RTI International Metals Reviews | Glassdoor

Dawne S. Hickton

"Technical Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RTI International Metals (More than a year)

Pros

Their are many opportunities for process, methods, systems and equipment improvement and the benefits of your improvement activities can be significant.

Cons

The processes used to document, produce and inspect products are inadequate for the served industries. This creates great reliance on the skills and experience of the employees thus pressures can be very high.

Advice to Management

With the acquisition of RTI by Alcoa Aluminum the best hope for improvement is to integrate the systems, processes and expertise of Alcoa to improve the tradition RTI methods.

2. "Electrician"

Current Employee - Senior Electrician/Maintenance Supervisor in La Marque, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Electrician/Maintenance Supervisor in La Marque, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals (Less than a year)

Pros

i learned new skills there

Cons

Upper Management was less than desirible

Advice to Management

you need to have better people skills and stop being one sided, learn to take advice from the employees.

3. "Communication needs work"

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Over all great place to work. If you like to be busy - this is the place.

Cons

Communication from upper management could use work. Many goals are not aligned. Very hard for Women to advance in the Mill atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Communicate a clear vision to EVERYONE

5. "Sales Department"

I worked at RTI International Metals full-time

Pros

Nice people at the worker level who seemed to care about each other.
    Ability to contribute ideas for ways to innovate and improve your own work systems.
    I had a fantastic supervisor.

Cons

Very political; a lot of childish immature behavior by people who should've been professionals.
    The business was unstable; during my time, it was very much a potemkin village.
    Upper management was incompetent.
    Parent company knew nothing about the business of the subsidiary.
    No advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

Unless this division was designed to be a tax write-off for the parent, the lack of business wasn't sustainable to maintain it as a going concern.

"Great, until I made someone with many more years upset"

Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a union shop, which in many ways is excellent. Better pay than almost anywhere around, and most jobs you get incentive. If you are new and have questions , the guys are more than willing to amswer/show/help and guide new employees. Health benefits are next to government, so if you have a family, it's AMAZING, profit sharing is also a good thing.

Cons

Every dirty, no preventative maintenance, pretty much ever. Using out dated equipment usually and if it's not running right the answer is almost always "run it till it breaks", everything and I mean EVERYTHING is "fixed" with duct tape, safety is preached as more important than quantity but in the real work environment it is really quantity over safety. Good luck if you made an enemy out of a guy who has 20+ years. You will be harassed. When union forces person to stop, they will get management within department to harass you, write ups for things that are not true and always have several management witnesses that we never actually there to witness anything or are willing to lie about what they "witnessed" and IF you are lucky you will still have your job but harassment will continue, unending and without repercussions for those harassing you. It's definitely a HUGE gossip/rumor mill. If it wasn't for having a family to support and health insurance being so good and the pay I would have been gone 1.5 yrs ago when harassment first started and nothing was done about it. We were told new methods for producing our titanium and our Canton plant up and running would INCREASE our profit sharing however, we have seen a humongous DECREASE instead. No one likes or appreciates being lied to.

Advice to Management

PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE NILES PLANT! Especially HR and Melt Shop management! They condone harassment, play favorites and actually pick on the victims! That aside as a company we need to be more self sufficient. We need to own our own sponge and scrap companies, and we need to get a bigger share of the market for titanium! Niles plant needs more employees, PM to actually be done, and to stop fixing EVERYTHING with duct tape. Someone is going to end up getting seriously injured if not killed if this practice continues!!! Come through the plant, talk to EVERY worker, actually listen and take our advice. We are the ones who are on the floor everyday doing these jobs, we know better than management what is going on with our equipment/areas.

7. "RTI is on ok place to work, but like many places there is a ton of nepotism."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time

Pros

Overall a friendly environment. Good pay but you must negotiate on the way in. Management is overall pretty good at their jobs.

Cons

Nepotism run rampant. Many good employees are disheartened by bad employees have little to no consequences.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees and stop playing favorites. Also understand that people have home lives and the company is the livelihood of the employees not their lives.

8. "It was to be my final job but things didn't work out that way."

Pros

The company likes to promote from within. They have a strong backing and can survive a long time based on some good decisions made by its board and upper management.

Cons

They need to improve on consistent accountability. Some employees are still employed through the hard work of others. The anonymous hotline is a good source but has been taken overboard by reports with limited validity and not applicable to ethical violations as originally set up. The incentive and bonus plans really never paid out too much and should be a limited selling point for the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to exit interviews and set up improvement plans. RTI has lost their share of good employees due to inconsistencies within the system and holding on to ineffective employees. RTI should also hire HR PROFESSIONALS at some of their locations because there is a lack of professionalism as well as consistency in some cases.

9. "Good potential future awaits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, MS

Pros

Future planning good, actionable controls needs improvement, leadership okay

Cons

needs some stronger middle management

10. "Company is okay"

Current Employee - Business Process Analysis in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Business Process Analysis in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

People are the best with this company

Cons

Culture and Management is very weak

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sane

11. "We make money in spite of ourselves."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Warren, OH

Pros

The company has potential to be very profitable.

Cons

No support from skilled trades and a lack of qualified mechanics and electricians.

Advice to Management

Come into the plant and ask the people on the floor what needs to be done.