Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,227 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 32 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

1. "Product Mgr"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding company..Feels more like a family..

Cons

Too many levels of management..Most are unnecessary..

Advice to Management

Trim redundant positions..

"A company that has lost its way..."

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest and most creative people I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

Many people still care about customer-centricity and “Fanatical Support” but lack the means to execute given the cuts.

Cons

New senior leadership is way over their head with a legacy telco mentality. You can’t expect executives to flourish in a services company when their careers were spent in “denial of service” industries and companies.

In-fighting amongst specialist groups and sales teams due to poor alignment between compensation and sales quota plans, internal product competition & cannibalization (Legacy dedicated business competes with Azure, AWS & GCP services), terribly ineffective sales enablement and SDR groups.

Support and sales morale is very low due to attrition, combined with an inability to get new hires on board at the rate we need them. This has resulted in considerable disengagement and lethargy across multiple areas of the business.

Advice to Management

Be available beyond the monthly open book meeting and communicate more internally. Talk to the folks in front-line support and field sales and get their perspectives outside of the “Echo Chamber”. It’s disheartening to know that some of our newest Executive leaders, who have been in role for at least a quarter, haven’t even met with the teams that fall under their organizational structure.

You can’t cut your way to the top by cutting roles with no backfills and expect high-caliber results, unless you’re truly investing in automated processes to help narrow the gap, specifically in SDR and support functions.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results; we’ve seen this with 2 CEO changes and numerous senior level marketing and sales leaders (too many that I’ve honestly lost count).

"10+ year employee"

Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician
    Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice vacation plan.
    Reduced price or free drinks, such as sodas or energy drinks.
    Willing to provide access to online training and assist with various certifications.

Cons

Since the last takeover, things are looking down.
    Bonuses have stopped.
    Raises are trivial or non-existent.
    We can't backfill positions due to a hiring freeze that has been in effect for far too long.
    Since we can't backfill, management won't get rid of bad employees; I guess better a warm body than nothing.
    Senior people are leaving at a worrisome pace.
    The vast majority of Rackspace's upper management has been replaced and the new people seem to see us as walking dollar signs and not much else.
    I could go on, but basically employee perks are being slowly taken away, systems aren't being updated, and the new management is doing their best to make it worse.

Advice to Management

We're a couple of years away from being yet another giant soulless company. It will be very hard to provide "fanatical support" with unmotivated employees. It will take years to get back what you've willingly thrown away already. Start doing raises. Get rid of the hiring freeze. Listen to your underlings; at least a couple of us still care, but nobody's listening.

"An Excellent Place - Don't Stay too Long"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provided you put in your time, and continue to deliver, you can have a great deal of flexibility in your work/life balance

If you work in San Antonio, you're in the mothership and will have nearly every resource available to you

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. This is not the place to be a new manager as you won't receive much in the way of help or empowerment.

If you're in sales, your comp plan will be difficult to understand, track, and get paid on. It will also change at Rackspace's discretion. You can make money, but its a lot more luck than skill.

The HR team is filled with nice people who are ultimately powerless to help you

If you live/work in Austin, you need to be VERY clear during the interview about where you'll be working. Many Austin based Rackers end up riding the shuttle to San Antonio several times per week.

Long story short - the first few years are really great, but once you hit 3 or 4, go ahead and start looking for your next adventure.

5. "Culture"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist I in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist I in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority Referrals, Hired to fit Company's Culture, Great Bonus and Company Perks

Cons

None. You really have to be lazy to not like working for Rackspace

"Management can be pretty lousy!"

Former Employee - Techie in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Techie in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

It used to be good work/life balance place to work for. They also provide training to get your certs if you want them.

Cons

Since it's been bought out by a Hedge Fund, about a year ago, all heck broke lose. Management can be petty and vindictive, depends on the department, and HR is helpless to stop them from doing what ever they want. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, their input may actually be valuable.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Office and Billing Manager in Maineville, OH
    Former Employee - Office and Billing Manager in Maineville, OH

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, competitive pay, generous PTO, great culture

Cons

Company started to fall apart

"Great Start"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people
    Reasonable Work/Life balance
    Low expectations

Cons

Pay below industry standard
    Low mobility

9. "CTS"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes bad people to work with

"Business Development Consultant"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

They really hire nice and fun people to work with. Lots of training opportunities. You're not micro-managed much. As a company, they try to do a lot to boost morale, but it's really hiding bigger issues. You are exposed to a lot of different technologies - so that that experience and get out.

Cons

Being a seller is only about 20% of the job. The rest is made up of customer service, implementation of closed deals, internal process hurdles, and finding the correct resource to talk to and finding time on their schedule - all of which is INFURIATING. Pay is low for the industry, and probably won't increase due to lack of company profitability.

Advice to Management

Split profitable accounts more evenly among sales representatives. Giving a lot of low revenue accounts to reps doesn't increase their earning potential, it just gives them more busy work - or comp them differently.

Showing 1,227 of 1,277 reviews