Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rackspace CEO Taylor Rhodes
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 70 reviews)

• Great Culture of customer care and support (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance often a problem (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

1. "Great place to learn and grow. . .then leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, complex work, casual work environment,

Cons

currently feels like an uncertain state of business

"Remote-friendly, but beware glass ceilings"

Former Employee - Software Developer III in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great culture and a number of world class developers, designers, managers, and teams there that really pushed me professionally and who were truly a joy to work with. Depending on your team, Rackspace has a great remote-friendly culture as well. They have done a good job of recruiting talent and have nationally competitive benefits/pay.

Cons

Depending on the organization within the company, women developers have few (or sometimes no) peers. Career paths are pretty rigidly defined, and if you don't fit easily into a certain box and happen to belong to a marginalized group, chances are that opportunities won't be created for you the way they are for your peers. When management expected me to take on management duties without a raise or title in an environment that was rife with political battles, I decided I'd do better to grow my career elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Help teams move in a common direction. Too often I worked on teams who, though not in overt or direct competition with each other, were working on projects with competing objectives. Duplicate work, lack of shared strategy and vision, and squabbling among middle management contributed to a lot of pain and frustration for talented team members when I was there.

3. "Meh.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This was a great place to work. Friends and Family is a core value and shows with the majority of all tenured employees.

Cons

The paid is below IT industry standards. Benefits are subpar. Mid management sometimes never has a clear directions or directives.

5. "Rackspace still top employer"

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sharing of Knowledge and training for tech positions is hard to beat. Lots of real world hands on experience with Enterprise scenarios. Continued ed and school reimbursement programs are great. Benefits are great. Middle mgmt generally do well to support their teams, and a good majority of the hires are competent.

Cons

Pay is slightly less then competitive. The free spirited, fun loving, nerf dart shooting culture has been crushed by the corporate bean counters.

6. "Was a great place but going through transitions. Future remains to be seen"

Former Employee - Product Manager III in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, balance, internal training and growth opportunities. Technologically agnostic allowing you to grow in many critical areas and experiment with your career path

Cons

Constant structural changes increases turbulence and distraction from core missions. A lot of emphasis put on perks that are matched by many companies and not as differentiating anymore.

7. "Technical Account Manager III"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Casual atmosphere that allows you to express yourself without being judged. Great Balance of work and personal life. Managers do not micro-manage and leadership is great at communicating the direction the company is headed. Quarterly team outings. Able to express your thoughts and provide solutions to leadership to improve work life and simplify workload. Unlimited training available-free.

Cons

Most positions do not pay industry standards. Currently, no plans for compensation or growth opportunities in some departments due to the recent acquisition

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "Internship Review"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work, seriously, I had the best time on my internship last Summer. Natalie, the Talent Recruiter did an amazing job with the internship program.

Cons

Not too much other than it would have been nice to have received an offer after the internship. However, I understand that they were going through an acquisition and could not afford to hire interns.

"Once a Racker Always a Racker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazingly talented and caring employees. Casual work environment. New ownership is forcing the business to make changes and attain goals. Less confusion about priorities than in the past. It;s a great place to work and things will get better. I hope to return in the future when the right opportunity is there for me again.

Cons

Ideas of how to cut costs and improve efficiency have always been there and have been shared, it just wasn't a priority when it should have been.

Advice to Management

Finding ways to cut costs or improve efficiency is something that could have been done for many years but it wasn't a priority. Moving forward, continue to be mindful of spending and hold accountable the leadership that made the bad business decisions, not the people who were there to help execute the initiative. The best ideas come from people at all levels of the business, not the top which is removed from what happens every day. The front line can see the problems and often have a passion and drive to make things better. Support them when they can do more for the company and customers by switching to focus at least temporarily for the greater good.

10. "Software Developer Intern"

Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place. Awesome people, good food. Freedom to make development choices

Cons

sometimes a lack of communication between teams

11. "Fun company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere and transparent leadership

Cons

Often a tumultuous company to work for

Advice to Management

Continue to be fully transparent

Showing 332 of 1,134 reviews