ROTH Capital Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Byron C. Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Place To Learn As Intern"

I have been working at ROTH Capital Partners part-time

Pros

Well known IB name in southern california

Cons

it's IB/research, so you need thick skin

2. "bucket shop"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at ROTH Capital Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

independence, not much structure, annual conference

Cons

Moe, Larry & Curly. run like a private family owned business. get everything in writing!

Advice to Management

doesnt matter, they wont listen

3. "Opportunity Abundant, Training Light"

Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at ROTH Capital Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of opportunity to take responsibility and grow. I was given more than I could handle and sacrificed some aspects of my personal life to grow faster. Roth appreciated my work ethic, and I was promoted early.
    - Good relationship with my managers. My team was friendly and busy. I think my bosses appreciated my work ethic and were willing and excited to teach me when I had questions.
    - The CEO helped me find my next opportunity when I told him that I was ready to move to the buyside. I've been an analyst at a hedge fund for 4 years now.

Cons

- Your training is often on-the-job training. Roth gives you the opportunity to learn by being there, but you aren't going to get an extensive training program. When I started, I wrote down every question that my bosses asked our clients so that I identify critical points to analyze. I became able to predict my bosses questions and ask my own questions that further drilled into critical issues. The platform is there for you to use...its your job to figure out how to use it in a way that works for you.
    - The culture was occasionally frustrating, but I think that can be investment banking in general

Advice to Management

- Keep the attractive health care plan. I missed that after I left.
    - It might make sense to have a 1 page list of the process that a financing has so that incoming hires know the capital raise process thoroughly.

4. "Analyst"

Pros

Opportunity to work closely with members of senior management as well as participate in deal meetings. Solid amount of deal flow for a small firm.

Cons

No formal training program meant that individuals were expected to learn on the job. As long as you are self-motivated to accomplish assigned tasks, it isn't a major problem.

Advice to Management

Developing a formal training program so analysts are better suited to enter the finance industry. At times, members of senior management expect us to know certain finance skills that we weren't taught.

5. "employee"

Pros

It is an investment bank based in Newport Beach, right next to several really credible financial institutions. Everyone knows the name, despite having the lowest quality reputation across the industry.

Cons

If you are okay dealing with the vagaries of micro cap companies, as well as private companies that are strategically destined for failure, then this is a great place. The quality of its prospects are of the lowest common denominator. Roth will do any transaction for any company at any time. It's competitors know this, the companies know this, the regulators know this ( look at its record of fines for FINRA infractions- oops). More importantly, if you are looking for a place to start a career, or a place to extend a career - it is a dead end. Nearly every Roth deal is a dog. Nearly every buy side client knows, or has been burned by a Roth transaction. Universally, the street thinks of Roth as a bucket shop. Its research analysts have zero credibility, and are bankers puppets to support Roth deals. Additionally, it is a culture of fear, and employees come and go, forcing everyone to look over their shoulder. The bankers fund "ideas" that VC's wouldnt touch. How Senior management believe its clients to be credible is beyond imagination

Advice to Management

Roth owns the firm, pays employees just enough to sustain them, and provides no equity incentives to actually build a firm. Roth is well funded and could actually restructure to incentivize employees to really build a firm, not just for the sake of fee generation. Additionally, its senior management staff could use an upgrade. You do not get best of breed from an incestuous localized low talent pool of division III college athletes who have no clue. Yes men galore or you are shown the door.

6. "Possible Wading Pool"

Current Employee - Institutional Equity Sales Trader in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Institutional Equity Sales Trader in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at ROTH Capital Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A way to get your foot in the industry. This is a Banking shop.

Cons

Costs are cut at the expense of business. Management initiatives aren't supported.

7. "intern salary"

Pros

family atmosphere, not that much stress

Cons

Low pay, no housing/other compensation for interns

8. "Good Leadership"

I have been working at ROTH Capital Partners (More than a year)

Pros

Family type atmosphere with good work/life balance.

Cons

Not in any hurry to grow

9. "Investment Banking Intern"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Intern in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Intern in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at ROTH Capital Partners part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interned in IB - great company and solid deal flow. Easy access to senior management. Saw multiple deals close and eventually price.

Cons

Headquartered in Newport Beach, so not very convenient if attending schools in downtown Los Angeles. Also not many other interns so you are left mainly associating with Associates and Senior VP's.

Advice to Management

Begin to develop a formal internship program which moves interns around the the firm - from Capital Markets to IB to Sales & Trading. Also, increase intern pay.

"Love the environment, some lazy individuals but also some willing to help!"

I worked at ROTH Capital Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depends on what department you're in, but lots of fun, exciting people. Many marketing events to attend, great networking base, small family environment.

Cons

Underpaid, departments should be integrated, should have training programs to mold new hires for growth opportunities, take advantage of young workers.

Advice to Management

REMOVE PROBLEM EMPLOYEES! If the consensus is that a employee is causing tension in the workplace - remove them and find a better replacement. Need more organization and less lazy individuals. INTEGRITY SHOULD BE BETTER.