RadioShack Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Horrible last year."

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around.

Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks.

As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region.

Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.
    I did not want to leave RadioShack -I liked my job. I liked the people I worked with; I liked the customers whom I helped daily. I liked making yearly bonuses at my previous store. I’m grateful to RadioShack for the time I was there and the management I’d worked for over the years. RadioShack was not just a job to me but a career path in which I would have liked to be a District Manager myself one day. But Reginald Weekly was an unprofessional racist bully who offered me no room to grow with the company and showed me little hope for its future. I would think that if RadioShack hired a district manager in that district who put a small degree of effort into growing their employees, instead of just lambasting and threatening them, it could probably double its growth in 2013. I hope this blog helps all of the managers who are afraid to come forward and speak the truth about Reginald Weekly, and I hope it helps RadioShack to see that sometimes you need a soft hand to build profits instead of a shaky fist.

"This company used to be great to work for"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

The company itself is failing hard, and micro manage everything.
    There is no reason to do well, besides the constant threats of getting wrote up or fired for not meeting silly goals.
    Very few items to actually sell worth anything. Which leaves extra pay very low besides your base pay.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the people in the actual stores what your plans are for the company and why we do things we do. Because at this point it all feels like grasping for straws.

3. "Started My Sales Career With RadioShack"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hobart, IN

I worked at RadioShack (More than 3 years)

Pros

Knowledge of the latest cell phone technology. Good pay, ok benefits. Flexible scheduling. Fun atmosphere. Small stores and light staff so you build relationships with customers in a one-on-one setting.

Cons

Large corporation with way too many levels of management, as a result, information travels very slowly through the chain of command. Procedures and policies were constantly changing.

4. "Job not career"

Former Employee - Client Operations Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Operations Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Hours, Learning curve, team members, work place, time off

Cons

Pay, administration, corporate culture, Advancement, Hiring process

Advice to Management

Up pay scale

5. "Up To You"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fox Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fox Lake, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people, a lot of great opportunities, fairly easy job for decent pay

Cons

Corporate does not care and sometimes seems clueless as to what they are doing

Advice to Management

Get their crap together and realize how critical it is to treat their employees right in order to run a good business.

"Your experience will depend on your store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Crown Point, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Crown Point, IN

I worked at RadioShack (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good way for me to develop my interpersonal skills.

Cons

Managers were constantly under pressure to perform since RadioShack was not doing very well. It was no surprise RadioShack went bankrupt. With places like Best Buy, Amazon, and corporate retailers such as AT&T there was pretty much no reason to even shop at RadioShack unless you are an electronics hobbyist. Even then, you can get better deals online. Towards the end of my time working there, RadioShack corporate decided to sell t-shirts. Who goes to RadioShack to buy t-shirts? That place was a joke.

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good pay and better people.

Cons

Nothing bad besides them closing stores

Advice to Management

Keep it up

8. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company, Great Managers, Great Discounts

Cons

Horrible pay for being a supervisor

Advice to Management

Come back to business

9. "Sales Technician"

Former Employee - Sales Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really steady work, reliable and loyal customer base. working with electronics was a bonus for me.

Cons

It was not a big box store so sales suffered slightly because certain items had to be ordered, and customers preferred to drive to nearest best buy or other retailer

10. "They still exist"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Matteson, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Matteson, IL

I have been working at RadioShack (More than a year)

Pros

Not to many places sale small computer parts anymore, luckily we have RadioShack

Cons

The Bankruptcy has left them wounded

Showing 53 of 2,673 reviews