RTI International Metals Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
RTI International Metals Vice Chairman and CEO Dawne S. Hickton
Dawne S. Hickton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good chance for CMU graduate"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at RTI International Metals as an intern

Pros

Very well paid job for Materials Science Students, very friendly working environment, professional workers, and colleagues. A full-time job is offered at the end of intern, free buffet lunch, verything is really good.

Cons

The location is not that close to big cities, will feel a little bit lonely after work.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of good benefits, rarely work on weekends if you're salary, nice managers, decent working conditions

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, poor management by upper management, don't use resources wisely, was formerly a nice place to work but now it's perks for only the chosen few, age discrimination pretty much in play now, if you're young you're in, lousy support from corporate.

Advice to Management

Very TOP heavy in corporate management. Pretty much a buddy system of hiring. Need to spend time with the "lower" class workers to let them know you appreciate the money they bring you!

3. "RTI"

Current Employee - Plant Clerical in Washington, MO
    Current Employee - Plant Clerical in Washington, MO

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RTI offers great training, and a very good benefit package. I would also say the DIrector of operations and other senior level management are very easy to speak with, and make time for those on the production floor.

Cons

The environemt in great, with the exception of a few whom believe they are "better" than everyone else. There tends to be to many meetings, and no real time to meet with certain management personnel.

4. "Inspection"

Current Employee - Inspection
    Current Employee - Inspection

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for up to retirement! A good many job positions, and steady work enviorment..Great communication from worker to management..can work together..most of the time..looking forward to the future with ALCOA.

Cons

Working turns is hard on the body and hard to adjust too, week after week.

Advice to Management

Need to stop working turns and place people on one steady turn, according to seniority ... This would greatly benifit the health and well-being of your workers... and allow them to plan for time with there families.

5. "A great manufacturing company that's growing in many aspects of the business"

Pros

A very easy and laid back manufacturing company to work for. Very nice & friendly people who have the knowledge & skill set to help you out whenever.

Cons

Two Words - Union Shop. No one is held responsible for their work. Sometimes it is difficult to form a working relationship if you aren't a Union employee.

Advice to Management

Please work on communication. Communication is key. The better you communicate with the employees, the better understanding they have of the company and where it's heading.

6. "We make money in spite of ourselves."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Warren, OH

Pros

The company has potential to be very profitable.

Cons

No support from skilled trades and a lack of qualified mechanics and electricians.

Advice to Management

Come into the plant and ask the people on the floor what needs to be done.

7. "Company is okay"

Current Employee - Business Process Analysis in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Business Process Analysis in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

People are the best with this company

Cons

Culture and Management is very weak

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sane

8. "RTI is on ok place to work, but like many places there is a ton of nepotism."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time

Pros

Overall a friendly environment. Good pay but you must negotiate on the way in. Management is overall pretty good at their jobs.

Cons

Nepotism run rampant. Many good employees are disheartened by bad employees have little to no consequences.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees and stop playing favorites. Also understand that people have home lives and the company is the livelihood of the employees not their lives.

"Great, until I made someone with many more years upset"

Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Melt Shop in Niles, OH

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a union shop, which in many ways is excellent. Better pay than almost anywhere around, and most jobs you get incentive. If you are new and have questions , the guys are more than willing to amswer/show/help and guide new employees. Health benefits are next to government, so if you have a family, it's AMAZING, profit sharing is also a good thing.

Cons

Every dirty, no preventative maintenance, pretty much ever. Using out dated equipment usually and if it's not running right the answer is almost always "run it till it breaks", everything and I mean EVERYTHING is "fixed" with duct tape, safety is preached as more important than quantity but in the real work environment it is really quantity over safety. Good luck if you made an enemy out of a guy who has 20+ years. You will be harassed. When union forces person to stop, they will get management within department to harass you, write ups for things that are not true and always have several management witnesses that we never actually there to witness anything or are willing to lie about what they "witnessed" and IF you are lucky you will still have your job but harassment will continue, unending and without repercussions for those harassing you. It's definitely a HUGE gossip/rumor mill. If it wasn't for having a family to support and health insurance being so good and the pay I would have been gone 1.5 yrs ago when harassment first started and nothing was done about it. We were told new methods for producing our titanium and our Canton plant up and running would INCREASE our profit sharing however, we have seen a humongous DECREASE instead. No one likes or appreciates being lied to.

Advice to Management

PAY MORE ATTENTION TO THE NILES PLANT! Especially HR and Melt Shop management! They condone harassment, play favorites and actually pick on the victims! That aside as a company we need to be more self sufficient. We need to own our own sponge and scrap companies, and we need to get a bigger share of the market for titanium! Niles plant needs more employees, PM to actually be done, and to stop fixing EVERYTHING with duct tape. Someone is going to end up getting seriously injured if not killed if this practice continues!!! Come through the plant, talk to EVERY worker, actually listen and take our advice. We are the ones who are on the floor everyday doing these jobs, we know better than management what is going on with our equipment/areas.

10. "Communication needs work"

I have been working at RTI International Metals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Over all great place to work. If you like to be busy - this is the place.

Cons

Communication from upper management could use work. Many goals are not aligned. Very hard for Women to advance in the Mill atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Communicate a clear vision to EVERYONE