Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Joe Eazor

1,359 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Some major changes to work life balance without your input" (in 33 reviews)

• "Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems" (in 64 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Obsessed and Incredible People"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vision is unchanged: to be recognized as a world-class service company
    Team-based Culture that promotes ownership
    Pushes decision making to those working daily with customers
    Leaders who are regularly thinking about improving customer experience and driving employee engagement
    Opportunity for those willing to put in the work

Cons

Culture can seem 'wide-open' which doesn't work for those wanting very clear, scripted, organized work environment
    Can lead to change fatigue if communication is unclear

Advice to Management

Keep learning and finding ways to improve the customer experience (listen to those supporting customers each day!)
    Continue ramping up the communications to employees

Rackspace Response

Sep 17, 2018 – Employee Experience Analyst

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and so is your service to the company. Thank you for being a promoter of Rackspace!

"Great, but C-Level is not engaged"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning opportunities
    Challenged at all times
    Frontline Rackers are like family
    People truly care, especially our VP of support, genuine, authentic leader

Cons

Substance over flash is no longer a thing - Flash without substance is rewarded
    We have too much leadership and not enough technical rackers to help our customers.

Too many C-Level, C-Level rarely visits frontline.

Huge disconnect from C-Level to frontline support

C-Level is not hungry, they’ve made their millions, not engaged or motivating.
    C-Level has zero empathy or solutions to the challenges frontline Rackers face each day.
    C-Level does not address questions when recently asked, “Why so many leaders and not enough engineers to support our customers?” This was asked in a recent town hall, it was not addressed as it was found insulting to the leaders.

Leaders in frontline support are often self serving and not truly interested in the success or happiness of their employees.

Advice to Management

Encourage substance over flash
    Keep Justin Brady as the VP of support and model all other leaders after him.
    Require account managers to be technical as well as leaders. Most leaders are not technical and offer no help when there are issues as they only understand excel and KPI reports. This leaves us to fend for ourselves and hope for the best.
    Stop lowering the bar on who we hire. We used to have high standards, now we hire incompetent leaders regularly and account managers who are not effective for our customers.
    Require consistency across the segments - Example, some segments are allowed to WFH, some are not. Yet, roles are the same. We have hundreds of remote Rackers, so the theory behind the limitations remains a mystery and is never explained by leadership.

Encourage a work life balance. Encourage leaders to encourage employees a work life balance. We burn out quickly on the frontline.

Ask yourselves with the amount of leadership in place why we continue to face the same issues and challenges we have for over 5 years. How many leaders does it take to change a lightbulb? Too many at Rackspace. Take the money we pay these leaders we truly don’t need and hire NetSec, Storage, Virt engineers. Our customers would be happy, our NPS scores would rise (customers will recommend us) We will grow faster and have happy customers and happy Rackers.

3. "It is awesome to be a Racker!"

Former Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You make friends for life - this is a family and something very special.
    You learn what it means to really serve customers and how to work on a team.
    You work with world class people who come to work every day inspired.
    You have so many learning opportunities, you have to try hard not to learn.
    People care...period.

Cons

San Antonio can be a tough city to move to if you're used to Austin or SF.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the power of Rackers....we are a special breed.

4. "support tech I"

Current Employee - Support Tech I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Support Tech I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pretty simple entry level technical position

Cons

too much shift left work ! adding way too much on our plate

5. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Austin, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to make impact. Work with and help really smart people. Grow your career. They value HR and I've never worked for a more welcoming place!

Cons

Not as global as they could be.

Advice to Management

keep focused on being a great place to work for Rackers and everything else will fall into place!

6. "Linux Systems Engineer"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Our team’s focus is on Linux infrastructure; but within that broad scope your job will have an immense breadth and the opportunity to get as deep and technical as you want. We are the back-end of the back-end of the back-end; we architect and design the systems that update the servers that support the applications that support the Rackers to work with our customers. Wealso help support those servers and some complex apps directly (and set up the Linux Operations team for success doing the same), but ultimately our job is to be the masters of the watch-works that keeps Rackspace’s internal Linux systems running. Our unofficial mascot is the octopus – we have our tentacles in everything and we might be a little weird but we’re wicked smart.

Cons

You are the technologist who knowsand loves your Linux (CentOS is our primary but we’ve got RHEL, Debian, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu…). Specifically, you must know how to fix it, build it, design it, understand best practices and be able to plan for a smooth transition to best practices for a system that might have been launched with a less-than-ideal implementation. Quite honestly, it also helps to just have a good attitude when you get pulled into supporting a system that isn’t perfect and it’ll be a while before we can rebuild it in the way we like.

7. "Best Place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment and fellow employees were amazing. Very fun atmosphere and a lot of perks to working at the castle. Only left to pursue my education

Cons

The only con id say is the location of the office and the promotion cycle because it only happens every couple months or once a year.

Advice to Management

Keep being fun and continue to treat your employees great. Also keep the orientation, extremely fun.

8. "Good place to work."

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Nice place to work and people are very friendly. The job is pleasantly challenging and there is a lot of potential to do great things

Cons

No interest, from management, in investing to build a better product. Concern is more about the 'bottom line' than reinvesting to make quality product.

Advice to Management

Invest more into cyber security.

9. "Used to be a great..."

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

There’s still some exceptional talent there.

Cons

Unfortunately, the great culture it once had, has been completely gutted from the company.

"Massive brain drain occurring right now due to slashing CapEx"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some incredibly brilliant people work here and Rackspace has done a great job filtering out what they call the 'brilliant jerk' during the hiring process, so people are usually very willing to help, or get you help.

-Exposure to tons of different technology stacks and customer environment types

-Pretty inclusive, friendly, and accepting environment in my opinion

-Good PTO and a overall a pretty good work life balance(there are exceptions of course)

-Some teams have good training budget

-Most teams do quarterly outings and a yearly holiday party.

Cons

-Management continually talks about how one of their core tenants is to attract, retain, and develop talent but the office is an empty shell of what is was only a year ago and you can always find a close parking spot with tons of vacant ones around.

-Complete focus on cutting costs and eliminating CapEx overhead with staffing so they can go public means the most talented people are leaving in droves because they can get paid double somewhere else.

-All roles are being pushed to lower level playbook readers and button pusher's in an attempt to save money.
     They are creating lower level junior roles and hiring inexperienced people while not back-filling more senior roles. The average level of talent is plummeting and so are customer reviews.

-Last year they got rid of all internal technical training in 'RackU' and just let people fend for themselves after hours with online learning catalogs. They have since started listing a few courses, but they are generally offered at a beginner/intermediate class(CCNA/RHCSA/MCSA) instead of meant to develop experts.

-More of a call center than ever before except now with a new broken software phone system the support teams are required to use, forcing them to juggle between their standard desk phone and software phones depending on their need to dial direct or transfer calls, all in the name of call routing efficiency and recording calls for meta data tagging purposes.

-Transparency used to be a core value but they have turned the monthly open forums into quarterly financial updates and reasons for why they can't increase pay or training budgets, while maintaining healthy profits and acquiring three companies last year.

-So called culture is dead and there are rarely any communal or department wide events anymore. Workplace services has been directed to throw away nerf darts so a place that was once exploring breaking the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest nerf fight is now throwing them away.

-Pay is below average, 401k is pretty bad with a max of around $2250 yearly contributions, or around a 3% match for me. Health care plans have gotten worse every year I've been here.

Advice to Management

Rackspace has built their brand and competitive differentiation on world class support from technical experts. Everything done outside of acquisitions since going private has been a race to the bottom and opposed to the general history and values of the company.

As a San Antonio local it was my dream to work here since I can remember, now I'm just hoping this place doesn't go into full lever pulling, script following, call center mode. There is still some morale and hope left, so start investing in your staff; bring back the world class expertise, and fun in the workplace, before this is just another MSP.

Showing 1,359 of 1,410 reviews