Radio Systems Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Radio Systems Corporation CEO Willie Wallace
Willie Wallace

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Plus you get to bring your dog to work" (in 30 reviews)

• "Very pet friendly as in you can bring your dog to work" (in 12 reviews)

Cons

1. "Truly a great place to work!"

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO policy, excellent work/life balance, culture of wellness and learning ... and DOGS AT WORK!

Cons

Parental leave could be better

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We are proud of the strides we have made to ensure this is a great place to work and are so glad you are enjoying some of our perks. We are currently researching parental... More

"Managers play favorites, will set you up to fail if they don't like you"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can take your dog to work. Some managers and most coworkers are easy to work with. Benefits (other than health insurance) are good.

Cons

They will set you up for failure. At the end of training, they have you sit with an employee to listen in on calls and practice taking calls. Supposedly, these employees are great examples of what it is like to work there. The agent that I sat with complained the entire time, made it clear that the job annoyed her, and generally made me wonder if the job was worth it, all before I had even completed training.

Health insurance is a rip-off (even with the HSA that is offered, you have to pay thousands out of pocket before insurance does anything).

Management plays favorites, and the employees they like are able to get away with things that other employees are fired for. Managers will tell you one thing (like your break time is ok), and then fire you because of the opposite.

If you aren't one of management's favorites, any sort of upward mobility is impossible.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. It is obvious to everyone in the office. Treat everyone equally. Make sure your managers are qualified for the job and will actually do their job, instead of sitting on their laptops planning vacations and gigs for their band. Make sure your managers can answer questions instead of responding with only "I don't know." Don't let your managers tell your employees that one thing is fine, and then turn around and fire them for that one thing. Don't lie to your employees. Don't tell them that you don't do a certain thing, and then go and do that thing for someone else.

It all boils down to your management playing favorites. Everyone from individual team managers up to the managers of the call centers have their favorite employees, and they make it obvious. If you actually treated everyone equally (such as made the same rules apply to everyone), then I would have had none of these issues.

I asked about the possibility of becoming a part-time employee because school was keeping me extremely busy, and I was told that "they don't do that." Then, a few weeks later, another employee who does the exact same job that I did was allowed to become a part-time employee because of school. Don't lie to your employees. That destroys the core of "Love Thy Customer".

3. "Wonderful Place to Work"

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling
    Dogs at work!
    Business with a great growth outlook
    Diverse place to work
    Educational assistance
    Open work environment
    Room for growth
    RSC loves to celebrate it's employees!

Cons

The only Con is the location, in the heart of West Knoxville, traffic can be a bummer sometimes!

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

We are so glad that you are enjoying your job at RSC! Our goal is to be a great place to work and to continue to strive for that goal year after year. Thank you for your feedback!

4. "Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Casual Culture
    Great Leadership
    Gives back to our community
    Very little Politics

Cons

Open office can be challenging but it is fun

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your input! We are committed to both creating an awesome culture for our team and giving back to our community. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to work hard to make sure... More

5. "Great Benefits - Great Growth Opportunities"

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work from home flexibility is fantastic
    -Benefits are fantastic...very westernized
    -Dogs at work
    -HR is always making changes to make benefits better
    -Tremendous opportunity for growth
    -This company absolutely focuses on "your" career goals, not "theirs"
    -Great people that live the companies values everyday

Cons

-Processes need clarity and simplicity
    -Needs standardization of tools and processes
    -Needs an Operations silo with (COO, VP Ops, Ops mgr., global PMO, etc.)

Advice to Management

-Continue focusing on career growth opportunities because millennials average 18 months per position. The focus on career growth will keep them engaged and excited about their future.
    -Work on clean processes and tools, standardization, simplicity
    -(biased) Continue to look for benefits for families, daycare reimbursement, contribution to DCA, and #1 paternity leave (parental leave) policy

Aug 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! Improvement is a part of our culture and your advice is exactly what we look for from teammates to make RSC an even better place to work. So glad to have you on our team!

6. "Challenging but fun, good people to work with."

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Farragut, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Farragut, TN

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dogs at work, people, management seems to care, good support for engineering in terms of equipment and technicians. Founder is a good guy, running for Governor of TN

Cons

Travel to China (good and bad), technology is not leading edge, open office structure is hard to get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It’s time to build another building soon and more parking.

Aug 8, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your review and are currently making efforts to implement new technologies to better our team - we just finished building our new design gym to encourage... More

7. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always trying something new

Cons

Too much bureaucracy from Senior Staff

Advice to Management

Be transparent, really.

Aug 8, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review Radio Systems Corporation! "Try" is one of the values that we are most proud of and we are constantly looking for new and innovative ways to make our company... More

"Just a front, they are just like the rest"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick hire turn around time

Cons

They fired me for being tardy to training even though I was doing well in class. Their reason was "sorry it's just business". I had to be late to take care of saving my car from getting repossessed.

Advice to Management

One of your values is having a win-win-win environment. Maybe try anyway practicing it instead of just putting up a front. I've worked at some of the worst call centers in Knoxville and they treated me better than this company.

Aug 27, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. During training, we want to set our teammates up for success - vital content is taught during that time that cannot be missed. We communicate the importance of... More

"Better than Most but not quite..."

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RSC does a lot of philanthropy, lots of opportunities for fun and beer at work. Yearly bonuses. Better than other companies I've worked for. Dogs in the office is a benefit you get nearly nowhere else. Some departments allow some ability to work-at-home.

Cons

Open office environment doesn't fit everyone's needs. Interruptions reduce productivity drastically. Catastrophic health insurance isn't what you would expect a company of this size to offer its employees. If you are in a "support" department rather than a revenue-producing department you are bound to be shorthanded and under-funded. Like most companies of this size and larger, there are plenty of political games. Compensation for many areas is quite low.

Advice to Management

If you really want the company to be built to last then allow then don't understaff and underfund the support teams that enable them to do their jobs. Ditch the open office concept and let each department do what works for them. Take care of the employees with better compensation to reduce the growing turnover. Give people a reason to stay.

Jun 11, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! Our open office environment is fundamental to our culture, although we do understand that it can be distracting at times. We are working on open office best practices to... More

"Incredible company"

Current Employee - Trainer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Trainer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Radio Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The attention provided to my on boarding and continuous follow up has been incredible. It is all about the employee, from unbelievable benefits, competitive pay and the team mentality that is more than a break room poster narrative! The company provides accessibility to all levels of management and truly values me as an employee. The pride and competence of the folks within the organization is displayed by performance and positive attitude. The ability to perform with excellent tools, systems products and support contribute to my personal success, promote our product and create a environment of success

Cons

That it took me so long to find this job!

Advice to Management

Continue the great model and strategy that Have created a winning environment!

Apr 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for the positive feedback - We will definitely give Kudos to our on boarding team. Glad to you have as part of our winning team!