RTI International Metals Reviews | Glassdoor

Dawne S. Hickton

"Technical Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RTI International Metals (More than a year)

Pros

Their are many opportunities for process, methods, systems and equipment improvement and the benefits of your improvement activities can be significant.

Cons

The processes used to document, produce and inspect products are inadequate for the served industries. This creates great reliance on the skills and experience of the employees thus pressures can be very high.

Advice to Management

With the acquisition of RTI by Alcoa Aluminum the best hope for improvement is to integrate the systems, processes and expertise of Alcoa to improve the tradition RTI methods.

2. "Electrician"

Current Employee - Senior Electrician/Maintenance Supervisor in La Marque, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Electrician/Maintenance Supervisor in La Marque, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals (Less than a year)

Pros

i learned new skills there

Cons

Upper Management was less than desirible

Advice to Management

you need to have better people skills and stop being one sided, learn to take advice from the employees.

3. "New structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MO

Pros

Great benefits. Paid holidays. The safety meals. That's all that's good about the place. The atmosphere is not good.

Cons

Management team is not organized. The people that work there does not work as a team. Lower pay. The workers are very mean toward new employees. No training.

Advice to Management

Management team Need to be reorganized. The people that are not happy with place needs to look for another job instead of keeping up mess in the work place

5. "job"

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Spring, TX

Pros

this place is paying ok

Cons

renew people every 12 months or less

"Corporate Technology Co-op"

Former Employee - Corporate Technology Co-op in Niles, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Technology Co-op in Niles, OH

I worked at RTI International Metals full-time

Pros

My manager was very good. He guided me on what to work on but let me explore much of what I thought was best for the project. After I was there for several months he started to consider my work to be right even when I was not certain it was and wanted him to look at it.

Cons

The shop floor management was not very open to innovation.

Advice to Management

Be more open to innovation.

7. "RTI"

Current Employee - Plant Clerical in Washington, MO
    Current Employee - Plant Clerical in Washington, MO

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RTI offers great training, and a very good benefit package. I would also say the DIrector of operations and other senior level management are very easy to speak with, and make time for those on the production floor.

Cons

The environemt in great, with the exception of a few whom believe they are "better" than everyone else. There tends to be to many meetings, and no real time to meet with certain management personnel.

"Great, until I made someone with many more years upset"

Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a union shop, which in many ways is excellent. Better pay than almost anywhere around, and most jobs you get incentive. If you are new and have questions , the guys are more than willing to amswer/show/help and guide new employees. Health benefits are next to government, so if you have a family, it's AMAZING, profit sharing is also a good thing.

Cons

Every dirty, no preventative maintenance, pretty much ever. Using out dated equipment usually and if it's not running right the answer is almost always "run it till it breaks", everything and I mean EVERYTHING is "fixed" with duct tape, safety is preached as more important than quantity but in the real work environment it is really quantity over safety. Good luck if you made an enemy out of a guy who has 20+ years. You will be harassed. When union forces person to stop, they will get management within department to harass you, write ups for things that are not true and always have several management witnesses that we never actually there to witness anything or are willing to lie about what they "witnessed" and IF you are lucky you will still have your job but harassment will continue, unending and without repercussions for those harassing you. It's definitely a HUGE gossip/rumor mill. If it wasn't for having a family to support and health insurance being so good and the pay I would have been gone 1.5 yrs ago when harassment first started and nothing was done about it. We were told new methods for producing our titanium and our Canton plant up and running would INCREASE our profit sharing however, we have seen a humongous DECREASE instead. No one likes or appreciates being lied to.

Advice to Management

PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE NILES PLANT! Especially HR and Melt Shop management! They condone harassment, play favorites and actually pick on the victims! That aside as a company we need to be more self sufficient. We need to own our own sponge and scrap companies, and we need to get a bigger share of the market for titanium! Niles plant needs more employees, PM to actually be done, and to stop fixing EVERYTHING with duct tape. Someone is going to end up getting seriously injured if not killed if this practice continues!!! Come through the plant, talk to EVERY worker, actually listen and take our advice. We are the ones who are on the floor everyday doing these jobs, we know better than management what is going on with our equipment/areas.

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of good benefits, rarely work on weekends if you're salary, nice managers, decent working conditions

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, poor management by upper management, don't use resources wisely, was formerly a nice place to work but now it's perks for only the chosen few, age discrimination pretty much in play now, if you're young you're in, lousy support from corporate.

Advice to Management

Very TOP heavy in corporate management. Pretty much a buddy system of hiring. Need to spend time with the "lower" class workers to let them know you appreciate the money they bring you!

"Masters of Age Discrimination"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

I worked at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before recent management came it was an excellent place to work. Salaried employees could work pretty much unhindered from micro-management. Pay was very good, great benefits and weekends were mostly free for family time. There are many good workers in the Niles plant, salaried and union, whom I've had the pleasure and privilege to work with and to know. They made it what it is - er, was.

Cons

Within the last 2 years, however, it has been nothing less that a continual hiring of executive "officers" who are thinking, not just outside the box, but outside the universe. Root cause is never addressed properly and quality is expected to pick up the slack. Hourly personnel purposely fail to fix problems upstream because they get "incentive pay" for fixing the problems later. And management doesn't have the backbone to fix it. Plus the equipment is pretty much "not-state-of-the-art". It's a sad indictment on a company that was once a proud family of industrialists. Now, it's all about Corporate greed. Imagine that.

Advice to Management

Stop spending all your money on hiring corporate executives and start re-investing it on much needed equipment. Also, when people come to you and recommend who are the good workers and how to use them...LISTEN. Oh and by the way, why is that President Dawne Hickton never visits any of the facilities she represents but only stays in her Pittsburgh ivory castle and won't dirty her shoes with the people who have make her such a tremendous salary each year? Oh, never mind. I think I just answered my own question.

11. "poor leadership"

Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have a profit sharing plan in place which is fair and reasonable. You have the ability to bid into other departments and learn new skills.

Cons

We use old equipment and their is no preventive maintenance so the equipment tends to breakdown frequently and parts are sometimes hard to comeby.

Advice to Management

Instead of buying companies that lose money, a better business model would be to purchase companies that supply the raw materials needed to produce the titanium such as titanium sponge and scrap. That way you can control your cost and even sell it to your competitors. I do understand the company expanding and entering new markets as I believe this vital to our future, but I do not understand why we do not own our own sponge and scrap facilities.