Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Rackspace Reviews

Updated February 1, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance often a problem (in 29 reviews)

• Lots of dysfunctional middle management that don't fully understand their teams and objectives (in 61 reviews)

"Sr. Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Loved my team, we all worked really hard together and treated each other like family.

Cons

Some executive leadership allowed go getters to go get and left tons of great people's bodies all over the place. One even stated to a group of us culture really doesn't matter. WRONG! Culture is what makes Rackspace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your boots on the ground, in the trenches people. They can solve a lot of your problems. Create a more simple vision that everyone can rally behind. I warned you about this anf you black balled me for speaking the truth but I forgive you and love you because I'm a Rackers at heart. That's why I left because the writing was on the wall that you were going the way of Dell hiring all of you Dell Exec buddies to run something they don't understand. Vision, love your people, trust your people, and empower your people. Most of that is gone from the masses but there are some leaders that have stayed true. God bless the Rackers and Rackspace. I love you and pray for your success.

"Rackspace is a shell of it's former self"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

My team mates are awesome.

Cons

The company is now just another corporate meat grinder with no sense of where it came from. Environment is very tense and suspicious. Too many bad managers.

Advice to Management

You're loosing all of your veteran Rackers who remember that Rackspace was once a great place to work. The layoffs of 2016 were handled very poorly and no loyalty was shown to the veteran employees who gutted it out during the growth years. You ask us for "fanatical support" and then stab us in the back.

"Senior Executive Team is a Joke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great headquarters
    -Only hi-tech serious company in San Antonio
    -One founder is still involved trying to hold the place together
    -Decent entry level and mid-level rackers

Cons

-Extremely bad leadership at the top. Coercive and political.
    -If CEO likes you, you are promoted (nepotism)
    -No good business results since 2014 and management hides these results
    -The wheels are literally coming off the wagon

Advice to Management

CEO and his leadership team manage with fear and passive/aggressive behavior. Nepotism reigns as a bunch of EDS middle managers (including the CEO) rose at Rackspace as senior leaders by appointing each other; and destroyed the place. Good politicians, but terrible leaders and business people. No strategy, no execution, no real results. The company turned into a nasty place and they are lost. All worthy people are gone, especially in leadership.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

The amount of time off is great.

Cons

They have lost vision. Not much team effort for support. Good luck

"Not what it once was"

Former Employee - Manager, Software Development in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Software Development in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has plenty of opportunity for anyone looking to work hard on a variety of technologies.

Cons

Over the years, new people from outside the company have come in and changed the culture. Rackspace culture has declined and there are a lot of politics instead of people trying to help each other.

Advice to Management

FIx mid-level management. It seems leadership at the top is great and a vision has been shaped to move the company forward. Unfortunately, mid-level management no longer wants to hear their people. They want everyone to march in lock-step, whereas it used to be that Rackers were encouraged to speak up when they see things not going as they should.

"Was great before..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The people. I worked with so many outstanding Rackers that would do anything for you and cared for our customers--the camaraderie was fantastic. The sales salary, while not as high as others, can get you well above the $100k range if you're really good.

Cons

The culture is no where near where it was when I started 5 years ago. When I first joined the organization, I was stunned at their effectiveness in keeping the "startup" feel alive. Over the years, I have watched this place become more and more corporate. I was naive to think this place was anything more than a billion dollar organization looking to make returns for it's shareholders. Once Lanham, Lew, Sugar Bear and team left, the soul was sucked out of the place.

They recently made the move to become a more professionally led organization and while the strategy Taylor has put in place was very well thought out, his team's ability to execute on it has bordered on mediocre and gross incompetence (see higher churn and lower revenue)

The product has been lapped in innovation by Google, AWS, and Microsoft. Rackspace went from an innovator in the Public Cloud space to investing, for all intents and purposes, nothing in R&D. Their public cloud is not cloudy which has lead them to push third party clouds with Managed Support layered. They recently made a push to make R&D a priority but, in my opinion, this was far too late.

The demand for their services has been reduced to nearly half of what it once was in its hay day which requires perfection from its sellers to meet targets; this is a model that scales poorly. If you are considering a sales role at Rackspace, think long and hard about whether or not you have the level of expertise to sell with little-to-no demand, poor/slow implementation, reduced support expertise, tons of bureaucracy and a lower pay rate than their competitors.

While I don't think the current state spells the end for Rackspace, I do think the days of 25%+ growth are well behind it and they are likely going to be playing the margins game moving forward--not fun.

Advice to Management

Your focus on the business has taken your eye off of the people that make it go. I think you should strongly consider bringing back some of the leaders that were there previously and embody the core values that made Rackspace a great place to work once.

"Once great company is now totally lost"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the vast majority of Rackers here in the trenches: especially customer support & ops ("engine room") who are very customer focused, have good technical skills, are sincere and a joy to work with. The Castle (HQ here in San Antonio) has a funky, oversized startup feel and dress code is very casual at all levels. Upper management ("SLT") is fairly open about the state of the business and their 'current' strategy.

Cons

The lack of any coherent or consistent strategy by upper management has put this once great company in a very tough spot in the market (see a stock price chart or relative market share chart) and makes it very hard to do your job well, especially if you're a manager or above. This place has literally changed its strategy every 6 months for the past few years -- throwing spaghetti against the wall vs. focusing on the fundamentals of good execution and leadership. The political infighting between departments is out of control. The product teams are going through some tough changes, but are on the right track and have good leaders now. Steer clear of sales and marketing.

Advice to Management

Focus the strategy and stick to it. Providing general support on every cloud and technology stack, hoping to get a small share of each, isn't how to become great again. Hold yourselves accountable for execution and results. Get rid of leaders (old and new) that are only trying to build their own empires vs. focusing on what's best for Rackspace, Rackers, and our customers.

"It is a call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were good people and the job had a lot of different work activities occurring.

Cons

Please is a sweat shop, expect to be belittled by customers. Upper management makes cuts quick.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible

"Support"

Pros

I worked with very smart people. It was easy to interface with different people on different teams. Everyone was always willing to learn and teach one another.

Cons

Management was not organized and had no sense of Operational Procedures.

"Could be awesome, but ends up just average."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Lots of energy.
    * Neat technology.
    * There are a lot of very talented, intelligent and passionate people that work here.
    * Free soda.

Cons

* Uncompetitive salary.
    * Very unprepared and very, very bad middle management and upper management.
    * For many rackers there just isn't a lot of growth planning. This leads to burnout.

Advice to Management

* First, stop hiring so many people and determine which employees contribute, how they contribute and cull the ones that do not.
    * Really invest in the infrastructure. Rackspace has survived as a people centric company, which is great, but has very outdated tooling and poor efficiency throughout the company.

Showing 120 of 1,076 reviews