Rackspace Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

Updated January 13, 2018

San Antonio, TX Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some major changes to work life balance without your input (in 31 reviews)

• Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems (in 64 reviews)

"Be Careful and Listen to Your Senses"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun themed environment, resume prestige, challenging work, and training available for soft and technical skills.

Cons

Poor Leadership and Management, Work piles up if you take a few days off, Smart Money Customers fleeing is probably a good place to start. HR works for the bosses, not the people (which we should already know), but they put up a front as if they are here to protect the "Racker" when CORE values are being abused by management. Lazy, Incompetent Leaders constantly create or upvote reorganizations to get a "fresh start" which steers them clear of accountability from the sinking ship that Rackspace has been since around 2012. All of the smart ones (or the ones that knew their worth and had the guts to jump ship) are gone now. You're lucky to have maybe *a few* solid leaders left, but they are either new or clinging to the very last bit of patience they have or worse, are there for just a paycheck and are just really slightly above average by skating when they could be remarkable if they gave it their full effort. A lot of bright people are turning lazy if they stay because "what's the point of working harder if I'm not going to be paid or recognized for it?"

Advice to Management

Most of the team leads are ok I guess, but I would definitely begin investigating and stack ranking your "Sr. Managers" and "VPs" with the aim of firing about 80% of them all. Chances are a few light turds will float up to the surface after the flush, but they will then see themselves out because they won't have their good ol boy network around to protect them and make them feel like they are doing anything worthwhile.

"Great company, but management needs work."

Former Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Support Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great co-workers. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

Management sucks. You are promised opportunities for growth that just do not happen. Do not ever challenge your boss. This will get you fired. Depending on your team? Keep your new ideas to yourself. No one wants nor cares to hear them.

Advice to Management

Complete revamp. There is too much of a 'Good o'le Boys' club in management that has been there to long. They watch out more for each other than those they are set to manage and mentor.

"The buyout = corporation focused"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At hire it's about 4 weeks PTO each year. With increases at 3, 5 and I believe 7 year mark.
    Average pay bands
    Depending on what team- you have the ability to some times work from home

Cons

Backfilling positions doesn't seem to happen as the buyout to go private has the company in a tight spot. Running lean is their game and the big amount of time off is spent trying not to burn out.
    All about metrics and how you stack up against teammates
    I see some teams have it much easier than others due to having the proper staffing. It really depends on your manager and whether or not your team is staffed to have a healthy career here.
    Some major changes to work life balance without your input.

Advice to Management

Please and thank you go a long way. Treat employee's as if you need them- which you do. Team leads should be just that...

"No longer what it used to be"

Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good ideas, fun work environment

Cons

Management. Senior managers and Directors no longer listen to front line managers or Rackers, but think they know best.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

"A very good place to work"

Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Time off policy is very good. The benifits are good along with the onsite resources. Working here is what you make of it. They are a few managers who could hold you back. Choose wisely who you work for. The team makes all the difference. I love the team I work with. They are all responsible and working to solve for the customer. No one is afraid of doing work the work that sucks some times. Develop a peer network. You will go far helping others at Rackspace. They will in return help you when you are in a bind. That is my advice to you. Work with other teams and be helpful and thank them.

Cons

401K is not at an industry standard. Staffing can get tight at times and that can make our support floor suffer. Causing my role to deal with complaints vs looking forward towards the customers growth or their internal pain points we need to help with.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people so we dont have to apologize as much. Encourage solutions not ticket metrics. Reward those fixing issue vs those how have high metrics. Show me a guy with high ticket touches and you will see someone who does the minimum and solves very little. Attention to detail, Reading what is being asked in the ticket and solving issues not closing tickets.

"Survive the villain phase"

Former Employee - Commercial Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

(Commercial Sales)
    -- access to senior leadership
    --a winning sales history
    --provided with tools and resources to succeed
    --strong emphasis on training and development
    -- culture driven
    -- self-expression encouraged
    --cross segment opportunities
    --competitive comp model

Cons

(Commercial Sales)
    --challenges with hiring/retaining top tier talent
    --growing gap between tenured vs recent hires
    --climbing churn rates
    --low morale due to recent layoffs

Advice to Management

Current day Rackspace continues to be an amazing place to work and grow professionally. Excuses and long term memory plague modern day Rackers.
     We will no longer compete with legacy Rackspace culture and way of life. Survival skills are in high demand right now..

Hunger, hardwork and hustle are the only virtues that will pull Rackers into the green. Peacetime is over, wartime leadership is desperately needed. The good times will return, so long as we earn the right to create it.

"customer service technician II"

Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym inside castle. Benefits are good. Yeti fridays. (aka get drunk at after work on paydays)Most co workers are cool. Set work schedule.

Cons

Upward movement is very difficult. The promotion process is terrible. You have to take a test to prove you know your job and even if you ace the test the management team still grades your overall performance to dertermine if you deserve the "promotion" by the way its not a promotion but just a raise. Most employers have annual reviews by default to determine raises but not Cloud Office. You have to APPLY for a raise which is now annually. Cost of living is not considered. So you can work for the company for years making the same amount of money. (Which in not uncommon)Also the leadership team is very out of touch with support as they only care about metrics. It took almost 2 years before upper management even knew my name. I hated working for a company where the management employee relationship was so out of touch. Also email support members are the work horse of rackspace so if an email
    Server has a disruption (which they always do) be ready to work through lunch which means sitting at your desk for your 9 hour shift. By the way Leadership does not step in and jump on calls during these outages but instead they hound people to remain available and avoid breaks.

Advice to Management

Get to know your team and show understanding when they are overworked . Also dont expect perfect NPS when you are demanding that more interactions be taken with less support techs. The reason so many CST's have left is due to lack of opportunity and the never ending cycle of being over worked and under appreciated. Also raises are based on performance but should be given annually to all techs without the need to apply. Also there needs to be a set weekend schedule to prevent pulling people to work every weekend. The current draft process make no sense and is very inconvenient to everyone .

8. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Manager, Procurement Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager, Procurement Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace has an open floor plan that encourages quick collaboration, teamwork and easy ability to build relationships. Rackers are a focused group whereas everyone is diligent about getting their jobs done and then some. Most go above and beyond their job responsibilities. They have a good balance of the work/play dynamic that works for just about everyone. Great culture that's hard to duplicate. It comes from the Rackers, not management.

Cons

Environment can get loud at times and may be hard to focus when that happens.

Advice to Management

Encourage the current culture.

"I Thought the Grass Would be Greener"

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have free soda and coffee in the break areas. Free gym (so far).

Cons

Most employees have a "I do whatever I want attitude." No clearly defined training and very little clearly defined processes. No longer an innovative company. There aren't that many experts actually left at the company.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Learn how to run a company.

"Just OK right now"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is nice they are flexible. This is a huge thing and very nice.

Cons

They keep changing things and say this will fix it when the problem is not the tools but the process in which is implemented.

Showing 581 of 1,281 reviews