Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor

1,042 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,042 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance often a problem (in 29 reviews)

• Lots of dysfunctional middle management that don't fully understand their teams and objectives (in 61 reviews)

"Executive & Administrative Recruiting Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chilled out environment that let me have a voice. Never felt like anyone was not available to talk about anything. Great management experience in the end, but I was tossed around a little to try and find the right spot for me. They truly love their company, and are passionate about what it stands for: fanatical support.

Cons

No privacy. Never alone time. Small desk area. Lacks management respect from the younger generation being hired out of college, but are probably still wicked smart.

Advice to Management

No need to have 1:1 every week. Just reach out via email to see how they are doing. The meetings upon meetings are just useless. Tell them how it's going to be and then, if you get feedback, take it on from there.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment & training programs.

Cons

Lack of Direction and product's losing to competitors due to $$$ of offerings.

Advice to Management

Figure out Core idea.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Support Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Support Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment, lots of opportunities to grow. I have always felt like the company as a whole cared about its people.

Cons

Same as other companies, people leave people not companies. Need to provide better investment in manager development, market value for skills.

5. "Great company"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Good culture, easy to move up if you put work in

Cons

Just bought out, so too soon to tell

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture. Great people. Huge amount of experienced gained.

This place is perfect when you are starting your career in IT. No better place to gain 10 years of experience in a fifth of that time. Made a lot good friends and had excellent mentors.

I started out in a department that had some rough management issues but over the years it improved greatly. My confidence in management is definitely positive but as always there can be improvements, no one is perfect.

Cons

Downside is that the culture is slowly dying even more so with the Apollo acquisition. This is common when a company goes from startup to corporate so many veterans probably won't be staying for very long I believe.

This side of effect of the vast amount of experience you gain is the lack of pay you receive. Its absolutely perfect when you come in with no IT experience but any person who takes their career seriously will notice after a couple years you are severely underpaid in comparison to the market.

Advice to Management

I think the SLT is performing well in my eyes but as always improvements are needed. Engine Room leadership is solid and Network Security management is doing excellent. By no means does this mean its perfect and a lot of work still needs to be done but its definitely going in the right direction.

"Good Co. NOt what it used to be"

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Neat perks. Cool workplace.

Cons

Company going through major transitions.

8. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Culture and coworkers are great and live the core values. The benefits are good and work life balance is encouraged.

Cons

None, none, none, none, none

9. "Not Perfect, But Always Good"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

1) Rackers -- some of the most enjoyable people I've ever worked with - engineering orgs have some really incredible talent, as do some sales engineering and marketing teams.
    2) Culture -- I think the culture stuff is sometimes overplayed, but for the most part it's really true. I think being a Texas company adds something to that. It's a tech company that doesn't feel like a Silicon Valley tech company in many ways; much more family friendly, polite, just... neighborly. Neighborly is really the best way to describe it; for the most part you all get along, some become your best friends and a close part of your community, it might vary block by block, but you'll all rally together to get things done and look out for one another.
    3) Access to leadership -- There's been huge move from SLT to push VP and Director level management to get a grip on their teams and really be in touch with their managers and with individual employees -- be accessible and listen. I think we lost that for a while there, and many Rackers churned and complained loudly, but they've corrected that and I'm really proud of them for re-investing in that. Even during our buyout these past few months, I saw a big push from managers to be available and answer questions about that as quickly and honestly as they could.

Cons

1) Rackers -- As much as Rackers are a pro, some others are a really strong con about working there. The finance teams are awful to work with and are super disconnected from the rest of the business; TEC, purchasing, payment, budget, are all nightmare teams to work with, for almost every Racker.
    2) Lack of Direction -- it's been a tough 2 years here... constant re-orgs, lots of start and stops on campaigns or ideas, big gaps between vision and execution... I think alot of folks have lost faith in our brand and technical significance. I think we're turning that around now, but after 18 months of hearing "we're turning it around" before and it not happening, I understand the wary attitude from folks.
    3) Pay -- pay is painfully low outside of San Antonio, especially for markets like SF and NY. Rackspace knows it isn't competing in terms of salary and doesn't seem to care or understand cost of living outside of suburban Texas.
    4) Castle-ism -- Castle is a great place to work, but many of us are outside of that, at other sites or WFH. Programs, perks, and team activities really don't translate to other offices (except maybe Austin). Moreover, Rackspace is very much a who-you-know company, and getting things done between teams is exponentially easier when you see other teams every day, and much harder for folks outside of Castle.

Advice to Management

Keep going -- I think we're finally on a good track, and the acquisition was the best move for us. You've promised that we'll retain our culture and our headcount and our mission... you HAVE to deliver on that or you'll see very a lot of churn and on bitter terms in 1H 2017. I think we all recognize that the Apollo deal is going to change things; continue being as transparent as possible on that, don't drag out the news to us if layoffs or reductions are happening. We all know they probably are, just let us know in a reasonable manner.

Pushing SLT and mid-management to re-engage with teams and individual Rackers was a smart move; don't stop, push them to do that even more. It's how you build a family and a network of teams who will endure transition or hard times or misdirection with you, and we'll inevitably have some of that in our future. What you don't pay in salary, you make up for in terms of touch and community -- it's often not worth it to me to leave; I've had lots of other offers. But a $20k salary increase (after taxes) isn't really that much... and I'd rather stay at Rackspace where I feel respected and valued, and plugged in to a strong leader and BU that works as a team; that's worth more to me than an additional $10k a year.

I have extremely strong support and loyalty to Carla's marketing org and cannot say enough about how necessary and fantastic her changes have been. She's done everything right, and with tact and strength.

10. "Software Developer"

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Rackspace means it when they say "treat fellow employees like family and friends." At least the Blacksburg location certainly had that attitude. Everyone was friendly, accommodating, and the work environment was drama free. On top of that, I got to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. Learning is a big part of the culture, so I really loved the lecture series they often had. This was one of the best places I've ever worked and I will not forget the experience.

Cons

I guess the only con is that you get really obsessed with and committed to your work, which isn't great if you want to go start your own business. Makes it very hard to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong executive level leadership. Great work environment.

Cons

Many duplicate projects, and silos across BU's.

Showing 1,042 of 1,081 reviews