Rackspace Reviews in Grapevine, TX | Glassdoor

Grapevine, TX

4.6
Joe Eazor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 75 reviews)

• Great culture and great benefits (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

1. "Great place to work. Good Home/Work Ratio"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist I in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist I in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Very oriented towards the employee while offering a great service towards the cuistomer.

Cons

We had some issues with upwards communication.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind towards your inventory techs as well.

"Was great until management changed."

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started with decent pay.

Great people to work with.

Excellent knowledge base.

Well organized inventory.

Quarterly team outings that often involved a quality meal at a nice restaurant.

Quarterly profit sharing bonuses(though the bonus fluctuated).

Working here generally looks great on a resume and will open many doors if you wish to seek work elsewhere after some time.

Overall, it was a great place to work.

Cons

Management changes both locally and within corporate began to affect the "culture" in ways that hurt employee morale.

Upper management sometimes made decisions that looked good on paper but were impractical to implement for techs trying to perform all the tasks already on their plate.(For example, a global ticket queue where we were supposed to try and work tickets for other data centers besides our own - something that was rarely even possible considering these tasks required hands on hardware support)

Raises seemed rare and small. While starting pay was "okay" it was far from competitive. Workload and job responsibilities increased with time.(For example, we began taking on responsibilities that were originally assigned to our network backbone engineers - who were paid about twice as much as our department)

Little to no room for upward or even lateral mobility. Would have had to move to Austin or San Antonio to "move up" to better paying positions within the company(outside of management positions).

Company has been losing money for a couple years and overall the future does not look great.

Advice to Management

Be careful of who you hire into management - preferably hiring from within to preserve culture and give the techs that deserve it opportunities to move up in their career.

"Datacenter technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Lax dress code
    Your team starts to feel like family
    Paid training (if you could get approval and the classes weren't full)
    Somewhat flexible hours, if your shift lead will work with you
    Team outings
    Can be a very laid back environment

Cons

To build up cooperation between shifts, they performed a "shift lead swap." Not all of the datacenter shift leads had a technical support or administration background, so one shift at a time ended up with management from someone that was not capable of leading the team of providing assistance on tickets because of a lack of training.
    At times, the work environment was highly critical of technicians that did not fit in because of their sex/sexual preference/race
    If you do not live in or near San Antonio, there is very little room for advancement
    We had conflicting goals, in that we had to quickly and efficiently resolve tickets, but we were not allowed to resolve issues that were in the domain of system administrators, even if it would save the customer time and we were trained to fix said issue.
    They place far too much emphasis on metrics, but disregard complexity of the tickets, so metrics can be extremely skewed by someone taking non-issue tickets such as server reboots and password resets.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing telecommuting for admins, because there is a huge pool of talent that is not located in San Antonio and already working for the company.

"Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace created an amazing culture and the work environment has been very laid back. There are always events going on from raffles to cookouts to team outings that kept working with fellow Rackers feeling like one big weekend lan party, everyone felt like they were friends instead of just coworkers, which leads into some of the cons.

Cons

I worked within the data center so some of this may not apply to Castle. Management tends to be very forgetful, doesn't pay much attention to team members unless something goes wrong, and as the company grew from several hundred to 4000 rackers and beyond, a lot of the policies changed. With the speed of it's growth, many policies would change multiple times within a quarter. Time off wasn't much of an issue, if you had the eto and wanted a night off, you could easily take it, but submitting for a sabbatical, it became a lengthy process that had to be reviewed before it got approved, which is understandable as it does need planning within your team to provide coverage. Though if you make one mistake, your sabbatical can be denied and you will have to wait until the next calendar year before being able to apply again. You're also requested to document how you spent your time and to create a presentation to show the rest of the company which can somewhat seem like homework over summer vacation. Pay was also a bit under the average for this type of position. At one point they did a study and found that they were paying much higher than the similar companies for the same positions. This caused a restructure that became a reoccurring thing. As mentioned being a pro, having the feeling that everyone was more of a friend than a coworker also has it's negatives. As they allow family to work together and encourage Rackers to refer their friends who would fit in well with the culture, you can see where this played a role in inner office politics and where management seemed to take part in. Nepotism would go overlooked and at times seemed to be rewarded, and there seemed to be "clicks" that you would fall in and out of over time.

Advice to Management

Take the time to acknowledge your employees/team members. Even a small compliment to their work can boost their moral exponentially. Allow them to move positions to another team to further their experiences and expertise.

"Culture only matters at the corporate office, everywhere else it's non existant"

Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time work, a steady paycheck. Great location if you live in Tarrant or Dallas county but limited by geographical locations otherwise.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you wish to move to San Antonio. Leadership asks for complete honesty then retaliates when it is given instead of listening to the honest and candid comments of their employees. Salary is below industry standard. When a worker is unhappy they are replaced instead of engaged in conversation.

Advice to Management

Leadership is a skill just like any other. Taking the best technician on the floor and making them a team lead or manager doesn't make them a leader. Pay more attention to your remote sites. Seeing all the perks that the staff at the home office enjoy like play time, free breakfast and such is degrading to the staff at the remote sites who don't get to enjoy all the freebies.

"I develop systems and applications to streamline processes and automate procedures within the datacenter."

Current Employee - Sys Admin/App Engineer/Developer in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Sys Admin/App Engineer/Developer in Grapevine, TX

Pros

EXCELLENT culture. People get along, for the most part, and that contributes to Rackspace's success.

Rackspace IS, plain and simple, a customer-oriented company...and it will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy.

Though a good work-ethic is required to do well, Rackspace offers a very laid back atmosphere where you aren't hovered over while doing your job.
    (As I said, whether this is a pro or con really depends on your self-discipline in work ethic)

Cons

Terrible management organization. There are countless numbers of VPs...and lower-level managers generally have 3-4 people they report to. This company is entirely bloated (as opposed to flat) and not quite big enough to require such a structure.
    Ultimately this means that getting anything big done is next to impossible.

Some level of bureaucracy is to be expected in any company....but the amount that exists at Rackspace can, at times, make your job to impossible at times.

Advice to Management

Flatten the leadership structure.
    Although customer-facing resources are very important....internal resource allocation and management needs to be vastly improved to sustain things.

"Meh. Good place to work to get into the industry...but overall, no place you really want to stay at IMO."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX

Pros

Great culture among coworkers.
    Laid back.
    Overall, the customer-support oriented of the company works generally very well.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy (more so than normal).
    Extremely inefficient management model (get ready to report to about 5 different managers and 5 OTHER VPs).

The internally-focused portion of the company (note this does NOT apply to the customer-facing portion of the company) has the worst track record of success and efficiency that I can think of.
    (I am primarily talking about internal development as that is the area that I work in)

Advice to Management

To qualify my response, I will say that I have made my way in Rackspace through reputation and a history of successful projects. I am known for being "the guy who gets it done when the people who are supposed to get it done cant/wont".

The biggest reason I had to become "that guy" was due to the incredibly inefficient management model.

Flatten the company...there are WAY too many VPs and WAY too many levels of management.

To me, as an employee, this means that I have way too many people to report to any time I need to get something done...and therefore my job is highly inefficient.
    It also means there are way too many potentials toes I might step on to get anything done as well.

This problem has impeded my work and efficiency from day 1...and it has even prevented my progression within the company. To get around this, I've had to go under the radar on many projects for many resources just to get my job done.

Showing 7 of 1,203 reviews