RaceTrac Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2018

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay is good for the work, benefits a plus" (in 37 reviews)

• "great place with the right people" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "48 hour work week for managers don't allow for good work/life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "Call-ins/play favorites/upper management dont follow core values/no home life" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It’s a great job with the right people."

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Powder Springs, Cobb, GA

I have been working at RaceTrac part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workers, decent pay, meet new people.

Cons

Having people who don’t speak English makes it hard, but it’s a great job to have.

Advice to Management

My store has great managers and I’m thankful to be working there along side them.

2. "Manager"

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

can't think of any cons

3. "Shift manager"

Current Employee - Racetrac Shift Manager in Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Racetrac Shift Manager in Deland, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus- can increase depending on the store volume
    Guest engagement- you meet all kind of people which equal connections
    Hours- hours are set at 45 , so you always get the hours you need
    Easy work- self explanatory

Cons

Benefits and insurance- too expensive
    Call-out- ruined work-life balance
    Favoritisms- make worker not want to work as much

"Fairly ok company"

I have been working at RaceTrac full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits overall

Cons

Horrible upper management (corporate) who play favorites blatantly.

5. "Associate"

I worked at RaceTrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and your co workers were everything.

Cons

No raise and your hours changed weekly. Pay isn’t worth the work you do

6. "Racetrak"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mount Dora, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mount Dora, FL

I have been working at RaceTrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to earn customer service skills, reasonable benefits, and in company growth.

Cons

Lack of communication and no organization.

"It depends on what department or store"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RaceTrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

I worked at the corporate office, not a store. This may only apply to my department but my boss is a horrible drama queen who talks behind peoples backs and just makes the whole experience miserable if you're not in her "circle". It's nearly impossible to get anything done because you need a team and a team to approve that team and then 15 people to approve anything the team decides and it takes 6 months at least and that is if they like it. The culture at RaceTrac is probably best for Millenials and again a good Manager would make things way better.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they tell you how horrible one of your Senior leaders are.

8. "shift manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at RaceTrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on which shift you have 3rd for someone who prefers working alone or 1st for those who work well with others

Cons

Often times the needs of a single person get out weighed by the wants for a few. No raises just promotions. I will be stuck at my current pay until I move to a store that has better profitability or I get promoted to general manager.

RaceTrac Response

Nov 30, 2018 – Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback on the opportunities at RaceTrac. If you would like to provide further information, please reach out to your area leaders or employeerelations@racetrac.com. It is... More

9. "2nd Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Creative Designer in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Creative Designer in Gainesville, GA

I worked at RaceTrac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best people I've ever met. Most general managers will reason with you about your schedule if you come in and do your job as expected. Not ALL GMs will agree to help you out based on what they have going on, but they try. Between 7 stores, 6 years is a long time to form these opinions of how its really working behind the scenes.

Cons

The stores are inconsistently staffed, higher ups come in and criticize you for what you HAVENT done and expect you to do stock takes AND run the register AND have everything looking perfect. Also, no one likes to take the blame for their mistakes if they get caught. Its pointing the finger to ANYONE else to not get a slap on the hand. Racetrac has gone DOWNHILL and will continue to go down if the founder keeps donating all the profits to Duke University...not like that money could be used to raise the wimpy $11.25 an hr. AS A MANAGER, I WAS MAKING $1 MORE THAN MY ASSOCIATES THAT DIDNT SHOW UP TO WORK. No, I'm not going to invest my time and knowledge into your new employees to help you grow and STILL be selfish with your business. If you're at the top, you dont care who's at the bottom as long as they're working for you...and I'm finished. Do NOT work at Racetrac if you want your life to be of a good quality. Go to QT. Benefits, hrs, actual SPACE for a kitchen instead of "adding" it in...yeah, I'd rather have better quality and better management. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Be tentative to everyone. All people are not alike, work differently, and get motivated differently. Have an open mind. Go to those management seminars RT is FINALLY offering after 5 years of it being suggested.

"Used to feel safe, now, not so much..."

I have been working at RaceTrac part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation, beverages, other than that, it's a job

Cons

What with the staff cutbacks, there are only two people working on each shift, which in turn, makes the store a very busy place. I am literally on a register from the time I begin my shift until I count down. Not to mention, I am on a register nonstop from about 6 until about 10 , because the other person is in the coolers and doing sandwich pull, and am expectd to do unrealistic amounts of work, including bathrooms, filling cups and lids, mind you, the cups are kept on a shelf that is so high up , you can touch the ceiling, filling napkins, making sure the store looks like a musium peice all when the store is crawing with guests and most of those said guests are the meanest people I have ever faced in my entire life. Another con is safety , what with this two to a shift rule, something really bad is going to happen, and there will be no time to ring a bell or push a button, so, something needs to be done about that, or get ready to see some huge lawsuits...I remember a time when hardly anyone called out and noone played favorites...I have been with this company for a very long time.

Advice to Management

These stores are busy, you should propperly staff your stores, which is impairative to the safety of your employees, because anything can happen from a bad fall while trying to retrieve cups to a robbery gone wrong or an angry guest...

RaceTrac Response

Nov 26, 2018 – Employer Brand Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and for bringing these concerns to our attention. The safety of our team members is of the utmost importance. Please reach out to your area leaders or contact... More