Rackspace Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

Updated September 19, 2017

San Antonio, TX Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 29 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 63 reviews)

1. "Left RAX and came back, couldn't find a better place than RAX"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace allows me family time, Work from home when needed, plenty of time off to get things done. My boss is the best boss ever (RM), my team is great, we have fun while we work hard but I can't imagine being anywhere else other than Rackspace. I left in nov 2016 and was back may 2017. Never again I'll leave this place. Team outings, video games, team lunches, friends and family values. But don't get me wrong we do work hard.

Cons

Everything about Rackspace to me is a blessing. The Cons were hard on other companies I work for. Not here. It's all balanced in my view.

Advice to Management

My leaders - just keep doing what you're doing. Keep showing you care for us not only as the professionals we are but the people we are as well outside of Rackspace. Let's keep the culture alive and make this the best company to work for, for the next 30 years!

"The Rack"

Current Employee - Finance in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of passionate smart people make an amazing culture.

Cons

Slow to embrace process and system best practices.

Advice to Management

Create more clarity and alignment across the business.

"Good place to get experience, but not a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people
    Good managers (up to your dept)

Cons

Bonus cut to yearly and will be no where near 100%
    People leaving and not backfilling
    Can't afford to pay people market wages. Seriously, They want architects on mid level support tech salary
    PE firm gutted all the fun stuff. Couldn't remember the last time I had an outing
    Losing out in the cloud...
    Look at all the C level people who left..

Writing was on the wall for me that it was time to move on.

Advice to Management

Gotta make Rackspace fun again. Why work here when I can work anywhere and experience the same culture and get paid more?

"Just OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Plenty of PTO
    - Great Co-workers
    - Relocation assistance
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- How to advance is not clear
    - Management does not provide clear path to the companies vision, if you ask a question is an on going joke of "yes"
    - Much of the Tech Talent has moved on better options
    - Compensation is not close

Advice to Management

I have been in so many meetings where advice was offered, and nothing changes based on what Technical staff offer up, you are basically told that you need to sign off on some documentation.

"Be Careful and Listen to Your Senses"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun themed environment, resume prestige, challenging work, and training available for soft and technical skills.

Cons

Poor Leadership and Management, Work piles up if you take a few days off, Smart Money Customers fleeing is probably a good place to start. HR works for the bosses, not the people (which we should already know), but they put up a front as if they are here to protect the "Racker" when CORE values are being abused by management. Lazy, Incompetent Leaders constantly create or upvote reorganizations to get a "fresh start" which steers them clear of accountability from the sinking ship that Rackspace has been since around 2012. All of the smart ones (or the ones that knew their worth and had the guts to jump ship) are gone now. You're lucky to have maybe *a few* solid leaders left, but they are either new or clinging to the very last bit of patience they have or worse, are there for just a paycheck and are just really slightly above average by skating when they could be remarkable if they gave it their full effort. A lot of bright people are turning lazy if they stay because "what's the point of working harder if I'm not going to be paid or recognized for it?"

Advice to Management

Most of the team leads are ok I guess, but I would definitely begin investigating and stack ranking your "Sr. Managers" and "VPs" with the aim of firing about 80% of them all. Chances are a few light turds will float up to the surface after the flush, but they will then see themselves out because they won't have their good ol boy network around to protect them and make them feel like they are doing anything worthwhile.

"Great company, but management needs work."

Former Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great co-workers. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

Management sucks. You are promised opportunities for growth that just do not happen. Do not ever challenge your boss. This will get you fired. Depending on your team? Keep your new ideas to yourself. No one wants nor cares to hear them.

Advice to Management

Complete revamp. There is too much of a 'Good o'le Boys' club in management that has been there to long. They watch out more for each other than those they are set to manage and mentor.

"The buyout = corporation focused"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At hire it's about 4 weeks PTO each year. With increases at 3, 5 and I believe 7 year mark.
    Average pay bands
    Depending on what team- you have the ability to some times work from home

Cons

Backfilling positions doesn't seem to happen as the buyout to go private has the company in a tight spot. Running lean is their game and the big amount of time off is spent trying not to burn out.
    All about metrics and how you stack up against teammates
    I see some teams have it much easier than others due to having the proper staffing. It really depends on your manager and whether or not your team is staffed to have a healthy career here.
    Some major changes to work life balance without your input.

Advice to Management

Please and thank you go a long way. Treat employee's as if you need them- which you do. Team leads should be just that...

"No longer what it used to be"

Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good ideas, fun work environment

Cons

Management. Senior managers and Directors no longer listen to front line managers or Rackers, but think they know best.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

"A very good place to work"

Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Time off policy is very good. The benifits are good along with the onsite resources. Working here is what you make of it. They are a few managers who could hold you back. Choose wisely who you work for. The team makes all the difference. I love the team I work with. They are all responsible and working to solve for the customer. No one is afraid of doing work the work that sucks some times. Develop a peer network. You will go far helping others at Rackspace. They will in return help you when you are in a bind. That is my advice to you. Work with other teams and be helpful and thank them.

Cons

401K is not at an industry standard. Staffing can get tight at times and that can make our support floor suffer. Causing my role to deal with complaints vs looking forward towards the customers growth or their internal pain points we need to help with.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people so we dont have to apologize as much. Encourage solutions not ticket metrics. Reward those fixing issue vs those how have high metrics. Show me a guy with high ticket touches and you will see someone who does the minimum and solves very little. Attention to detail, Reading what is being asked in the ticket and solving issues not closing tickets.

"Survive the villain phase"

Former Employee - Commercial Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

(Commercial Sales)
    -- access to senior leadership
    --a winning sales history
    --provided with tools and resources to succeed
    --strong emphasis on training and development
    -- culture driven
    -- self-expression encouraged
    --cross segment opportunities
    --competitive comp model

Cons

(Commercial Sales)
    --challenges with hiring/retaining top tier talent
    --growing gap between tenured vs recent hires
    --climbing churn rates
    --low morale due to recent layoffs

Advice to Management

Current day Rackspace continues to be an amazing place to work and grow professionally. Excuses and long term memory plague modern day Rackers.
     We will no longer compete with legacy Rackspace culture and way of life. Survival skills are in high demand right now..

Hunger, hardwork and hustle are the only virtues that will pull Rackers into the green. Peacetime is over, wartime leadership is desperately needed. The good times will return, so long as we earn the right to create it.

Showing 565 of 1,225 reviews