Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Joe Eazor

1,222 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

1. "Graduate Intern"

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

You are able to dress casually.

Cons

The work spaces are too "open"

"Terrible company"

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretends to support you but actually just cares about KPI and stats. Which harm our customers service.

Cons

Doesn't really care about you or your feelings. Only interested in numbers. Regardless of the extra time you spend helping out.

Advice to Management

Company has discriminated against me for my disabilities which is illegal. Raised this with them before but I was ignored.

3. "Lots of potential"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

tons of potential for internal growth, career training, and (at the headquarters) good culture.

Cons

data centers have become satellites that don't portray company values or culture. some managers are awesome... many just reward friends and would often fire good people they just didn't like

Advice to Management

shake up your management structure all the way down to the bottom. see if they actually do what the big wigs say you stand for

"Disabled Veteran discrimination"

Former Employee - Data Center Operations Tech II in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Data Center Operations Tech II in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned allot working there but was not allowed to grow

Cons

Bad Management, discrimination against disabled veterans, I was not the only one. I was forced to the point of quitting, then they would not hire me back when I was out of work this year. The payrate sucked also., and no raises in four years.

Advice to Management

Bad News, companies in America, who are free thanks to veterans, should help veterans or be put out of business.

"Rackspace is really "Apollo Global Management, LLC""

Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None at all. This company was acquired by "Apollo Global Management, LLC" in 2016 and Rackspace is no longer Rackspace. Apollo Global Management, LLC found it in their best interest for monetary gain to keep the name "Rackspace" after the acquisition for current customers and employee retention.

Cons

After the Rackspace acquisition by "Apollo Global Management, LLC", they have started to move U.S. jobs to their new location in Mexico City in a effort to reduce employee benefit costs. This is hurtful to the entire United States and not just the state of TX where the headquarters is located in the city of San Antonio.

Advice to Management

Stop doing what your doing to your United States employees by hiring cheap, non technical people to answer the phone and keep only a selected few to train new hires from Mexico City. Although at this point after recently being fired from Rackspace I honestly dont know any other senior server admins that will able to train anyone. This is bad for the customers and they should have left Rackspace/Apollo last year in 2016 but were never advised just like the employees were never advised of the Rackspace acquisition by Apollo Global Management, LLC.

"Unsure of what the future brings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What got me to Rackspace and what kept me there for over 3 years (just put my notice) is the culture of the company. They truly treat each other as friends and family! I've made great friends working there and I had a lot of fun.

The technical training is great. They provide you with the tools to learn but it's really up to you on devoting the time to learn complex technologies.

Great engineers and architects that are always willing to help you.

The Castle is an amazing place to work! I'm going to miss going to that building. The food trucks on Tuesdays & Fridays are cool. The yearly dodge ball event is so cool! They have nice gyms, onsite massage therapists and just cool amenities.

Free soda and snacks.

Cons

Pay is significantly below market rates. They preach the values, how great the culture is but culture does not pay the bills.

With the move of going private and the last two acquisitions (TriCore & DataPipe), the company has what looks to be on paper a good strategy going forward. The issue that I've dealt with for the past year is that the company goes into too many directions. There's not a clear vision of the strategy going forward. They preach the hybrid cloud and being able to manage client's infrastructure regardless of the technology they use but it's not quite like that.

From a sales perspective, the leadership will push you to sell dedicated infra (servers, firewalls, load balancers) and get you to tack on security software. On the other hand, if you are a cloud specialist focused on AWS, you are always fighting internally with reps on what solutions to pitch to the client. At the end of the day sales people will push what is easy to sell and what gets them paid quicker, which is always dedi servers.

The compensation plans are very low. I've held 4 positions at the company and I consistently saw my pay lowered. My last year I increased my earnings but because of all of the changes in the company, I was not sure if my position would still exist. Rackspace is really good about getting you to do lateral moves and finding a way to pay you less when you do it.

I think it's sad that Rackspace gives you a good technical training but keep losing people to the competition over pay. I have seen great sales and technical staff leave the company this year alone. Rackspace use to be the place where you stayed for 10+ years but not anymore. The culture that we all cherished seems to be ending quicker every day.

I love Rackspace and I wish nothing but success for the company. I hope they can find ways to retain the great employees they built and pay them fair wages according to market rates.

Advice to Management

I heard several times that one of the top priorities for the company is to attract and retain top talent yet I see no changes in the company to make that a reality. I was shocked on how many people reached out to me, when they learned I gave my notice, asking if I could help them find another opportunity.

I did not want to leave the company but I felt that I had an unsure future and my pay was just way below market value. I received multiple offers and the lowest ones were 50% higher than what I make today. Several companies told me that they specifically target Rackspace employees because they have great work ethic, are tech savvy, and are not paid well, which makes easier to recruit them. In other words, Rackspace keeps training their competition.

Until you fix this, you will continue to lose top talent and have a hard time attracting better talent. I want you to know that I am taking the time to write this review because I truly care about Rackspace and I will miss it a lot. I hope this can give you some insights that can help you improve.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really amazing people at Rackspace, that make going to work everyday a pleasure.
    Salaries are good and they will pay to get and keep good people.
    New direction of the company since going private is encouraging.
    Good benefits.
    Work/life balance good (in my experience).

Cons

Tooling tooling tooling
    Evidence of micro-management in some quarters (not in my experience but I hear about it)

Advice to Management

Trust your people to work hard and do the jobs you employed them to do

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an innovative environment where you can learn new things and have the chance to stay on top of new, emerging technologies; great culture

Cons

I can't really think of any

Advice to Management

Stay innovative; compete with OpenStack.

9. "Online Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Online Sales Executive in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Online Sales Executive in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really great culture.
    Cool office and benefits, including free breakfast, gym, healthcare etc.
    Lots of opportunities to learn and progress!

Cons

Not many cons, a genuinely enjoyable place.
    Pay is usually a little below industry average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Online Specialist"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

This position could be okay, with some major transformation.

Cons

I would advise against the Online Specialist position, for several reasons:

You know all the PTO you get offered at Rackspace? Don’t expect to get to use it, as your time off from work directly negatively impacts your chances of hitting goal for the month.
    Welcome to micro-management. You are measured on how many phone calls you take / how many chats you take / how your chat interactions rate you and how many of your interactions turn into leads/opportunities.
    We receive more support calls and random directory calls than actual sales inquiries, many days you feel like a member of the front desk phone team, just transferring random calls around Rackspace.
    You don’t have a clear career path designated after Online Specialists, the usual path is to move into Acquisitions sales but there’s an us-versus-them mentality between the Online Specialist team and the Acquisitions team, so it doesn’t exactly pose as a good next-step career option.
    The Online Specialists have a quota you have to hit each month and the numbers are carefully calculated out so that you’re tied to your seat all day every day, trying to get all the interactions you can get, in order to hit goal.
    There’s a lot of red tape and a lot of unwritten rules, some demoralizing feedback and comments from Directors/Managers definitely happens.
    The most frustrating part is the fact that our systems are very flawed and the internal sales departments all operate within their own silos, creating division among the different sales departments. For example, Online Specialists pass leads, in order to meet a monthly lead goal and maybe the leads aren’t the greatest quality, then the Acquisitions team receives the leads and are disgruntled about the low quality of leads they receive from the Online Specialist. Causing a situation where the Online Specialists are viewed as incapable or low quality, when we really aren’t, we just have our individual goal we are trying to hit, so we don't get written up or fired.
    When you work your pipeline and call your potential leads, you lose your spot in the phone queue, putting you at the bottom of the list, we are told statistics show we receive the majority of our leads from phone interactions, so imagine having to wait an hour to receive a potential sales call, just to lose your spot in line when you make an outbound call, making you have to wait another hour to receive a call (which likely won't even be a sales call).
    You also have a director, two team leaders and an onboarding specialist, all to manage a chill group of about 18 Online Specialists – Hello redundancy.
    You might be told during your interview that you can move anywhere after a year in this position, however there are several people in Online Specialist roles who are unable to move anywhere internally and there’s not any development assistance happening from leadership. You’re kind of viewed as “flawed” if you’re not out of this role within a year.
    With Apollo acquiring Rackspace, every penny is scrutinized right now, so the future isn't really clear.
    Lastly, if/when your day does come and you finally nab a different internal position, you are severely low-balled and you have to battle it out to receive a decent offer because Recruiting will base your new offer off of your current base salary of 35K, (minus your commission).

Overall, the vibe I get is the Online Specialist position is not a great launching pad into greater things at Rackspace.

Showing 1,222 of 1,272 reviews