ROI Revolution Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2020

3.9
ROI Revolution CEO Timothy Seward (no image)
Timothy Seward
Pros
  • "The office also has a fully stocked kitchen, and teams have weekly lunches(in 19 reviews)

• "The company company culture is good and they have a lot of benefits (catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen, ergonomic work stations)(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "ROI suffers from a severe turnover rate(in 6 reviews)

• "The only con that I would mention is that upper management has a pretty hard stance on working remotely full time(in 6 reviews)

1. "Dynamic Environment, Top Notch Coworkers"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of opportunities for specialized education highly relevant to today's digital marketing industry. Employees are motivated and kind. There's always something new and impactful to work on or learn about. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Can be challenging to adjust to working with clients with many different personalities and measures of success.

Continue reading
  2. "A Great Company to Work For While You're Young(ish)"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great atmosphere and team environment - Senior Management team that cares - Perks like a stocked kitchen, gym, team celebrations & more - Work/Home Flexibility (recently listened to employee feedback to open up work from home and time off policies!) - Transparency between senior management & employees

Cons

Not a ton of room to move up in the company if you have goals beyond the analyst or strategist role but I think that goes along with working for an agency

Senior Director of HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m happy to hear that you continue to enjoy your time with ROI and more specifically, the work environment, various perks, recent expansion of flexibility policies and relationships with senior leadership. In regard to moving up in the company, we know that professional growth and development is important to our employees and it is certainly something that managers throughout the company prioritize within their teams. We believe that growth does not always occur in a straight line and we continue to look for and find avenues for employees to grow in many different ways. While we have recently rolled out new cross-departmental learning and role change opportunities, we are exploring additional ways to formalize and expand these opportunities. In addition, as the organization evolves, we continue to see brand new roles emerge to meet the needs of the business, creating more pathways for career growth. As always, if you have more ideas you’d like to share on this topic, or any other, I’d love to hear them during my Open Office Hours on Mondays and Fridays. Best, Barbara

"Good place to start your marketing career"

Former Employee - Strategist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at ROI Revolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Overall good work culture. Everyone is super friendly and helpful, and many employees are friends outside work. Good for people relocating or looking to meet new people. • Onboarding process is very smooth, which can’t be understated in comparison to larger corporations. Entry-level employees will receive individualized training and be slowly ramped up before being expected to be autonomous. • You’ll come out with a huge breadth of knowledge of ecommerce, data analysis, marketing concepts, KPIs, and also soft skills like presentation skills. This is extremely applicable to any future job. If you do the standard 2-3 years at ROI you'll have enough skills to get a great next job. I'd recommend ROI to any grad or someone early in their career looking to transition to digital marketing. • You have a great deal of autonomy, especially for entry-level roles. You and your direct peer of your "pod" will get to do your own thing as a pair, likely with minimal interference from your manager. It can be empowering and will really allow you to grow your skills fast. • Though you’ll be siloed to one service, you’ll still touch and collaborate with many lines of business like PPC, social media, marketplaces, SEO, CRO, sales. • The facilities are very nice. You’ll get a large standing desk, 3 monitors, a nice office chair, and ROI won’t spare an expense to get you a mouse/keyboard you want if it’ll help you do your job better. The game room and gym is a nice plus but they rarely get used by employees since they are well, working. • The benefits package truly is incredible for a single person. Fully covered health/dental, decent 401k match.

Cons

• Long-term career options are limited. You can easily go from an analyst to a strategist and receive merit increases, but beyond that no other kinds of roles really exist other than management roles, which are very few and far between, and will be taken by employees who have been sticking around waiting for one to open up for 5+ years. This is more so an agency thing than anything else, though. • Because of this, ROI does have a higher turnover rate than what you’ll experience at other non-agency companies. This can lead to friction with transitioned clients, and can be demoralizing to employees when many of their peers leave one after another. However, this should be expected at an agency. • If you are an analyst, you will be paid hourly, which doesn’t necessarily promote efficiency. Many hourly employees (mostly analysts) will put in long hours doing useless extra busy work just to make a decent paycheck. • Senior management can be challenging. They stay pretty removed from the goings-on of the individual contributors for a company of less than 200 people and are resistant to organizational/structural change unless there is significant outcry from the ICs. And even then, change is very slow to happen, though more has been happening recently, so this could spell a positive trend. • A lot of your fate is based on luck of the draw of where you land. If you work in client services, you'll be paired up with a peer that you will work on ALL of your accounts with and will essentially learn everything from. New employees will only be as good as their more senior peer unless they actively seek knowledge out elsewhere. While most employees have good or at least professional relationships with their peer (which allows them to grow), some are not so lucky. • There will be a ton of useless meetings that you’ll have to go to. Some days it isn’t a big deal but on days where you have a ton of work to get done, its frustrating. • Work from home policy is one day a MONTH (you can get another one, but for extenuating circumstances). This is an extremely antiquated policy for a tech-forward company.

COO

Thank you for providing such thorough feedback. I am happy to know that you got so much out of your time with us at ROI. We invest a lot in our employees and I’m glad you saw that displayed in onboarding, training, benefits and our work environment. We have intentionally created many different channels to hear from all of our employees, including in-person skip level meetings with all reports of reports, Open Office Hours held multiple times a week and many survey options; I’d encourage anyone with feedback to utilize those channels or simply swing by given my open door policy. I fully agree with and support your sentiment regarding finding more pathways for some of our Client Services roles. It is something we continue to work toward, and are always brainstorming new roles and ways to encourage learning across the organization. You’ll also be happy to know that we expanded our WFH policy a few months ago, and there is no longer a cap! Team members can simply talk with their managers about working from home as managers know their team members best. Thanks again for your feedback! Best, Petra

4. COVID-19

"Genuinely cares about the people"

Current Employee - Marketing in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This has always been a great place to start a career, but as the team has grown-up, the company has been reactive in helping this to become a great place to continue to grow your career. It's always been great to see the care that the teams have for clients - and we've got some great ones - but also to see more pushback on making sure that we're only working with great clients. Everything that ROI is capable of controlling is in good shape, the work environment, people, benefits, etc. There's a better opportunity to grow with the introduction of new positions and the receptiveness to creating your own place and position within the company as long as it helps the company continue to grow and thrive. As a company in tech, it's got the usual perks - snacks, games, company meals - all in place to support the team and I think it works to help create a positive work environment. I've been here over 5 years and I've stayed because I've kept earning a spot up, I work with great people, and I believe in the work that we do. Keep it up.

Cons

No job or company is perfect, and ROI has definitely had some growing pains to get us to this point. The last 2 years in particular have had challenges as leadership has struggled to find their footing, but I think that the last 6 months have re-oriented the company towards the original goal of growing and serving brands - but also growing the careers of the employees. There used to be one path up and if it didn't work for you then tough, but now there are more options to grow and advance your career, with more in the pipe. The biggest complaint I see is that there are restrictions on WFH, but I'm optimistic that with increased flexibility offered in February, and now a proof of concept with the entire team remote because of Coronavirus, this challenge will be a thing of the past. On client services, the workload can sometimes be a lot (highly seasonal business) but the infrastructure of the company has changed to even the load between team members. Just keep listening to your employees!

COO

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your dedication over the last 5+ years. As you’ve highlighted, we collect feedback often and work hard to evolve for our clients and employees. I’m delighted to hear that our recent changes to flexibility and expanded career options make this a company you want to keep growing with. If you have big ideas, I’d encourage you to share them directly with me during Open Office Hours. Let’s think big together! Best, Petra

"You get out what you put into it"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time

Pros

This was my first job out of college. The Paid Search program had been fully developed for years, so I had a structured training program with plenty of support from teammates and opportunities to do real account work early on. Managers are generally hands-off, and they trust you to do what needs to be done without holding your hand. I expected to have an issue with the open floor plan, but the collaboration that came from not having cubicles helped me learn from my peers. The fully stocked kitchen is also nice. You get a monthly bonus if you bill five hours to education, which is easy to do with plenty of optional trainings and business books available to read. Benefits are often overlooked, but it's great not having to pay for health insurance, and 401(k) enrollment and matching starts at 6 months, for a maximum match of 6% on $0.50. The IT and admin departments are open to giving you the equipment and tech you need to work comfortably. You can request a new chair, foot rest, standing mat, keyboard, mouse and more without them batting an eye.

Cons

The performance review process is the area that exemplifies the company's growing pains. You end up having to regurgitate everything you did during the review cycle and how that fits certain attributes, then your manager relays that to HR. They've been trying to improve it, but there are still a few kinks to work out. Analysts are on hourly pay, which can be a good way of encouraging you to put in a few more hours of work, maybe toward education. However, this system is flawed in that it can make employees anxious if they are trying to "beat the clock" on a Friday afternoon to make sure they don't go over the maximum weekly hours by one or two minutes. The complaints on here about a lack of information sharing from senior management are valid. There are many times when the staff is starved for information about structure changes, clients and more that rumors spread, which can sow distrust in management.

Senior Director of HR

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at ROI thus far. It sounds like you have enjoyed the training program, our open space/collaboration, our focus on education and the health/retirement benefits we provide. We have worked hard to differentiate our company in those ways and are always looking for additional ways to do so. In fact, just this month, we announced several exciting changes to some of our policies and benefits, including the addition of a 10th paid holiday and a move to 100% employer-paid short-term and long-term disability coverage! As you know, we recently rolled out changes to our performance review process to respond to feedback like yours and to make it a more heavily performance-based system; we’d welcome your thoughts at its conclusion as we recognize that additional changes are likely required to make it more efficient. We also recently addressed your feedback on exemption status at the February Company Meeting as other employees have shared similar feedback. As mentioned, the hourly and salaried determination is based on federal laws and is not up to us. If a role qualifies for one of the exemption statuses as defined by the US Department of Labor, it can be paid as an exempt, salaried role; if not, the role must be paid as a non-exempt, hourly role. We do our best to communicate as often and openly as possible, but hope you can understand that some decisions take longer than expected to thoughtfully finalize and share. Best, Barbara

6. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ROI offers excellent benefits that are hard to beat and shouldn't be taken for granted. Senior Management is always accessible and approachable. Management cares about the professional development and growth of their employees, and the company will spend time and resources to help employees achieve their goals. Employees at the company are bright, driven, and always willing to help. HR sends out comprehensive employee engagement surveys each year, and the company takes action to address recurring themes or pain points. ROI continues growing and evolving which gives every employee the opportunity to make an impact at a company level.

Cons

ROI has significantly increased flexibility over the years, but there is still room for improvement. The company used to be very policy driven, and as ROI lets up on policies, it usually adds other caveats that restrict how frequently benefits can be used and/or require you to track how often you take advantage of them. Additionally, the level system and performance review process are tedious and can hurt morale. Improvements have been put in place for the next round of performance reviews, so we will see how effective the improvements are in the coming months.

Senior Director of HR

I appreciate the feedback about your experience at ROI. We certainly do our best to be available and listen to employee feedback to continuously improve. We are fortunate to be able to offer comprehensive benefits (which I also appreciate!), but definitely have room for improvement in other areas like flexibility. Stay tuned for some changes coming in Q1 that I think will address your concerns. If they don’t, please come to my Open Office Hours so we can brainstorm further! Best, Barbara

7. "Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Paid Search Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than a year

Pros

ROI is a great place to start your career and get some experience under you belt. The company company culture is good and they have a lot of benefits (catered lunches, fully stocked kitchen, ergonomic work stations).

Cons

They really don't invest in their employees like they should. Some of the hardest working people in the company are regularly passed over for promotions and it is very difficult to negotiate a fair raise when you do get a promotion.

Senior Director of HR

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m disappointed to hear that you feel we don’t invest in our employees – our employees are what make ROI so great! Some of the ways we feel we invest in our team members include continuing education (paid time), regular one-on-ones with managers to ensure continuous feedback, internal learning and development opportunities and excellent benefits. In addition, we are currently making changes to our performance review system to better align with our culture and business model. I would love to better understand your perspective and invite you to come to my Open Office Hours so we can chat in person. Let’s brainstorm! Best, Barbara

8. "Great company with lots to offer!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for less than a year

Pros

Forward thinking and innovative company looking for individuals who are willing to work hard and put their best foot forward. Apply here for new opportunities!

Cons

Have not seen any thus far!

9. "Doing it the right way"

Former Employee - Client Services in Raleigh, NC

I worked at ROI Revolution full-time

Pros

Treat employees well and they will treat clients well. ROI lives by this saying. Benefits that kick in on day 1, fully stocked kitchen, well structured review process that enables advancement for top performers and regular trainings to help improve skills. They don’t starve their clients for staffing and resources like some other local shops. They have multiple people working together on account strategy, they have a team that supports them from an analytics standpoint and a development team that listens and creates tools to make their lives easier and more efficient. Great experience and if I was on the client-side, I would gladly give the business to ROI.

Cons

Could be a little less process

CEO

Thank you for your feedback, I'm happy you had such a good experience here! For the past seventeen years, I've focused on creating a people-focused environment for growth, both personally and professionally, and look to extend on that with my vision for more extensive educational pairing. With that, our greatest opportunities for growth lie ahead, as we scale our teams and expertise to service an even larger number of well-known brands. Your point about 'a little less process' is well taken and I've advocated for more nimble, values-based experimentation and decision making. Best wishes in your career :).

10. "Really good place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Technology in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ROI Revolution full-time for more than a year

Pros

ROI has a great culture and truly believes in and supports the company values, Be the Good, Relentlessly Pursue Excellence, Embody a Growth Mindset, and Put Others First. In my experience it is rare to find a company that so actively lives into the stated values. ROI is not a large company, so it's pretty easy to get to know many people here and without fail I have found them all to be friendly, enthusiastic, and caring professionals dedicated to delivering outstanding service. The senior management team also personally reflects the values of the company and sincerely strives to make ROI a great place to work. The environment is very open, team oriented, and high energy. It really is fun to come to work each day.

Cons

Being a small company limits some of the opportunities to work in different parts of the country.

COO

Thank you for sharing your experience; we’re glad to hear you enjoy the work environment and the people. We work hard to hire people that embody our core values in order to create the friendly, supportive and dedicated culture you describe in your review. Best, Petra

Found 69 reviews