RSM Reviews

3.7
RSM Managing Partner and Chief Executive Officer Joe Adams
Joe Adams
Pros
Cons
  • "If you can’t handle the hours of busy season this job may not be for you(in 195 reviews)

• "Long hours as standard in the industry(in 179 reviews)

1. "Chicago TRC Team"

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consulting - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RSM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team, great PTO, room for upward mobility

Cons

Need more assistance on the scheduling team. Overbooked/many conflicts

RSM2020-05-26
  2. "Salary"

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at RSM full-time

Pros

Great company culture. I enjoy working with all of my coworkers

Cons

I really can’t think of any

RSM2020-05-21
  3. "Exceptional company to learn and grow with"

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at RSM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experiential learning, trust, leadership, opportunities, compassion, care, curiosity

Cons

Can be long hours during busy times of the year

RSM2020-05-18
  4. "Great Starting Job"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at RSM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture was great here. Highlight recommend this job to student post grad looking to start a financial services career

Cons

Long work hours and high expectations

RSM2020-05-17
  5. "Positive and Fostering Environment"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at RSM full-time for less than a year

Pros

All of the benefits of a large public accounting firm without the added stress of the Big 4

Cons

Only con I could think of so far is that they do not offer any kind of education reimbursement but that is a rare thing to come by anyways.

RSM2020-05-15
  6. "Solid (ICS)"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RSM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is great but benefits could be better (only 3% total 401k match that vests over 5 years). base PTO is pretty great but no sick time. Very professional people and most are more than happy to help. Depending on the project, ample opportunities for greenfield or cutting-edge work.

Cons

Software CI/CD could use some work. In some areas manual deployments are common. Not much unit testing to speak of. Codebase fracturing (getting better). Production support can vary from very lax, to incredibly bad depending on the product. Lots of red tape and regulations. Requirements change all the time and it's not uncommon to rework an entire PoC or software process as a result (failing on the BA/PM for the most part).

RSM2020-05-14
  7. "Exceptional wealth practice"

Current Employee - Associate Wealth Management Advisor in Rockford, IL

I have been working at RSM full-time

Pros

Flexible, team oriented environment, great client base, a lot of exposure to different complex cases.

Cons

Very rigid, slow to adapt & implement technology.

RSM2020-05-10

"Just OK"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at RSM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work is challenging as there are changes in accounting occurring all the time. There are several industries covered and at first they will throw you into whatever their needs are but once you've developed your skill sets, you can later select which industry suits you. Good exposure to clients. Great way to learn all aspects of accounting within a company. There is a snack closet and during busy season there are dinners in the office (although it is mainly for tax employees). There are a few events thrown throughout the year that can be fun to attend (busy season and holiday party).

Cons

The office lacks diversity when you get to the higher levels. When the company employs bad staff/interns, they remain on the payroll until they quit themselves. Higher ups are only zoned in on getting people to do the work at the cost of their seniors to deal with bad staffing issues. Even when told about their evaluations and why RSM should not hire them, the partners do not trust what those have worked with them have said - they seem to just need bodies. Teams need to give better evaluations, there are lower performing individuals that don't get evaluations because they are scared to say something negative but then you hear others talk negatively of said individual. I've seen a manager also set up their senior for failure because they didn't like them. For the most part, everyone is helpful but there are times I've seen unprofessional-ism like this and it's sad. I met the central market leader of RSM at a work event and he only cared to speak to Partners. When I made conversation, he never looked at me and if he responded it was brief. There aren't as many social gatherings to get to know everyone. A lot of people work and then go home.

Continue reading
    RSM2020-05-21

"Ehh, Partners care about themselves"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RSM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big company feel, but not

Cons

Do not care about employees work/life balance

RSM2020-05-22
  10. "Great team client but no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at RSM full-time

Pros

Great team environment, easy access to upper management, solid promotion schedule

Cons

Pays less than other firms, hours can exceed 70-80 frequently, runs lean teams which can lead to poor training

RSM2020-05-20