RTI International Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2020

4.4
RTI International President & CEO E. Wayne Holden
E. Wayne Holden
Pros
  • "Encourages a work/life balance and offers programs to employees to reach that balance(in 77 reviews)

• "Support for flexible work arrangements(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since it's a non-profit organization, salaries may be lower than typically expected for the qualification level(in 25 reviews)

• "The push for work/life balance is in full effect here but very difficult to achieve in the IT roles(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly dedicated to doing the right thing"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A community of extremely bright and talented people, and an institution that focuses on being a great place to work. The best leadership team I've ever worked for. RTI places a lot of value on building and maintaining a healthy working atmosphere where you can be valued as an individual and where you can enjoy a workplace free from annoyances (harassment etc.). Lots of places have a values statement, but this is the only place I've ever worked where management at every level strives to make it a part of the day-to-day culture. It's the kind of place where a random VP or the CEO sits with you at lunch and wants to know how to improve on what we're doing.

Cons

Like any big organization, experiences can vary across divisions and working groups. Like any big organization you can get lost unless you make an effort to connect and develop working relationships outside of your business unit.

Continue reading
  2. "Diversity and Inclusion"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RTI culture one of the best around. Employees care deeply about improving the human condition through science and research. Leadership is very involved and transparent about stances on current events, the need for employees to practice self care and balance life and work. RTI provides many onsite amenities for RTP area and works to provide similar considerations for offices in other states. They stand behind having employee resource groups and are committed to listening to the issues that affect diverse populations at RTI and strive to be inclusive. They have generous paid leave at the time of employee which increases over time.

Cons

Some health benefits are not as great as other companies I have worked for, though they are not bad. I currently do not use the RTI health care payer as several of my previous doctors ended up being out of network and the co-pays were higher at other providers.

3. "Good"

Former Employee - Project Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great offices, great start for young professionals.

Cons

Promotes a culture of favoritism and office politics. Lack of inside professional and experienced mentors.

4. COVID-19

"Six Months In, Under Quarantine"

Current Employee - Vice President, Talent Acquisition in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined RTI in January 2020 and moved to North Carolina in February 2020. Only 6 weeks later we were required to work from home and under a stay put order in the state of North Carolina. While this was not the transition I had envisioned or wanted, RTI has done everything I hoped they would in this kind of situation. They have communicated often, through different mediums, with a variety of people sharing news. I believe that the Institute cares about their employees more than any firm I have worked for in the past. I have been welcomed into the organization and to my team even during this time of remote working. I am so glad that I have joined this great organization.

Cons

The Institute is working hard to break down the silos and engage people across the organization. There is always more to be done in this space.

5. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Chesterton, IN

I worked at RTI International part-time

Pros

Flexibility, Time, Staff, Friendly Work Environment

Cons

Temporary, Cannot set your own schedule

6. "Learned a lot!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at RTI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience working on research projects straight out of college and was able to apply and build skills related to my economics degree. I had room to work independently but also collaborate and learn from colleagues.

Cons

a bit up tight, but as expected for such a well established and respected institution

7. "Progressive and Professional"

Current Employee - Senior Survey Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Offers many training options to increase your skills and contribute to the success of the Institute. In the past 7 years or so, RTI has started moving out of the old school corporate mold to a more progressive, respectful, and professional mindset. Encourages a work/life balance and offers programs to employees to reach that balance. This is not a place where you can be complacent. You are expected to contribute and grow.

Cons

There are many areas of research within the organization and they are all silos. This limits collaboration, exploring opportunities, and learning .

8. COVID-19

"An inspirational company that cares about the world and its employees"

Current Employee - Research Programmer/Analyst

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Their mission is to improve the human condition by turning knowledge into practice and they live it! It makes me proud everyday to know that I work for a company filled with so many bright, caring, and innovative employees who work collaboratively to produce a multitude of projects that contribute broadly to increasing scientific knowledge and improving human living conditions and health. There is a very visible intent to provide transparency in leadership through regular meaningful communications from the president and senior staff. Even before the pandemic their support for telecommuters and diverse geographic regions was excellent. Although the central headquarters are in North Carolina, they have consistently risen above the narrow-minded and prejudicial surrounding views to provide open and strong support for diversity including regarding race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and sexual identity. Although everyone works very hard, the message is clearly and consistently to maintain balance. For those who work in one of the many locations, there are always exercise facilities for employee use. And they have employee resource groups for many different groups which help us to connect and support one another.

Cons

Basically its pretty awesome. At times people are pigeon-holed a bit due to their job title or degree. This can detract somewhat from using everyone to their full potential.

"Incredible career opportunities both professional and personal"

Current Employee - Statistician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Committed to each individuals personal growth, RTI has been a fantastic place to really dive into what it means to be a Statistician. This place is collaborative and academic, which has allowed me to get involved in such a diverse set of projects. The international piece of the organization has connected me with folks in all corners of the country and the world, and you really do leave every day feeling like you've made an impact. Work from home and schedule flexibility is a huge plus when it comes to family and traveling.

Cons

It can feel overwhelming at times when juggling multiple projects. I've found that for the most part, managers and principal investigators are respectful of time.

10. COVID-19

"Great Place to Grow Your Research Career"

Current Employee - Research Statistician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Recently they have taken steps to invest in the employees to grow their career! Also with respect to the Covid-19 pandemic the management and all employees have looked out for the health of staff first and the transition to working from home has been very smooth!

Cons

Often have too many things to do, but not enough time in the day to do everything!

Found 553 reviews