Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,227 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 32 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

"Fantastic People with Need to Focus!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun, kind, energetic and eager-to-excel Rackers; Great life-work balance; Terrific environment; Three top execs seem terrific. Apollo actually adds tremendous value and guidance.

Cons

No salary raises AT ALL- not even to cover increases in insurance payments- even when you majorly move the needle! Very discouraging especially when many Rackers are Slackers... especially "Managers".

Advice to Management

Cut the goof-off dead weight! Reward the best workers so they will keep up their good work and STAY! Clearer vision. Get the changes over with and then heads down!

"Online Specialist"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

This position could be okay, with some major transformation.

Cons

I would advise against the Online Specialist position, for several reasons:

You know all the PTO you get offered at Rackspace? Don’t expect to get to use it, as your time off from work directly negatively impacts your chances of hitting goal for the month.
    Welcome to micro-management. You are measured on how many phone calls you take / how many chats you take / how your chat interactions rate you and how many of your interactions turn into leads/opportunities.
    We receive more support calls and random directory calls than actual sales inquiries, many days you feel like a member of the front desk phone team, just transferring random calls around Rackspace.
    You don’t have a clear career path designated after Online Specialists, the usual path is to move into Acquisitions sales but there’s an us-versus-them mentality between the Online Specialist team and the Acquisitions team, so it doesn’t exactly pose as a good next-step career option.
    The Online Specialists have a quota you have to hit each month and the numbers are carefully calculated out so that you’re tied to your seat all day every day, trying to get all the interactions you can get, in order to hit goal.
    There’s a lot of red tape and a lot of unwritten rules, some demoralizing feedback and comments from Directors/Managers definitely happens.
    The most frustrating part is the fact that our systems are very flawed and the internal sales departments all operate within their own silos, creating division among the different sales departments. For example, Online Specialists pass leads, in order to meet a monthly lead goal and maybe the leads aren’t the greatest quality, then the Acquisitions team receives the leads and are disgruntled about the low quality of leads they receive from the Online Specialist. Causing a situation where the Online Specialists are viewed as incapable or low quality, when we really aren’t, we just have our individual goal we are trying to hit, so we don't get written up or fired.
    When you work your pipeline and call your potential leads, you lose your spot in the phone queue, putting you at the bottom of the list, we are told statistics show we receive the majority of our leads from phone interactions, so imagine having to wait an hour to receive a potential sales call, just to lose your spot in line when you make an outbound call, making you have to wait another hour to receive a call (which likely won't even be a sales call).
    You also have a director, two team leaders and an onboarding specialist, all to manage a chill group of about 18 Online Specialists – Hello redundancy.
    You might be told during your interview that you can move anywhere after a year in this position, however there are several people in Online Specialist roles who are unable to move anywhere internally and there’s not any development assistance happening from leadership. You’re kind of viewed as “flawed” if you’re not out of this role within a year.
    With Apollo acquiring Rackspace, every penny is scrutinized right now, so the future isn't really clear.
    Lastly, if/when your day does come and you finally nab a different internal position, you are severely low-balled and you have to battle it out to receive a decent offer because Recruiting will base your new offer off of your current base salary of 35K, (minus your commission).

Overall, the vibe I get is the Online Specialist position is not a great launching pad into greater things at Rackspace.

"Director, Sales"

Former Employee - Director Sales
    Former Employee - Director Sales

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very strong product story on paper with the ability to sell nearly all of the world's leading private and public Clouds; AWS, Azure, Google, Azure Stack, Openstack, VMware SDDC and soon to be Alibaba Cloud w/the Datapipe acquisition. Strong past company culture which it's trying to hard to retain. Overall....it was an amazing place to work.

Cons

Rackspace is still managing through a heavy decline in their global business (the lingering impacts transitioning from a heavy dedicated hosting customer base to Cloud) while trying to broaden their extended Cloud portfolio as noted above in the "pro's" section. Growing pains are rampant. Support and Implementation is very disconnected across the Cloud products. Nearly all SLT has turned over which has a current impact on morale and culture. However, Backspace still has deep perseverance and some amazing Rackers so they will find their way to positive growth again and will likely find their mojo again with the culture. it may be bumpy for the next year, but there will also be a a lot of opportunity for growth for current Rackers in that bumpiness.

Advice to Management

One customer, one implementation, one support model!
    Focus hard on finding new ways to retain morale and culture. It's always been a key ingredient to success!
    Focus on further market differentiation in tools, automation and support. There is currently not enough differentiation for a customer to choose RAX over going direct with AWS, MSFT etc.

"Disabled Veteran discrimination"

Former Employee - Data Center Operations Tech II in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Data Center Operations Tech II in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned allot working there but was not allowed to grow

Cons

Bad Management, discrimination against disabled veterans, I was not the only one. I was forced to the point of quitting, then they would not hire me back when I was out of work this year. The payrate sucked also., and no raises in four years.

Advice to Management

Bad News, companies in America, who are free thanks to veterans, should help veterans or be put out of business.

5. "Long Term Commitment to Success"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

There has always been a culture of doing the right thing at Rackspace, both for customers as well as for employees. Many of the employees there have chosen to stay over 10 years, despite being heavily recruited elsewhere. It is truly an inspiring mission.

Cons

Big cloud disruption (AWS, Azure) over the past 5-10 years has led to multiple strategies & C-Level changes, which has created overall confusion in the marketplace as to what services Rackspace truly provides for customers.

Advice to Management

With a clear, concise, and distinct value proposition, and efficient operating model, Rackspace can truly dominate the cloud services industry.

"Rackspace is really "Apollo Global Management, LLC""

Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None at all. This company was acquired by "Apollo Global Management, LLC" in 2016 and Rackspace is no longer Rackspace. Apollo Global Management, LLC found it in their best interest for monetary gain to keep the name "Rackspace" after the acquisition for current customers and employee retention.

Cons

After the Rackspace acquisition by "Apollo Global Management, LLC", they have started to move U.S. jobs to their new location in Mexico City in a effort to reduce employee benefit costs. This is hurtful to the entire United States and not just the state of TX where the headquarters is located in the city of San Antonio.

Advice to Management

Stop doing what your doing to your United States employees by hiring cheap, non technical people to answer the phone and keep only a selected few to train new hires from Mexico City. Although at this point after recently being fired from Rackspace I honestly dont know any other senior server admins that will able to train anyone. This is bad for the customers and they should have left Rackspace/Apollo last year in 2016 but were never advised just like the employees were never advised of the Rackspace acquisition by Apollo Global Management, LLC.

"Fun Place, Low Pay"

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

The culture was excellent, it was fun place and co-wokers were awesome.

Cons

The pay was very low compared to industry.

Advice to Management

Not sure who management is anymore.. things have changes alot since my time there.

8. "Meh"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Great co works, great culture.

Cons

Company is struggling to find their identity.

9. "The culture is still alive in some areas"

Current Employee - Enterprise Support Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Support Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll still find yourself working among some of the most charismatic and intelligent people in the industry.

Cons

Sometimes confused and misguided leadership chain. Historically a revolving door for director and higher level positions.

"Good but not Great"

Former Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, working environment, new challenges

Cons

Lack of focus, inability to drive through to completion, constantly changing focus

Advice to Management

Be careful that you understand how your leadership style will fit in a constantly changing environment with many distractions.

Showing 1,227 of 1,277 reviews