Rackspace Linux Systems Administrator II Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rackspace CEO Taylor Rhodes
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 70 reviews)

• Great culture that's hard to duplicate (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance often a problem (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

"Linux administrator II"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For San Antonio area the pay and benefits are above average. The company culture is one that encourages leaning and personal and professional growth. Rackspace is easily the best employer I have ever had.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past year and with the buy-out more changes are to come. Some of the change is good and long over due however there has been a lot of change that is not good. Morale within the castle is pretty low. Linux Admins I and II are now hourly positions thus you will not be a salaried professional but a hourly employee. There is little continuity in the expectation of skill level between the shifts. What is expected of a L1 on first shift is not the same as a L1 on any of the after hours shifts.

Advice to Management

Give us our salaries back. Make us professionals again and allow us to put in the extra time, work, and love that has made this company great in the past and we will make it even greater.

"A Great Career Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are new to the Information Technology industry then Rackspace is a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills. To this day, there are many bright minds employed at Rackspace. Being in the vicinity of these people and working with them on the endless flow of projects will expose you to scenarios that will sharpen your skills in ways you can't imagine.

The work flow is fast paced and nonstop. Being assigned to 3 or more simultaneous projects at once with hundreds more in queue is typical. This means that there is a lot of work to be done and your help is needed. Administrators, Account Managers, Sales, and Management are all exposed to every facet of the business. It is true that everyone is customer-facing. Cross-platform development is highly encouraged since talent in all departments is desperately needed.

There is a strong certification program called Rackspace University and the Open Cloud Academy to assist with skills development. Certification kiosks are on premises and grants are issued quite freely to those wishing to advance academically. Rackspace's core product is based upon developing consultants to support almost every facet of IT infrastructure. It uses a call center model as the vehicle to deliver services to clients hosting thier data center resources with the company.

The Launch of the Open Cloud 2011/2012 resulted in a surge of opportunity, explosive growth for the company, and a hiring frenzy. There is a bit of a festive environment to encourage socializing, however, this only exists on day shifts. It is not as intense as it used to be but it has not disappeared altogether. There is a great tolerance for employees with family responsibilities and time off is generous. People with special needs for a particular shift are entertained as well.

Your experience will depend heavily on who your Manager is.

Cons

Since latter 2013, morale has been on a downward trend. This was ignited by the board's announcement to sell the company which resulted in the "great brain drain of 2014." Ultimately, nearly 20% of senior workforce (including the CEO) jumped ship and pursued other opportunities which resulted in a lack of talent within Rackspace's workforce to support their products. Customer churn increased, industry trust waned, and share values have been on a downward trend since. A smokescreen tactic was implemented in the form of accelerating the development of the Open Cloud Academy in order to develop "raw talent" (individuals without much prior/relevant training) in order to maintain workforce headcount. Many were awarded titles and responsibilities far higher than their skill level. A secret layoff of 100+ individuals in an instance was also exposed which further destroyed trust within the workforce for management. Major inexplicable infrastructure issues perpetuated these complex politics.

The buddy system is very strong here. Many are advanced up the corporate ladder simply because they are "cool". There is alot of great talent at "the bottom" that never see a promotion because they do not socialize like most. Instead, they are the type that tend to be obsessed with thier craft, somewhat awkward, beautiful nerds. If conquering the corporate ladder is your agenda, simply hang out and sip beer with as many people as you can and you will advance. If self-development is your agenda, try to find a quiet spot and focus. You will find quite a few others in those dark places as well.

From top to bottom management the majority are technically talent-less. The systems administrators are the real product and they are not always treated as such. The context of an administrator's work is not evaluated at all, instead, the quantity is highly valued. This is because the type of work administrators perform cannot be interpreted by technically talent-less management. This discourages technicians from taking on heavy projects since they will be penalized for working "one" project for the day instead of "hundreds" of light projects. Yes, this is how many climb the corporate ladder very quickly by manipulating statistics instead of contributing true value to projects.

With that said, it can be very hard to focus on a singular project. Pressure from management that want to win statistical awards and the typical noise of a call center coupled with frequent interruptions from coworkers and phone calls can be a hindrance.

If you can balance these factors, you will win.

Advice to Management

Judge the context of your subordinates work and not the quantity. Stop segregating teams by roles, remove the cubicles, and create open work environments that allow a natural flow of socializing between departments. This will create a natural cross-pollination of knowledge and information resulting in a stronger workforce. Allow administrators to focus on what they do best, that is fixing and building things, not statistical battles.

Stick to your announced agendas. Frequent game plan changes is resulting in confusion and high stress. Be fair with promotions because employees are comparing thier evaluations and exposing the corruption. This results in animosity between the workforce and management. Stop shunning those with a competitive and professional edge that show up to work in a business suit from time to time. These people dress sharp to think sharp. The current definition of the culture is borderline vanity.

Don't be scared to evolve, keep fighting and sacrificing, your employees will mimic your example.

"Great company to work at"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with talented people the company offers several courses to different technologies,, every day you learn something new, and there are opportunities to develop you career moving to other areas

Cons

There are very few negative things, but to mentioned something the Senior management is poor the sales guys they just want to sell so they can reach their quote I can not tell that whole rackspace is like that, but some of them they are

Advice to Management

Assing the right people to the right positions

5. "Working at Rackspace"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great Benefits and great culture

Cons

Less Pay and culture is changing

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"Fun place to work, cheap"

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great people, fun place to work

Cons

You're paid below market and expected to work 2x more.

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy and taking all the stock. We all know what you are doing, getting as much as you can before things slow down

7. "Rackspace is an amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The culture, the specialization on your work, the training that you receive, the transparency,

Cons

You need to have a lot of experience/knowledge to get hired.

8. "Rackspace has a fun atmosphere."

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

Cons

It can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

Advice to Management

If Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

9. "Great place to learn and grow, top notch training programs, exceptional benefits, but only average in salary offering."

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have almost exclusively glowing praise for working at Rackspace.
    Training - There's a "Rackspace University" training program which will help to get you certified in a variety of IT certifications. All certifications are reimbursed. Training materials are also reimbursed. I obtained a RHCE, CCNA and Security+. Management lets you pursue what training you desire to take.
    Benefits - Humana, flex card, HSA, dental, vision, a rather generous 6% matched 1-to-1 401k plan, stock purchase, free physical therapy on site if at Texas locations. Quarterly profit sharing bonus.
    Real management - There's a lot less management BS, Rackspace's hiring process tends to pick top-notch people and there's less pointy haired bosses and a lot more constructive management. I felt engaged in what I was doing and motivated to do more. I've never worked at a company where I felt so actively involved and satisfied with my work.
    Name Recognition - Having worked for Rackspace is a bright shiny gold star on your resume.

Cons

The primary con was the salary offering, which is average at best. I would still be at Rackspace if I hadn't received an offer that Rackspace could not compete with. I wasn't even job hunting, they found me.
    The secondary con is based upon the primary con, there's enough attrition happening because of better salary offers elsewhere, it's difficult to maintain teams with high levels of training and sometimes I would be doing the workload of several employees.

10. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For!"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rackspace is a wonderful company to work for, and the benefits are great. I enjoy having an on-site gym and a plethora of food vendors to choose from on food truck days. I've heard the benefits aren't quite as nice in Austin, but it's still an awesome place to work! I love having a coffee shop and creative design team behind the San Antonio office.

Cons

I've heard the Austin office doesn't get quite the same amount of benefits as the San Antonio office which is a downside for people who work out of that office. The salary ranges are fairly massive, and it can be difficult to move around within that range. It seems increases in pay while keeping the same position can be hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Hold true to the core value of transparency as it seems it is sometimes avoided.

"Holy cow! I've never been treated so well!"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bent over backwards to accommodate my chosen lifestyle, my family, and my personal issues. This company is, so far, the best I've ever worked at in my 17 yr career as a System Administrator.

Cons

I had to come to San Antonio for training but honestly it's been pretty fun and so is probably not a con at all. They have told me that, as a remote worker, I will be limited in my upward career mobility but I have seen evidence within the organization to the contrary. Time will tell.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!