Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

1,143 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,143 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 73 reviews)

• Great culture that's hard to duplicate (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

"Office politics trumps performance - worst example of office politics in my career."

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - super intelligent folks. Hard workers. There are some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to work with - unfortunately, their work is sullied by the politics - see below. There are folks I've met there whom I trust implicitly.

Cons

TL/DR - it's like high school all over again.

Some mistakes re: poor hiring into leadership positions made in the early years are being institutionalized. This is the modern equivalent of a "good ol' boys club". Office politics run rampant - internal (personal) marketing campaigns mean more than actual business results.

There is a lack of critical thinking or analysis applied to many issues. Sufficient application of enthusiasm and BS is enough to get past the most cursory of examinations. If you have no integrity or no qualms about blatantly placing self-interest above all else, this is an environment in which you can thrive. If you do have integrity or choose to place the interests of the company or others above your own, you will be beaten at every turn by those with questionable ethics.

I've seen several people deliver business results while tending to the relationships on their team - I've been close enough to see both the metrics and the relationships involved in the situation - and yet get passed over for promotions, or even forced out of the company due to petty office politics.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with the CORE values. Get back involved in the business. Get involved in the culture. The overriding emotion is FEAR due to a lack of trust in many in leadership. Those poor choices in leadership positions are gutting the confidence in the entirety of the business.

"terrible"

Pros

free soda, get to wear jeans every day

Cons

good old boy mentality, low pay, mediocre benefits, micromanagement, company changing direction too often, unnecessary stress, threats from management, favoritism

"Horrible recruiters"

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I actually have a lot of good things to say about Rackspace. It's a great place to work. I love everything about it.

Cons

The recruiters are horrible, they are turning good talent away.

Advice to Management

I have two friends who because there was one little thing that someone didn't like about them, the recruiters refused to ever talk to them again. Your recruiters are turning away great talent. The first friend, as far as we could tell the team loved, but it turned out that Rackspace had a bad quarter and was going to be hiring. Ok fine, shouldn't he get a chance again later down the road? However, he can't get a recruiter to talk to him. It's pretty sad to see.

"The culture is gone"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace tries to implement the "old" culture by bringing in slides and things that they believe will make it look like it's a fun environment, when in reality it isn't. They do have a coffee shop that is really good though...

Cons

Management no longer cares about their employees, and is actively trying to slim down the workforce through attrition, which was told to me by HR. They no longer care about keeping good talent but would rather have them leave and bring in people they can pay less for. If you're looking to change position, you should look outside the company as the entire company is on a hiring freeze as was also told to me by HR. You are no longer rewarded for bringing up ideas or having a voice, now you are yelled at or berated by your manager, and when you speak up HR takes the side of management even though you have a recording of your manager yelling at you. I actually had to start recording my one on one's to have proof that the harassment was happening, and still HR didn't care.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees and their concerns, don't just dismiss them. Don't yell or berate them, especially in front of other employees which my manager did several times, and not even to myself. Also, they need to read up on rules and regulations about hiring. Just because a woman can get pregnant or wants to have a baby is NOT a good reason to dismiss her application for hiring onto the team.

I hope Graham can turn things around and fix a lot of these issues as I have faith in him, he's a good person.

"Rackspace core values only on banners"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people to work with

Cons

Dictatorial Management. Sweat shop. No recognition of hard work

Advice to Management

Please practice core values and listen to the ground level employees. Go back 5 yrs in terms of practicing core values and genuinely caring for employees and not just power

"Started out great, four years later, AWFUL!!!"

Current Employee - DCOPS Technician Level II in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - DCOPS Technician Level II in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Four years ago it was awesome, still had that startup feel and benefits. Somewhere along the line Rackspace went corporate, and downhill fast. The fanatical support that they so proudly advertise, no such thing, all it is is just trying to see who can make the boss the happiest while making everyone else pissed off.

Cons

It sucks. If you like backstabbing, brown-nosing, and favoritism, this is the place for you, it is the company motto. If you are disabled, don't even bother, everyone I worked with who was disabled, ended up out of a job. Worst place I have ever worked!

Advice to Management

Bring back the startup mentality, because the company is going to end up in the gutter.

"Do to waste your time, especially if your a veteran."

Current Employee - Long Time Racker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Long Time Racker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for longer than a decade. In 2003, we were the company to beat. Great young leaders that got the actual mission and core values. The best part of Rackspace back then was the sky was the limit.

Cons

Rackspace has unfortunately become a twisted joke of what it once was. 'Fanatical Support' is long dead, apathy runs rampant, and front line rackers are always covering their backsides and the business is full of sycophantic ladder climbers and really good liars and back stabbers. You will not be paid what your worth unless you are a new VP, we don't need. Then you'll get a handsome stock plan and awesome salary. The worst part is the 'show.' By this I mean Rackspace does a lot of good in the community. Unfortunately Rackspace HR works like the Gestapo of nazi germany. They threaten and intimidate. They treat veterans coming home and trying to work in civilian life like worthless employees to be threatened should PTSD bother that "Racker." Rackspace will spend money if they get to show you how much they support the troops. If any of their employees actually need help, there is no money!

Advice to Management

Take the company private again, remember our original Core values. And stop promoting incompetence! Also, clean out your illieagal and awful senior HR team.

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Network Security Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Commitment to training programs (though still needs some work).
    -Great culture.
    -Amazing wealth of talent and teammates/co-workers who really care and are generally pleasant to work with (for the most part).
    -The few managers that actually care.
    -Some good perks like a slide and a coffee shop in the San Antonio office.
    -Food trucks/vendors, arcades, and ping pong tables in both San Antonio and Austin offices.
    -Pretty decent benefits.

Cons

-Managers either have absolutely no clue what is going on and how to do their jobs or they are so hand-tied by their bosses that it makes them look incompetent. Probably a bit of both.
    -Compensation is considered a running joke throughout the office and merit raises are non-existent. If you want a raise, you have to either transfer to a different department or get promoted. The promotion process is the most ridiculous thing you'll ever deal with. First you have to get a bunch of certifications that have nothing to do with your job. Then you have to take a written test with some ridiculous off the wall questions and scenarios that maybe has been seen one time in the history of the company. If you get that far, you get to go through a peer interview process where you are subject to bias and the buddy system. Good luck with all of that.
    -Most managers will not listen to anything you have to say about broken processes or ideas that you think could help the team or the company.
    -Career paths are never considered. Basically you level up a couple of times and then stay in that spot forever with no possibility of a raise. Or you can try transferring out to a different department which could take 6-9 months in some cases. Or you can get promoted to a Manager role. The great thing is once you become a manager, you get absolutely no manager training! Also you have to answer to your managers and their ridiculous goals and metrics.
    -Co-workers cannot drive or park in a parking lot without dinging and hitting cars. Nearly get ran over in the parking lot daily.
    -Transparency used to be a Pro but it is completely gone over the past few years.
    -No direction from senior leadership. It seems like every 6 months we have to completely change our mission and do a completely organization restructuring.
    -Leadership seems to think that a great culture should be able to overcome being severely underpaid and overworked.
    -There seems to be a manager for every 3 or 4 workers. Massive middle management bloat. It is so obvious to everyone in the company and yet they do nothing about it.
    -Incompetent workers that have long tenure are allowed to stay incompetent by their managers and are even encouraged by them! These people are poison to the company!!
    -Meanwhile hard workers that have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into the company are berated by managers and asked to work even harder!
    -Headcount is a huge problem right now. Managers do not backfill positions in a timely manner so the ones that have stuck around through the hard times are doing double or triple the work for the same pay.
    -If you ever complain about the problems on your team and with headcount, they tell you to stop whining and get back to work.
    -Rackspace has become a call center mentality. Always focused on numbers and metrics. This type of customer service does not lend itself well to metrics. As long as you are doing right by the customer, who cares!!!

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at the direction of this company and your hiring practices for managers. Get rid of the problem managers and train the good ones to be even more effective managers. Quit tying the hands of your managers and allow them to think for themselves and their team. Get back to being transparent again. Focus on paying your employees the industry standard pay because you are FAR FAR away from it right now. Also come visit with the teams and ask them what some of the pain points are and what they think could solve them. Surveys can only do so much!! Focus on fixing headcount issues. How can you support customers when you don't have anyone behind the desks? Stop focusing on the metrics and focus on making Rackers happy and excited to come to work! Haven't you noticed all of the frowns around the office lately? This is serious.

"VERY VERY MISLEADING, AND TURNING MORE MICROMANAGED EVERY DAY"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work at Rackspace: they pay US dollars, they allow employees to wear shorts (for now),

Cons

Majors: HUGE management and division restructuring on a quarterly basis, new red tape and micromanagement procedures every day, dictator like mandates to remove our experience and personal touch on our work/tickets. Little to no after hours culture; all after hours are completely left out of weekly activities. Hot food options provided only once a week for after hours employees. Teams supporting dedicated customers are pushed to the dirt for "Cloud" teams. Entire divisions and it's duties consolidated and no raise in compensation for MULTIPLE added responsibilities.

Minors: they took away our trash cans, HORRIBLE parking, facility in terrible part of town, facility interior regularly smells like feet,

Advice to Management

Total over haul of your after hours management. Start treating Cloud for what it is; an add-on.

"A good company going sour"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun work environment, slide, coffee shop in-house, trees inside, many conference rooms that can be used for unscheduled ad-hoc meetings, located in an old mall

Cons

The culture has gone from Friends and Family to hostile and dangerous. Management is not listening to the real needs of people and makes crazy decisions on what is really needed vs what management thinks we need. Waste of money is always the outcome.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Make sure you understand your employee's real needs. Make sure you encourage your employees to push the envelope rather than cutting corners and making things on the "cheap".

Giving employees bad reviews because they try to push the envelope is not helping; it's counter productive and hostile. Advancing from within is almost impossible,

Showing 1,143 of 1,188 reviews