Racepoint Global Reviews | Glassdoor

"Just Ok"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel Fridays, young office, everyone (except management) is very nice and inviting

Cons

Management doesn't try to understand employees, low work-life balance, low pay

Advice to Management

Understand your employees and their needs, both monetary and personal

"Management matters more than anything"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Racepoint Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good way to dip your toes into the PR world

Cons

Don't use Racepoint as an example of what all PR agencies are like. I've worked at a few agencies - and none have been anything like this place. There is something fundamentally wrong with RPG. I have never experienced such poor management across all job titles.

Management has made a point to "laugh at" and "ignore" Glassdoor reviews, as they assume that all reviews come from disgruntled employees who lost their jobs. Although this may be the case sometimes, generally people leave RPG on their own.

Advice to Management

I don't want to waste my time offering advice that I know won't be taken seriously.

Maybe don't pull out a "fancy" bottle of whiskey and walk around offering people shots after a round of upsetting lay-offs while we sit at our desks with unanswered questions. Not exactly good form...

3. "Great experience"

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Competitive employment benefits
    - Growth opportunities
    - Great work/life balance. People leave the office on time
    - Boston office location

Cons

- Below average salaries
    - No financial transparency

May 12, 2017 – VP, HR

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your time here at Racepoint. Glad to hear that your experience was a positive one! I'd welcome the opportunity to reconnect about any... More

"A bad system will beat a good person every time"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Racepoint Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about the agency model and got a deep understanding of technical clients which is helpful when you’re working in Boston.

Cons

Mid-level managers don’t receive the necessary training on how to efficiently manage. The feedback we get isn’t helpful, mostly just demeaning. You’re promoted here based on time put in, not skill – so you end up with a lot of people who have been working here for a while but are unfit to lead/manage.

Many senior managers have only worked at Racepoint, and cannot pull in experiences from different agencies or jobs. Instead of helping entry level coworkers improve and build on their career goals, many managers tell account coordinators to change their personalities in order to succeed at the agency. For example, "you need to act this way" "you need to be more like this"

The same group of 8 people have caused dozens to quit due to poor treatment. RPG has an incredibly high turnover rate. It's common for 1-2 people to quit every week (and only 60 people work in the Boston office). Very few people who I started with a few years ago are still at the agency.

The company favorites will all meet separately to talk about client relations and will fill in everyone else on a “need to know” basis. "The favorites" are given special privileges even if they’ve been here for a shorter amount of time than the rest of us - they’re put on the best accounts and are given the most responsibilities.

There are defined cliques, and the same group of people that has been here the longest tends to shut everyone else out. Entry level people are expected to show up to work around 7:30, and are often in the office past 6. You are reviewed by your peers, so if they don’t like you on personal level, it will reflect poorly on you during your review.

You end up in defined roles across your accounts that are hard to break away from. If you want to take on new responsibilities or join a different team, your requests are often ignored. This place definitely “plays favorites” and puts the same groups of people on the best accounts over and over.

People constantly complain to management about the issues experienced at Racepoint, but nothing changes. The same mediocre employees continue to hold the reins, the kindest and most talented staff members either quit or are fired for not adhering to Racepoint expectations and corporate standards.

Advice to Management

We hear about the same problems again and again but no one addresses them. Please do what you can to boost company morale. Make people feel valued and appreciated. Stop giving accolades to the same people every week. Recognize the hard work that is done across all levels, and listen to people when they want to change something – try mixing up the teams a bit. Give people more leadership roles and more credit, because a lot of us are smarter than you think and will only put up with the nonsense for so long.

"A fish rots from the head down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest perk here is a lack of red tape, but mostly because there is no real direction or leadership. If you're a self-starter than you can really succeed here, otherwise it's really just sink or swim.

Work life balance is pretty good, but only because nobody cares and nobody is doing any critical thinking about their work. You'd be hard press to find a unique or creative campaign here.

Cons

I worked at Racepoint for a few years and have witnessed poor management run the place into the ground. As other reviews have mentioned, the default agency promotion cycle creates an organization where people who have been at the agency for a while become managers, whether or not they have the skills to lead. This results in a bunch of mid-level managers and even VPs that have nothing under control. Bratty behavior and nitpicky habits are not only prevalent, but rewarded.

Racepoint is a PR agency that has been touting it's "integrated capabilities" for years but lacks knowledge of literally anything other than PR. Maybe 2-3 people in the entire agency (globally) have a fundamental understanding of email marketing, SEO, large-scale digital media campaigns, social media or analytics.

Culture is also a joke here. Which is ironic given how much time the agency has sunk into having the creative team create photos and videos that argue otherwise.

Advice to Management

Restructure, but instead of laying off your hardworking employees you should layoff your untalented, simple minded and uncreative management.

May 12, 2017 – VP, HR

Your experience at Racepoint is important to us - I'd welcome the opportunity to reconnect, if you'd be willing to share more feedback. Providing an environment that is both stimulating from a work... More

"PR Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't think there any. Maybe the location?

Cons

I don't even know where to start. This place is going downhill, and FAST. The general business model is hire ACs, who will work crazy long hours, get burnt out and quit. They are then replaced and the cycle repeats. It is frustrating when those on you team are constantly leaving and disrupting the work flow. Retention rate here is extremely low, from ACs up to VPs, people are leaving left and right. SO many empty desks....

RPG is too big now to pitch small biz, but too small to compete with the big names. Can't imagine they'll last much longer. Especially as they fail to meet the needs of digital marketing era. Senior people are out of touch and do nothing to drive a more integrated marketing approach. They are complacent, with MAJOR egos, which are largely unjustifiable.

Advice to Management

Honestly, this place is beyond saving.

May 12, 2017 – VP, HR

Appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective on Racepoint. Your perspective is valuable - especially, as you were with us for three years. I hope that during your time here you were able... More

"Company is ridiculous."

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time

Pros

Free food every so often I guess?

Cons

Disconnected ELT, sense of hierarchy, nepotism, low salary, no sense of camaraderie or value, entry level position is forced to get into work at 630am and worked 10hrs+ daily

May 12, 2017 – VP, HR

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Racepoint. I would appreciate the opportunity to connect directly to talk further about your experience.

"Disconnected Management and Poor Compensation Holding Agency Back"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Racepoint Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good opportunity as a first PR job in San Francisco since they normally hire interns
    - Pizza parties
    - Good health benefits
    - High profile clients allow employees to work on fun projects and interact with well-known media
    - Junior level staff work hard

Cons

- They don't offer competitive salaries so they can't hire outside talent in the area, forcing them to fill positions in Boston, creating a bigger divide between the offices
    - One of the cliquiest upper management teams I've come across. They alienate themselves from junior staff and have no real grasp on workload or the lack of company culture/moral
    - Most perks and benefits only apply to upper management
    - Company talks about record growth but doesn't give anything back to the employees
    - Archaic promotion and review process
    - A technology PR firm that still somehow uses decade old desktop PCs despite employees asking for better, working computers for years

Advice to Management

Actually come through on your promises. You'll keep having turnover if you continue to foster a culture of underpaid, under appreciated employees that know their complaints and concerns won't be addressed and are falling on def ears. The clients and opportunities are there to make it a good agency, but disconnected upper management and poor compensation is holding you back.

And stop posting reviews that are clearly written by HR in order to get Racepoint's ratings back up.

Jan 30, 2017 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to share with us everything you experienced during your time here at Racepoint Global. Your candor about the things that were great, as well as the things we can improve... More

9. "Best Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Racepoint Global (Less than a year)

Pros

What's not to like about working at Racepoint Global? Between the great management, genuinely nice and friendly people, awesome location in Boston, flexible work schedules, and professional growth opportunities, it's no wonder RPG has won Best Places to Work three years in a row. Management has done a great job at creating a collaborative and supportive work environment. For the most part, people love coming into work and are excited about the work that gets produced. Also, bagel Fridays and snacks are always a plus!

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work!

Dec 5, 2016 – HR

We're so glad to hear that your experience at Racepoint has been such a positive one. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

"Good people in a tight spot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Racepoint managed to attract a good range of talent particularly in public relations. They have offices around the world and a scheme to allow employees to visit them. Many of the senior staff are people that you can learn from; RJ in particular is amazing to work with if you have the opportunity and Peter is very approachable for a CEO.

Cons

Usual pain points of PR agency life:
     - Trying to meet too high a set of numbers by chasing business adversely affects client retention - which triggers a demoralising hamster wheel for all involved
     - Work life balance can take a hit
     - Non-PR offering trails other competitors in the marketplace - most PR agencies out there are struggling to make the jump to the digital world and Racepoint is no exception
     - FieldFacts isn't the point of differentiation one would think it was in the credentials, there are other influencer databases out there being done by large agencies who just think that its 'the way of working' now

Racepoint is in a tough place; too small for many of the clients we aspired to win, too big to duke it out with boutiques or be easily acquired; it is trying to cross a chasm to join the biggest agencies. Unfortunately this isn't just done by great work and perseverance, it requires timing, a certain amount of luck and investment. Trying to compete with the big boys on investment in providing full services is really tough.

If you are starting off a communications career, a PR agency probably isn't the only right way to go. Look in related areas such as social or content marketing. The PR function is still desirable but specialist PR businesses will have a harder time.

Advice to Management

Focus on the stuff that you're really great at: creative storytelling. Reduce the senior management overhead - I know this is hard and they're smart people but make it lean, more entrepreneural and hungry. Close down any offices that are a drag on the business; you did it with the former consumer team - keep reviewing.

Ask yourselves if each part of the studio and advertising bit is really working? If not outsource it. Invest in just key areas, outsource non-core functions in areas like finance and human resources. This should then free up some capital to put into the business and enable it to cross the current chasm it is transversing from medium to large businesses.

Nov 23, 2016 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to connect with you in more detail about the thoughts that you shared. Please feel free to contact me directly... More