products and it takes time to learn the intricacies of them all.

Assistant Vice President

Thanks for your review! We are so happy you are part of us!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Jul 14, 2022 - Underwriter in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

RLI is a company that cares about their employees. RLI offers fair compensation, strong retirement contributions, manageable work-life balance, and a great culture that sets the organization apart from some larger carriers. The environment is very collaborative, competitive, and friendly. The organization is flat but there is plenty of opportunity to grow within your role and add value to your team if you put in the work and set your mind to it.

Cons

There are no major cons to working at RLI, though not every type of employee is a good fit for the organization. If you have a big ego, have trouble collaborating with others, or do not have a bottom-line focused approach, RLI is likely not a fit.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Love working at RLI!

Aug 26, 2022 - AVP/Treasury
    Business Outlook

Pros

RLI offers an excellent benefit package - particularly retirement benefits! They invest in their employees and consider employees their greatest asset. Executive management is engaged and forward looking, continually striving to grow and improve. RLI has provided me many opportunities over the past 25 years of employment!

Cons

Pros overwhelmingly outweigh any of the typical Cons associated with a job or employer.

8. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 6, 2022 - Senior Underwriter in Alpharetta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The last 90 days have been great! The culture is top notch and the systems & support are some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I haven't found one yet

9. 5.0

Great Company to Work for

Aug 29, 2022 - Senior Premium Auditor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work remote- I still get support and feel the company's culture. They encourage growth- personal and professional and give you tools to grow professionally. They believe in work/life balance. Great benefits!

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons.

10. 5.0

Great Company

Aug 29, 2022 - Sr Business Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive work environment Collaborative team Fantastic Management Ability to Work Remotely

Cons

The beginning felt a little like baptism by fire and brimstone, but there was plenty of support to help through the rough patches. So, no real cons. Just wish the office was a little closer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 259 Reviews
</>Embed

RLI Reviews FAQs

RLI has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, based on over 306 reviews left anonymously by employees. 99% of employees would recommend working at RLI to a friend and 99% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, RLI employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at RLI. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

99% of RLI employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated RLI 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at RLI to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be workplace, management.

Popular Careers with RLI Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at RLI? Share Your Experiences

RLI Careers

Cover image for RLI

RLI is a different kind of insurance company. We provide specialty commercial and personal line insurance and bond products to businesses...More

• Our History
  • Our Culture
  • Benefits
  • Internship

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

7 days ago

Culture
​RLI team members from across the organization recently gathered in Dallas, Texas for the RLI Regional Summit, which provided the opportunity to our discuss business, share product expertise and learn from one another. "The Regional Summit is yet another example of RLI's innovation through collaboration," said Jaime Gustafson, AVP, Transportation. "It was a fantastic opportunity to learn from and network with RLI colleagues." "Everyone always says the best part of these meetings is getting to spend time with other RLI team members," said Jen Klobnak, COO. "It's true, and I think we'll find some additional business opportunities from the information that was shared. It was a very energetic and curious group!" This was RLI's first Regional Summit.
Shared image

7 days ago

Careers
RLI Named to 2022 Elite 50 Internships List ​RLI has been named to the 2022 Elite 50 Internships list by RISE (Rising Insurance Star Executives). RISE identifies and publishes a list of the 50 best internship programs in the Insurance Industry across the USA. This is the second consecutive year RLI has been named to the list. "RLI's internship experience incorporates working on projects that contribute to our bottom line, hearing from RLI executive and product leadership teams, and networking with other RLI interns across multiple locations and departments," said Ryan Dean, Manager, Talent Development. "Being selected as one of RISE's Elite 50 Internships for a second consecutive year is a testimony to the importance of RLI's Intern Program and how it factors in to our company culture." Know someone who might be a good fit for an internship at RLI? https://www.rlicorp.com/careers
Shared image