RSI - Refrigeration Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2017

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam Wilson

"Growing company with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Service Tech in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that just keeps growing and getting better as it grows. I have been with RSI for several years and I have seen the company grow and change. They have added great support to employees and have created a bunch of opportunities within the company. Personally, I am in the service department and have learned a lot from the more experienced foreman and been given a lot of chances to progress and get promoted. I have also seen people in the office and shop have the same experiences. RSI is a family company and they do a great job making everyone feel like part of the family, even us technicians that are out in the field all the time.

All of the techs have the newest iPhones and we use the phone for email, calls, and apps for filling out our time and paper work, making it really easy to complete a call and send it back into the office.

Cons

They use a GPS system on the trucks so there is no driving the trucks whenever we want but that makes sense.. was just something that took some getting used to. It makes a beeping noise when you start it up and you have to flash a key fob in front of the sensor to check in so just make sure you keep your fob on your key ring!

They have been updating the app for work orders and it is getting better but still could use some work. Sometimes it crashes if I am getting poor cell reception.

Advice to Management

I like everything you guys are doing and am looking forward to the big 10year anniversary party! Also, the service meetings really help with communications so keep doing those

2. "Horrible moral"

Former Employee - Parts Driver in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Parts Driver in Sacramento, CA

I worked at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. That is you'll get a paycheck, most of the time. Sometimes they would tell me that my timecard was wrong and wouldn't pay me for days, or would make me wait another full week for my check. Totally illegal, but they never cared. Free coffee. Get paid for driving. Advancement into construction or manufacturing possible.

Cons

Terrible management with zero real experience. Only one or two managers has real experience. Managers consists of the owners friends and kids only. No objective thinking. HR is the worst I've ever went to with a problem. All lies, smoke, and mirrors. Everyone in the shop was unhappy and hated their job making moral lower than I've ever encountered. All office staff was unhappy and over stressed. I was locked out of the office and had to knock on a window 20 times a day. Dumb! Sometimes not paid for overtime or double time. Sometime only 6 hours off between shifts.

Advice to Management

Quit thinking that a degree is more powerful or important than experience. Quit old school managing and get with the times.

Mar 7, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I would like to respond to your points. First of all, we are so sorry that you did not have the fulfilling and enjoyable experience that we strive to provide and that so ... More

"The Best!"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RSI is the best! We all have a lot of fun at work and there are new things happening everyday. There isn't any corporate feeling, its a family company and it shows! Everything we do at RSI centers around integrity and helping out our customers on a moments notice. This also adds to the excitement and talking to a lot of people and really being part of something truly good.

They treat their employees really well and take the focus of mistakes are learning opportunities rather than firing people for making mistakes. They also do a lot of giveaways and create opportunities to reward employees and even give back to the community such as food drives and charities.

A lot of the people worked in higher positions in the company started in the same position I am in and were promoted through the company so that is really exciting and feels like there are lot of career opportunities

Cons

Nothing bad to say! I have only been about a year but I can tell everyone that has been here longer feels the way and there are really good vibes!

Advice to Management

The only thing I could say is that if we could have some type of extended schedule for the dispatchers to help us schedule time off to ensure our shifts are covered that would be great!

"Fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Service Dept. in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Service Dept. in Sacramento, CA

Pros

RSI is a fun place to work. They are very flexible and have taught me a lot about the industry and working with teams. RSI offers a lot of benefits and they promote a lot from within.

Cons

It took a while to get settled in as there are a lot of moving parts, but I learned a lot in the process.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and being open to change! I liked the last survey and seems like some changes are resulting from it so keep doing that!

"Company rakes in profits... but can't keep employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time

Pros

Huge player in their industry. Honest, and effective business practices mean they're growing at light speed. They aren't afraid to train the right person who may lack experience. Management is always available for questions.

Cons

Management is a little too young. They have ideas of how the company should run, but don't know how to apply their theories in real-time. HUGE turnover rate. Fairly low pay. Draconian office rules and relationships - no cell phones allowed, no personal emails or calls, no casual conversations during work hours. Taking breaks and PTO seems frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Collaboration needs to be more fluid. Encourage people to take an afternoon off once in a while, and they will work harder for you. Be open to criticism and remember that you're managing a small, family owned business, not a huge corporation.

Oct 14, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review. Just would like to clarify a few points for transparency; 1 - The Management team consists of individuals with over 30 years experience in the trade, degrees in ... More

"Great place for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Lots of room to grow in a growing company. Focus on internal promotions. Great development of employees from low level, all the way to top management

Cons

Industry is not well known so it makes it difficult for others to relate. Service and construction setting can be easily transferable however

Oct 14, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We do place a very strong focus on internal promotions and work hard to develop talent through cross training, task shadowing, and work sharing. We started as a small ... More

8. "Uncommon to find all they offer"

I have been working at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time

Pros

They offer so much including flexible hours, monthly provided staff lunches, various giveaways, free fresh fruit, coffee, etc delivered daily! It is uncommon to find these perks aside from maybe a tech company like Facebook or google. RSI treats their employees great and it shows! I am so thankful to be employed by such a great family company and feel like I am a member of the family myself! Great career opportunities and chances for growth.

Cons

The internet speed has been slow lately which I think is a result of all of the people that are now using computers but I heard we are getting faster internet soon!

Advice to Management

The monthly lunches are awesome and it would be fun if we could have a poll to vote on what lunches everyone wants each month!

9. "huge player in the industry but just can't seem to get it right"

I have been working at RSI - Refrigeration Solutions full-time

Pros

Huge player in the industry, expansive service area and opportunity for advancement if you get on certain people's good side

Cons

insane turnover rate, employees are quitting left and right, higher ups don't take people leaving well at all, too much OT and on call, summers are hell for everyone, no one is good at conflict resolution they just blame someone else when something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees, especially the ones leaving and don't take it personally. When there's nothing keeping them there what's to stop them from going somewhere else where they can work 40-50 hours/week?