RadiSys Reviews in Hillsboro, OR | Glassdoor

Hillsboro, OR

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Bonson

Pros
  • Enjoy a great work & life balance with flexi hours (in 20 reviews)

• There is option to work from home when required (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Less Work life balance, or tend to work more (in 6 reviews)

• Since the entire R&D work happens from Bangalore, the onsite opportunities are relatively less (in 5 reviews)

1. "Contract Administrator"

Former Contractor - Contract Administrator in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Contract Administrator in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Legal staff was great to work with and interaction with other employees was positive. Willing to help with questions and appreciated all contributions I made.

Cons

Company was in a spiral downward and employee moral was very low. Prior multiple lay-offs and low staff levels made it feel like working in a morgue.

"Crackers"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company picnics and outings, stock options, decent pay and benefits, helpful coworkers, matched 401k, It's cheaper in the suburbs of Portland, company-paid education, paid for travel and overnight for interview, seems like a good deal if you like the working conditions and you can survive

Cons

There's about two I can list, I didn't have time for more, almost literally. I was fired after just three months. My manager called it "productivity" but he was saying I needed to get my productivity up after being there just two months. There wasn't any mention in the interview that it was expected the new person would work like 60 hours. My manager bragged about how he worked from 6:00am to 7:00pm in telling me I needed to increase my productivity. But he also made it clear in a couple of meetings that he had no idea what skills a tech. writer brought to documentation: he wanted to say what goes into a doc and I magically make people able to read instructions for multiple procedures mashed into one doc; he didn't want to hear me say the best way was to create several separate docs to keep things clear. He also complained about the lack of quality in a doc prepared quickly with minimal SME input, and it was apparent he didn't know what was in it, he just decided that it wasn't right or good enough.

There's also an amazing lack of communication between some groups, or at least this manager and other people. He had some weird argument with my lead (who he did not manage) that looked like they were brother and sister or something. He also said I should treat whatever the lead said as what he was saying, but my lead said I was doing good work and enough of it and then I was fired.

I'm assuming that manager had been laying the groundwork for firing me and had decided to let me go after just a few weeks. It seems likely the company (or the manager) decided it was too expensive to keep the position in the U.S. I noticed shortly after I was out that there was no tech. writing position opened to fill the opening I left, but a tech. writer position opened with the company in their India subsidiary.

Advice to Management

I can assume there's a die-hard, workaholic theme I didn't catch in time and wasn't able to match, so I guess I'd suggest explaining that a little more, at least in the interviews. I had a fair amount of panic and paranoia about doing enough and getting the hang of the work and the people in just the first few weeks. At least those impressions weren't wrong, but it would've given me a shot to know you have to come outta the blocks fast; the job's a sprint, not a marathon. Better communication, not just more, 'cause there was plenty of talking. The manager just said, "more productivity" without specifying what or how much. And my lead was telling me I was doing good work right up until I was fired.

3. "Cut throat environment - trust non-existent"

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great heritage - long term employees built a product set and engineering dept that were unbeatable. Good autonomy to make decisions as individuals and managers.

Cons

Extremely cutthroat environment. Individuals and execs rise and fall quickly and dramatically, producing a temporary "Christ syndrome" whenever new leadership comes into the company. Execs talk openly about their disdain for one another, meetings are brutal in terms of how they treat each other and no employee is safe from emotional swings and elimination. I discourage anyone I know from applying or accepting a position at Radisys.

Advice to Management

More to the Board: start over with the exec team and watch that compensation is not only in favor of the VP's. Super high comp to execs and negligible bonuses to the masses cause resentment as well as driving a very short term focus and therefore, poor decisions. For example, the CEO will force cuts that will result in loss of business in order to achieve 1-2 positive quarters and his associated bonus. Radisys has been circling the drain for years. Pull the plug or change the players at the top.

"Frequent restructuring, low morale"

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technologies, smart engineers. I gained useful experience, but in retrospect it was very stressful to my health and well-being. Pay started out good, but changes were made that didn't benefit employees. Now that I work somewhere else, I see how much better things can be elsewhere.

Cons

Low morale. Frequent restructuring. Culture is poor due to low morale and high stress. Employees are so overworked dealing with issues that they have very little time to collaborate or help each other. Futile chances for promotions or advancement, unless you count taking on extra work from laid off employees. Most of the company is outsourced to Asia, so expect odd working hours. Quality issues caused turmoil and upset customers. At one point the CEO's mantra was "every penny counts" - not joking.

Advice to Management

Focus on the technical vision, the customers, and the employees. Please understand that the working environment was very stressful with low morale for an extended period of time and it will take extra effort to regain trust and improve working conditions.

6. "In the midst of a difficult transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time

Pros

Leading edge technologies make for interesting projects with a broad range of responsibilities and autonomy. There's a tremendous amount of flexibility with regards to work/life balance, but that can also get carried away on the former if you don't pay attention to the latter.

Cons

Multi-site off-shore engineering can make for odd or off hours. Traditional markets are extremely challenged, shrinking and overcrowded with competitors. Traditional (good) culture of the company is fading and unclear what emerges post transition.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus! Stop hedging and commit.

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Radisys was a good place to work. They provided opportunities for growth and to work on new projects. Development was mainly offshore but once you understood the culture offshore sites where good to work with. The work environment was very fast paced.

Cons

Company had a very diverse product mix. Sometime finding the synergy between the groups was challenging. Must be willing to work non-standard hours with sales, support and engineering located throughout the world

8. "Started out as great company but now the future looks bleak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good salary, flexible hours, lots of freedom.

Cons

Company has taken a nose dive and the best employees have either been let go or jumped ship! Not sure the company is going to make it. Very low morale at work, all fringe benefits are gone, no opportunities for advancement, "every penny counts" which means forget about a raise! There is NO work-life balance. If you want to keep working there you will be plugged in 24/7. I used to enjoy working for Radisys, now those of us few who are
    left in Hillsboro are seeking other employment for fear the company will shut down. Not a happy or fun place to work anymore.

Advice to Management

Find a way to treat your remaining employees better or just sell the company. It's rough being on a sinking ship, especially when your captain would just as soon throw you overboard!

9. "Great people, struggling to move the company to the next level"

Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An environment that allows for growth and experience through wearing many hats. Flexible work environment.

Cons

If you have a problem setting boundaries for your own work-life balance you could work yourself to death.

10. "Constant reorganization and the management and business until levels since 2011."

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people used to be the best but now there are very little employees left in North America and Europe. The company has outsourced heavily to China and India in recent years.

Cons

Constant reorganizations, constant shifting business strategies, lack of direction, lack of corporate culture,

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees in North America and Europe, invest in training, need a clear short and long term vision/strategy realize the lack of gains since investing in Asia for R&D.

"Good company. Good people. I really hope they make it through recent changes!"

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to occasionally work from home when needed is great. They are usually very fair with salary and benefits. I enjoyed working here when things were growing, fast-moving, and exciting. When it was going well, and the company was US-based, I was very pleased. It was a good feeling and a good environment and I enjoyed coming to work every day.

Cons

Downhill slide for past few years is creating a poor working environment. Management has lost touch with customers and reality of situation they are in. CEO is a finance guy not a technical guy, and although he is really trying hard to right the ship, I sensed a lack of vision besides the vision of constant cost-cutting. The industry shift to cloud computing is creating a change in product relevancy. A lot of the company has shifted to Asia (engineering and manufacturing) leaving only limited roles for US employees besides upper management - no opportunities to advance or try something new. The shift to Asia created less efficiency and increased issues with product quality. There are cumbersome processes and perceived requirements that push internal efficiency problems out externally onto customers. The flexibility to occasionally work from home is both a blessing and a curse as most of the company is in Asia there is expectation to work on global schedule at odd hours, which means you will be constantly plugged in.

Advice to Management

Put the customer first and most things will self-correct. Communicate a technical vision that employees can get onboard with. Limit additional restructurings and layoffs to help stabilize morale. Give the US employees a reason to stay.