Rackspace Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Manager

3.7
Joe Eazor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 75 reviews)

• Great culture and great benefits (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

1. "Left RAX and came back, couldn't find a better place than RAX"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace allows me family time, Work from home when needed, plenty of time off to get things done. My boss is the best boss ever (RM), my team is great, we have fun while we work hard but I can't imagine being anywhere else other than Rackspace. I left in nov 2016 and was back may 2017. Never again I'll leave this place. Team outings, video games, team lunches, friends and family values. But don't get me wrong we do work hard.

Cons

Everything about Rackspace to me is a blessing. The Cons were hard on other companies I work for. Not here. It's all balanced in my view.

Advice to Management

My leaders - just keep doing what you're doing. Keep showing you care for us not only as the professionals we are but the people we are as well outside of Rackspace. Let's keep the culture alive and make this the best company to work for, for the next 30 years!

"Be Careful and Listen to Your Senses"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun themed environment, resume prestige, challenging work, and training available for soft and technical skills.

Cons

Poor Leadership and Management, Work piles up if you take a few days off, Smart Money Customers fleeing is probably a good place to start. HR works for the bosses, not the people (which we should already know), but they put up a front as if they are here to protect the "Racker" when CORE values are being abused by management. Lazy, Incompetent Leaders constantly create or upvote reorganizations to get a "fresh start" which steers them clear of accountability from the sinking ship that Rackspace has been since around 2012. All of the smart ones (or the ones that knew their worth and had the guts to jump ship) are gone now. You're lucky to have maybe *a few* solid leaders left, but they are either new or clinging to the very last bit of patience they have or worse, are there for just a paycheck and are just really slightly above average by skating when they could be remarkable if they gave it their full effort. A lot of bright people are turning lazy if they stay because "what's the point of working harder if I'm not going to be paid or recognized for it?"

Advice to Management

Most of the team leads are ok I guess, but I would definitely begin investigating and stack ranking your "Sr. Managers" and "VPs" with the aim of firing about 80% of them all. Chances are a few light turds will float up to the surface after the flush, but they will then see themselves out because they won't have their good ol boy network around to protect them and make them feel like they are doing anything worthwhile.

"Personnel Shakeup"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people on my team. Even though we were mostly focused on our own books of business, there was still an atmosphere of collaboration and teamwork.

Cons

In my business segment there were many organizational shifts over my last year of employment. Perhaps it was institutional opaqueness or maybe it was that my team wasn't at the San Antonio headquarters, but we were frequently presented with large-scale changes with little notice or explanation.

I would also ding my segment for lack of advancement opportunities. Team/segment-hopping is the best way to advance, but if you want to stay with your customers or remain on your team, it could be up to three years before being afforded the opportunity to level up (which includes a written exam, panel interview, and presentation).

Last thing: RS is not keeping pace with market in terms of compensation, especially considering that Enterprise Account Managers are expected to be available 24/7/365.

Advice to Management

Please be true to the 'transparency' core value. Change can be difficult and scary, but getting in front of it with not only explaining the "what" but also the "why" and the "how" will really help mitigate some of the stress and anxiety being felt on the floor.

4. "Great People..."

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employees and leadership. Great work environment.

Cons

Wrestling with private buyout to get sales and marketing teams straightened out.

Advice to Management

Empower Divisions!

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Manager, Procurement Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Procurement Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace has an open floor plan that encourages quick collaboration, teamwork and easy ability to build relationships. Rackers are a focused group whereas everyone is diligent about getting their jobs done and then some. Most go above and beyond their job responsibilities. They have a good balance of the work/play dynamic that works for just about everyone. Great culture that's hard to duplicate. It comes from the Rackers, not management.

Cons

Environment can get loud at times and may be hard to focus when that happens.

Advice to Management

Encourage the current culture.

6. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning! Rackspace has a great training department and philosophy. By making our Rackers better, we make the company better.

Cons

Uncertain times in 2017 post acquisition. There is an uptick in internal politics. Rackspace started off as a geek/tech guided company and now it is a business/stat driven company.

Advice to Management

Hire people for what they know, not who they know. Make it easier to terminate bad fits.

"Former Racker"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance for employees with families
    Great frontline Rackers
    The concept of fanatical support when done correctly is a huge value add to customers

Cons

Senior leadership is all over the place and which makes it hard to solve problems.

Taylor continues to get on stage and make inappropriate comments about politics and bad jokes in the mist of all of Rackspace hardship. Sometimes when he speaks I feel like I am in an episode of the office and Micheal Scott is on stage.

Teams do not work well cross-functionally. At times I felt like we operated as separate companies.

Rackspace pay is not competitive. About 20% less than industry standards.

Advice to Management

Get back to what Rackspace does best which is support. You have make more investments in training AMs, Techs, and customer facing resources.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

smart people solving hard problems

Cons

unorganized at times and lots of silos

9. "Was a great place but going through transitions. Future remains to be seen"

Former Employee - Product Manager III in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, balance, internal training and growth opportunities. Technologically agnostic allowing you to grow in many critical areas and experiment with your career path

Cons

Constant structural changes increases turbulence and distraction from core missions. A lot of emphasis put on perks that are matched by many companies and not as differentiating anymore.

10. "Technical Account Manager III"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Casual atmosphere that allows you to express yourself without being judged. Great Balance of work and personal life. Managers do not micro-manage and leadership is great at communicating the direction the company is headed. Quarterly team outings. Able to express your thoughts and provide solutions to leadership to improve work life and simplify workload. Unlimited training available-free.

Cons

Most positions do not pay industry standards. Currently, no plans for compensation or growth opportunities in some departments due to the recent acquisition

Advice to Management

n/a