Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

Rackspace Reviews

Updated June 8, 2017

Pros
  • The company has good work/life balance and growth within organization (in 70 reviews)

• Great culture that's hard to duplicate (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 61 reviews)

"dst"

Current Employee - DAT in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - DAT in San Antonio, TX

Pros

ok company to work for

Cons

no room for growth in

Advice to Management

listen

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Acquisition Sales Representative in Universal City, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisition Sales Representative in Universal City, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work, and great technology!

Cons

Not the best company to be Sales, technology is overpriced and slightly behind our more affordable competitors.

Advice to Management

Lower prices, and work with Marketing to develop new campaigns that generate more qualified leads.

3. "Good Place to Start"

Current Employee - Content Strategist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Content Strategist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is an incredible leader. Great speaker and true motivator.

Cool work environment, and depending on your manager, they are relatively flexible with work-life balance.

Cons

There is a great culture here, but due to recent failure in the past couple of years, that culture continues to diminish.

Getting paid what you are worth is pulling teeth. You'll find many people with your title outside of this company with much greater pay.

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire, but recognize Rackers for their contribution, their sacrifice, and their worth.

"Director"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Schertz, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Schertz, TX

I have been working at Rackspace (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace has remnants of a once great culture. There are terrific people that work there that still put customer first and live the company values.

Cons

The culture at Rackspace is rapidly declining largely due to poor Senior leadership. The greatness of Rackspace is a value system that puts the customer first. That is no longer the case. It is Stock holder first. The standard SLT approach is do more with less. Senior Leadership only promotes leaders to Mid Management who share that theme and do not stand up for the customer. That worked for a period of time. It has reached the point where we are now doing less with less as we can no longer do more. The result is we are doing less with less and failing to keep our promise to customers. That word is on the streets and has brought a serious decline in growth.

Advice to Management

Renew customer focus. Stop listening to Board members and investors that do not know our business and are willing to short change customers to increase profits. Invest in fanatical support and stop just using it a piggy bank. Fanatical Support is our business. Invest in it.

"Great culture and people, sloppy business in trouble"

Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace has a unique culture in the IT space. The company differentiates on service leadership, which is enabled by great culture and employee attitude. It really works and provides great customer value. People treat each other really well, too.

Cons

The company is not operationally focused and many things are not measured. The lack of clear data impairs decision-making. Costs are generally not under control, and there is substantial deadwood in the organization that needs to be cleared out. Also, Rackspace is not changing fast enough to keep up with competitors like AWS and Microsoft.

Advice to Management

The world is changing. Rackspace needs to radically change, or it will disappear. Take the pain of a major restructuring now.

6. "review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good place to work, work hard play hard, lot of fun when successful, good package, international experience, lot of training

Cons

strongly monthly driven, opportunistic sometimes, currently difficult market, after stepping in its clear within 6 months if you are succesful

"I still believe in Rackspace! The people are the power there!"

Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Back when I started five years ago the culture was top not. Friends and Family isn't just a statement but a way of life. You are surrounded by people who genuinely care for one another and are genuinely passionate about their work.

Through my tenure at Rackspace there has been many training opportunities to learn new things and go into multiple directions. Truly an awesome place if you want to grow.

Cons

The primary issues you hear with Rackspace on Glassdoor are 1) Pay below industry standard and 2) Middle Management. I will echo both of those and say those are two major cons there.

To address middle management - I will say that the issues of middle management, change in management, them not listening to front line Rackers, etc is more in the support departments. This is not good considering that "Fanatical Support" is the lifeforce of the company. People that shouldn't get promotions getting passed up, people's hard work getting overlooked. This happens a lot in support.

I was thankful to only catch part of that, about a year or two of that at Rackspace and most of my experience was in Infrastructure and frankly I had some of the best management that would tear down walls for me to get my job done there.

The pay is a huge thing. Over the past few years Rackspace has shifted to a more 'corporate' environment where things are siloed. It has lost that old Rackspace feel. Perhaps because Lanham has left and Taylor is our new CEO. I don't know what it is.

Thing is people are working hard and genuinely passionate about their work but not getting paid what they are worth. I found out that my market value elsewhere is at LEAST 50% more elsewhere. Sure I loved the company, but why should I not get paid for what I'm worth if I working in a corporate environment? This is the #1 reason Rackspace has lost and will lose more top talent to the Amazons, Googles, Facebooks of the world.

I do still believe in the company and people but the big dogs have beat us to the chase with Cloud. Are we a support company? Are we a tech company? Well frankly Rackspace doesn't use its devs right and one of the main customer gripes is our products failing them. I hope this get fixed.

I'd give Rackspace 3.5 overall and two years ago I'd give it a 4.5. Like I said I still believe in the company but they need to decide what direction is best for them and that may conflict with investor interests.

Advice to Management

Pay your top talent what they are worth. I know the market changes a lot but please decide what Rackspace is. You can't be a 'Master of None' in this market to survive!

"Cloud Office Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great.

Cons

Compensation increases are always pushed off because the company isn't doing well.

"Used to be a GREAT company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still many "rackers" who hold the old values of doing good work, putting the customer first, and honoring the team. Overall still had the "tech" vibe and open culture.

Cons

Senior leadership is completely disjointed and has an ever-changing set of priorities. Culture has shifted from one of openness and transparency to backstabbing and furthuring one's own agenda. Since growth trajectory has changed, the company vision is continually changing with an effort to "make something stick". The vibe and atmosphere is no longer positive.

Advice to Management

Make a better effort to keep employees feel valued. Focus on the customer and everything else will follow.

"Of a time bygone"

Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The people.

That is what this company was founded on.

Cons

Falling behind the times trying to resale others products is when the

Advice to Management

Listen to your heart and move on. GO PRIVATE and dump the investors. This problem is snowballing out of control and the company outlook is dim.

Market trends are leaning towards a buyout. Take care of the Rackers and they will take care of the company.

Showing 251 of 1,170 reviews