KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Rackspace Technology

Engaged Employer

Rackspace Technology

Add a Review

Rackspace Technology Employee Reviews about "rackers"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 241 of over 2,500 reviews

3.4
Rackspace Technology CEO Kevin Jones
Kevin Jones
Pros
  • "Great Culture from the Rackers(in 149 reviews)

• "Great culture and Rackers to work with(in 144 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's why all the rackers leave and go there(in 129 reviews)

• "Middle management is afraid of senior leadership because of the high risk of being fired(in 74 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Rackspace Technology and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "rackers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Company

Jan 20, 2021 - Technical Support Manager in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and Rackers to work with. Challenging and empowered to bring ideas forward.

Cons

Lots of change and moving towards a new identity at the time.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

nice

Jan 11, 2021 - Exchange Administrator in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

low wages. lot of old Rackers, good culture.

Cons

frequency changes. more lay offs.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fixed Mindset

Dec 10, 2020 - Cloud Virtualization Engineer in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with good smart people that really care about the work they are doing.

Cons

Too much middle management. SLT vision seems a bit over zealous at times (see cloud wars with AWS). Moving away from what Rackers did best and that was provide excellent support that kept customers feeling like they were more than just a ticket number that needed to get crunched.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Former glory now with managed service providor blues

Nov 21, 2020 - Project Engineer in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible schedule - lots of PTO - great health care benefits available on day 1 - ability to cross-train to any business unit - lots of available self-paced training provided with vendor partners - very friendly and helpful staff

Cons

-training is still not good enough and learning 'The Rackspace way' of doing things can take 3 - 6 months or sometimes a full year as they operate very different from most companies. Expect most training to be on the job or working to figure things out independently . -a company that started off as a webhosting and cloud servers industry leader and thinks they can still play that exact playbook 20 years later in a world of serverless, machine learning and other technologies they are too far away from them to competently support . -has had a recent (past 4 year) history of laying people off every year . -pays at least 15% or more below market value . *They will say that the missing 10%+ of comparable market pay that is missing is in your benefits and the 'luxury' of the Castle (former mall now the HQ) but when you are asked to do more with less you don't get to enjoy any of the luxuries and you will notice that mostly leadership gets to attend all gatherings , parties and events while you are stuck in your desk all day. -no longer makes proprietary technology and only focuses on providing support for AWS, GCP and Azure along with any industry buzzword and has been downplaying their own home-grown product 'Openstack' in favor of supporting infrastructure out of their control and basically re-selling AWS, Azure and GCP. -a large amount of the ' old school rackers ' (8 yrs and up) have very bad attitude and feel that they don't need to do work of lower level employees or even talk to customers on the phone (entitlement) . - as a Managed Service Provider RackSpace now relies on getting customers from the big 3 (AWS, Google, Microsoft) as customers to provide customer support that they don't want to . If any of the big 3 decide to create their own customer support it would impact Rackspace greatly. -continues to put Executive leadership pay and benefits first , buy out smaller companies (along with their debt) , and other extravagant spending such as leadership retreats during the years of layoffs . -huge indifference between 'support' (the backbone of the company) and sales, account management and leadership. Deals and promises are made to customers without thinking if the offer will even be honored for sure or even supported by Technical Staff. -management staff will try to constantly take advantage of people's low self esteem and non-realization of their own self worth using soft skill techniques and tricks . -an HR dept that servers the company first and the employees second.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Increasingly Globalized

Oct 3, 2020 - Customer Success Manager in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managers have a lot of flexibility to let their employees leave suddenly for emergencies, there’s stock offerings, over of month of PTO, and, when remote works ends, The Castle is a really cool building and can be fun.

Cons

The culture has slowly but consistently degraded and become more and more corporate. Budgets were cut for outings, and fun in office activities, pre-Covid. Most alarming is the shift to a globalized workforce, which means that US jobs are being replaced by workers in other countries. At first, it was just backfilling in India and Mexico as Rackers left, but now they actively layoff Rackers to move the roles outside the US. It started with only mangers and leadership being laid off, but now front-line Rackers are also being cut. Rackers of 10+ years are often the first to be cut. As a result, talented technical Rackers have been left unable to grow and promote, and often get cut loose if they ask for pay increases. Leadership has been asked about this strategy multiple times and has consistently answered that they are comfortable with the turn over and don’t mind the cycling in of technical talent and out flowing out of more knowledgeable techs. Customers have noticed the change, and the Rackers in charge of customer service have become increasingly stressed under larger and larger workloads as teams shift smaller, and non-US Rackers struggle to learn to pick up job with little training. There is no job security, and Rackspace pays under average because they lean on their reputation to bring talent in. I would not recommend working at Rackspace if you are come from a startup background or other technology company; however, if you’re coming from a call center background Rackspace would be a significant improvement.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

This would have been 5-Star--My Last One-up made my life living hell

Sep 7, 2020 - Senior Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great culture, good inclusion for WFH Rackers

Cons

Talent Acquisition/HCM was part of the Executive leadership team. Now, not so much. Buried somewhere in the "Legal/Administration" function. Has no visibility

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Employee Focused, Great Opportunities & Exciting Transformation Happening!

Apr 21, 2020 - Human Resources in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The People - some of the best and brightest in the industry. Focus on Wellness/Employees - have been impressed with how ahead of the curve the leadership team has been in responding to the current state of affairs - went to WFH sooner than other companies, provided a mental health day to all Rackers globally, ongoing efforts to provide necessary resources and tools for all Rackers to ensure they and their family members are healthy and safe. It has been an incredible response. Strategy/Vision - the clarity and focus on where we are going and what is expected of each and every Racker is stronger than ever. There is constant communication from the leadership team and a strong drive from the top down on how we drive business results. Our goal, priorities and recent 5 point plan are clear, purposeful and actionable. Lots of opportunities for growth and development - high learning environment for those that want to gain both breadth and depth of experience in their careers. New challenges every day! It feels good to win! We continue to have record breaking months on a number of fronts - which makes working hard that much more fun!

Cons

Understandable given everything going on right now, but work/life balance can at times be challenging.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a Data driven company

Mar 8, 2020 - Data Engineer in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture from the Rackers

Cons

Changes in culture and every thing is a priority

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Benefits, Amazing People

Jan 7, 2020 - Software Developer III in Blacksburg, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work in the Blacksburg office and it is a shining star among the dev community. One of the core values here is to treat Rackers (coworkers) like Friends and Family and it shows in our office. Everyone here knows each other by name we have monthly get togethers and many holiday events etc. Some of us play games after work together etc. everyone just has fun exploring their job and their interests together. Outside of the culture though Rackspace is an awesome place to work. I get 260 hours of PTO per year (I believe only 180 at start but even that is awesome) meaning I can take vacation and get the relaxation and recharge I need. Our office has super flexible hours some people come in as early as 5am and some as late a 11am. For Blacksburg our pay is very high as well several coworkers have stay-at-home spouses and live comfortably with multiple kids on a single salary from Rackspace. Health benefits are great as well Rackspace covers the vast majority of our health costs I believe my monthly cost is only $10-20. Rackspace might just be the best place to work for work/life balance. No one asks questions about last-minute vacation or any other reason you need to be out. Our office in particular cares about your health above all else and you do what you need to do with no real worry of any work issues. My work stays at the office.

Cons

Volatile senior leadership. It rarely affects the Blacksburg office directly since we aren't the main corporate office but since going private we have had several CEOs over the past few years with entire new leadership teams. Our office is fairly insulated as we have our own internal leadership though so as long as you go to Blacksburg I think there aren't any major cons.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not what it used to be.

Jan 30, 2020 - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have met really great people here.

Cons

Rackspace used to be a sought after place to work with tales of flexibility, career development, work-life balance, energizing culture, a company that treats its employees like family, and so much more. This was all true when I joined the company 5 years ago and now, that is ALL gone. The company's number one priority is making money and there is no culture to speak of. Pay- the party is the lowest in the market and industry and they used to say the benefits made up the difference. That was true for me and a lot of others until all that started changing. Culture- First they took away funding that was used for team members. There used to be a budget for things like birthdays or promotion celebrations, team building activities, sending flowers to a Racker who may have been ill, lost a family member or recently had a new baby. That no longer exists nor does Rackspace care about any of these life events. The company would also regularly host happy hours as a way to network across the very large business. Yes, they would include alcohol and sometimes was even on company grounds. That has since be completely stopped. Then the castle used to be full of "fueling stations" where items like tea, coffee, soda and fruit were always available to help you through your work day. All around the castle there were maybe 8 stations and that has been reduced to one station with nothing but a kitchenette. Now they have announced that there is no circumstance in which you will be allowed to work from home unless approved by the CEO himself. Good-bye flexibility. The culture started dramatically changing when lay-offs became a regular thing and the mass hiring of ill-equipped sales people started. Sales people are not properly trained but will do anything to make a sale, especially lie and step on whoever they need to be able to over sell and under deliver. They don’t know their products and consistently set unrealistic expectations for customers. It's a serious problem for all who handle them after a deal has closed and we have to tell them what they paid for doesn’t actually exist. And accountability for those sales people??? Forget it. The company is siloed and everyone is out for themselves. There is no unity, common goal or sense of belonging. There is no accountability. No follow through on development and no managers willing to go to bat for their people. It's all gone. For customers a big selling point was 24/7 American based support. That also is no longer the case. The majority of support has been outsourced to India. (We’ve all been there trying to get support from someone not in the US and we all know how frustrating that is.) For a company who wants to be considered a competitor with big tech, it clearly doesn't understand what might make them a desirable place to work. Rackspace doesn’t put customers first. Rackspace doesn’t put their people first. Rackspace puts their walker first. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

8 people found this review helpful

Rackspace Technology Response

Racker Experience Team

As we evolve and grow our business, changes are needed to ensure that we have the same high standards wherever Rackers work to ensure excellent customer service and an engaging workplace for employees. We’re excited about recent changes that enable work- from-home and flexible working arrangements for Rackers, as well as the expanded global engagement programs and newly funded site engagement programs. Our goal is that all Rackers feel they are valued members of a winning team on an inspiring mission. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for the best ways to provide a Fanatical Experience ™ for all Rackers, our customers & our community.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 241 Reviews